Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

counties in england never to have a league side....ever, ever EVER?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Not strictly on the subject, but is this the first time in history that there have been more Football League clubs in Sussex than in Lincolnshire?

You must be right. Lincolnshire lost had four but lost Grimsby Town, Lincoln City and Boston United whilst Sussex went from one to two.

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
OK, I'm going to finally answer this question for once and always (That's unless in the future, a county currently not represented in the league gains a league club! :rolleyes:).

Here are the Traditional Counties of England (The Real Counties!!!)... And Yes folks, they do still exist!!!... Department for Communities & Local Government..., with the league clubs, competing in the 2014/15 season, located within them...

Bedfordshire Luton Town

Berkshire Reading

Buckinghamshire Wycombe Wanderers, Milton Keynes Dons

Cambridgeshire Cambridge United

Cheshire Tranmere Rovers, Crewe Alexandra

Cornwall None

Cumberland Carlisle United

Derbyshire Chesterfield, Derby County

Devon Exeter City, Plymouth Argyle

Dorset None

Durham Hartlepool United, Sunderland

Essex Dagenham & Redbridge, Southend United, Colchester United, Leyton Orient, West Ham United

Gloucestershire Cheltenham Town,

Hampshire Portsmouth, Bournemouth, Southampton

Herefordshire None

Hertfordshire Stevenage, Watford

Huntingdonshire None

Kent Gillingham, Charlton Athletic

Lancashire Accrington Stanley, Bury, Morecambe, Fleetwood Town, Oldham Athletic, Preston North End, Rochdale, Blackburn Rovers, Blackpool, Bolton Wanderers, Wigan Athletic, Burnley, Everton, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United

Leicestershire Leicester City

Lincolnshire Scunthorpe United

Middlesex Brentford, Fulham, Arsenal, Chelsea, Queen's Park Rangers, Tottenham Hotspur

Norfolk Norwich City

Northamptonshire Northampton Town, Peterborough United

Northumberland Newcastle United

Nottinghamshire Mansfield Town, Notts County, Nottingham Forest

Oxfordshire Oxford United

Rutland None

Shropshire Shrewsbury Town

Somerset Bristol City, Yeovil Town

Staffordshire Burton Albion, Port Vale, Walsall, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Stoke City, West Bromwich Albion

Suffolk Ipswich Town

Surrey AFC Wimbledon, Millwall, Crystal Palace

Sussex Crawley Town, Brighton & Hove Albion

Warwickshire Coventry City, Birmingham City, Aston Villa

Westmorland None

Wiltshire Swindon Town

Worcestershire None

Yorkshire York City, Barnsley, Bradford City, Doncaster Rovers, Sheffield United, Huddersfield Town, Leeds United, Middlesbrough, Rotherham United, Sheffield Wednesday, Hull City

Plus, the Welsh league clubs competing in the English League System...

Glamorgan Cardiff City, Swansea City

Monmouthshire Newport County

Therefore the counties which will not have league representation next season are Cornwall, Dorset, Herefordshire, Huntingdonshire, Rutland, Westmorland and Worcestershire.

However in the past Herefordshire has been represented in the league by Hereford United and Worcestershire by Kidderminster Harriers.

Therefore the answer to the question, "Counties in England never to have a league side....ever, ever EVER?" are...
  • Cornwall
    [*]Dorset
    [*]Huntingdonshire
    [*]Rutland
    [*]Westmorland

Thank you and Good Night! :thumbsup:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
OK, I'm going to finally answer this question for once and always (That's unless in the future, a county currently not represented in the league gains a league club! :rolleyes:).

Here are the Traditional Counties of England (The Real Counties!!!)... And Yes folks, they do still exist!!!... Department for Communities & Local Government..., with the league clubs, competing in the 2014/15 season, located within them...

Bedfordshire Luton Town

Berkshire Reading

Buckinghamshire Wycombe Wanderers, Milton Keynes Dons

Cambridgeshire Cambridge United

Cheshire Tranmere Rovers, Crewe Alexandra

Cornwall None

Cumberland Carlisle United

Derbyshire Chesterfield, Derby County

Devon Exeter City, Plymouth Argyle

Dorset None

Durham Hartlepool United, Sunderland

Essex Dagenham & Redbridge, Southend United, Colchester United, Leyton Orient, West Ham United

Gloucestershire Cheltenham Town,

Hampshire Portsmouth, Bournemouth, Southampton

Herefordshire None

Hertfordshire Stevenage, Watford

Huntingdonshire None

Kent Gillingham, Charlton Athletic

Lancashire Accrington Stanley, Bury, Morecambe, Fleetwood Town, Oldham Athletic, Preston North End, Rochdale, Blackburn Rovers, Blackpool, Bolton Wanderers, Wigan Athletic, Burnley, Everton, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United

