County Championship Div 2 Kent v Sussex at the Nevill

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
OK, he is never going to play for England again, nor is any other old county pro.

So just move on, I know that is a struggle at times, but for this one leave it.

Why not if the youngest arent ready of not capable surely as a short term fix to give them time. Should be considered.

Who are the alternatives who havent been tried and failed?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Why not if the youngest arent ready of not capable surely as a short term fix to give them time. Should be considered.

On that basis they may as well get Ian Bell back in.

I think what you are forgetting is that Trescothick has made it clear he does not want to be considered for England and now into his 40's it is not a sensible move.

Also, Hales had a decent enough series against Sri Lanka, so whilst he has some question marks over his technique, I am not sure the openers are the current concern. 4 and 5 look far more iffy than the openers at the moment.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In the not to distant past we usually had a start with 100 for the first wicket or thereabouts. How we could do with that now. That is going back to the days ov Vaughan and Strauss

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
In the not to distant past we usually had a start with 100 for the first wicket or thereabouts. How we could do with that now. That is going back to the days ov Vaughan and Strauss

The batting order has been flaky for a while, but bringing in Trescothick is not the fix.

Root should be left at 4 and if Taylor had not had to quit, I suspect he would have been a three and there would be less question marks.

Currently England do not have many players that can still around, but Trescothick was not a sedate player either.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Did they not have a similar problem and there were calls to bring back Ramprekash who excelled in the county game. Going back further we did it a number of times with Tom Graveney but as they say form is temporary class is permenant.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Should Taylor not be marshaling the tail? Him and Magoffin have been in for four overs, Magoffin facing the majority of the deliveries.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
6 players could not get into double figures on the same wicket which Kent scored almost 600 on , not hard to see where the problem is , same on Friday night , can't believe how far the team has fallen in quality over the last 3 years

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They make the odd decent score but also throw their wicket away quite often so not to be relied on.

Root makes the 'odd decent score' and is 'not to be relied on'. FFS..........4th in Test, 7th in ODI and 5th in T20 in World Rankings. Yeah, get rid and bring Mike Gatting back.

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
They make the odd decent score but also throw their wicket away quite often so not to be relied on.
That's an odd statement to make, Root is ranked number 4 ICC test batsman and 7 ODI batsman, I'm pretty sure he was number 1 in tests recently too.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
333 all out ,Our last valiant 6 batsmen managed 26 runs between them on a track best described as very flat with no or little pace , shambolox so it is , other than Taylor the rest need to spend their match fees on some canbearsed pills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here