Leicestershire Leicester City

Lincolnshire Scunthorpe United

Middlesex Brentford, Fulham, Arsenal, Chelsea, Queen's Park Rangers, Tottenham Hotspur

Norfolk Norwich City

Northamptonshire Northampton Town, Peterborough United

Northumberland Newcastle United

Nottinghamshire Mansfield Town, Notts County, Nottingham Forest

Oxfordshire Oxford United

Rutland None

Shropshire Shrewsbury Town

Somerset Bristol City, Yeovil Town

Staffordshire Burton Albion, Port Vale, Walsall, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Stoke City, West Bromwich Albion

Suffolk Ipswich Town

Surrey AFC Wimbledon, Millwall, Crystal Palace

Sussex Crawley Town, Brighton & Hove Albion

Warwickshire Coventry City, Birmingham City, Aston Villa

Westmorland None

Wiltshire Swindon Town

Worcestershire None

Yorkshire York City, Barnsley, Bradford City, Doncaster Rovers, Sheffield United, Huddersfield Town, Leeds United, Middlesbrough, Rotherham United, Sheffield Wednesday, Hull City

Plus, the Welsh league clubs competing in the English League System...

Glamorgan Cardiff City, Swansea City

Monmouthshire Newport County

Therefore the counties which will not have league representation next season are Cornwall, Dorset, Herefordshire, Huntingdonshire, Rutland, Westmorland and Worcestershire.

However in the past Herefordshire has been represented in the league by Hereford United and Worcestershire by Kidderminster Harriers.

Therefore the answer to the question, "Counties in England never to have a league side....ever, ever EVER?" are...
  • Cornwall
    [*]Dorset
    [*]Huntingdonshire
    [*]Rutland
    [*]Westmorland

Thank you and Good Night! :thumbsup:

Peterborough is in Cambridgeshire.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Bristol south of the River Avon is in Somerset. Ashton Gate is in Somerset...
http://wikishire.co.uk/map/#Bedminster@51.44,-2.597

No that is Bedminster on that map.
Look up Bristol on Wiki, it says Bristol was part of Gloucestersire until 1873 when it became a county in its own right.

I know it was in Avon for a while and that included parts of North Somerset, I think.

I'm not sure that your map proves that Bristol City centre, not suburbs are in Somerset.

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
No that is Bedminster on that map.
Look up Bristol on Wiki, it says Bristol was part of Gloucestersire until 1873 when it became a county in its own right.

I know it was in Avon for a while and that included parts of North Somerset, I think.

I'm not sure that your map proves that Bristol City centre, not suburbs are in Somerset.

Bristol is not a traditional county. Ashton Gate is in Somerset... http://wikishire.co.uk/map/#BS32EJ Therefore Bristol City is a Somerset Club.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Sorry, but is Plymouth in Cornwall, or not?:confused:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I rest my case... :clap:

You can't get more Zummerzet than the Wurzels! :lolol::hilton:

Bedminster, where YOU say Bristol City FC is was in Somerset until 1831.

BCFC founded 1894 as Bristol South End and changed to BCFC in 1897.

Moved to Ashton Gate in 1904.

Are you following here? When this part of Bristol was in Somerset ( as you say) THERE WAS NO BRISTOL CITY FC.

I rest my case, now get back on your combine harvester and do one.:hilton:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Bristol is not a traditional county. Ashton Gate is in Somerset... http://wikishire.co.uk/map/#BS32EJ Therefore Bristol City is a Somerset Club.
Its not and never has been, the county of North Somerset starts about half a mile down the A370 from Aston Gate, I should know, I pass the sign every day on my motorbike heading home South out of the city......Ashton Gate is in Ashton Vale, not Bedminster.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Its not and never has been, the county of North Somerset starts about half a mile down the A370 from Aston Gate, I should know, I pass the sign every day on my motorbike heading home South out of the city......Ashton Gate is in Ashton Vale, not Bedminster.

Er, Surely that's a modern sign? This is about current ground locations in relation to original English county geography (ie going back to the 15th century or whatever), not about where county boundaries currently are. Love that you're getting in a hissy fit re Bristol City being in Somerset yet happy with Bmuff in Hants, most London clubs in Middlesex etc. I used to live five minutes walk from Ashton Gate (in Southville) and even I knew I was in the HISTORICAL COUNTY of Somerset. As the map clearly demonstrates. Zoom in. The county border was the Avon. Everything south of it (plus Spike Island) was Somerset.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
220px-Bournemouth_UK_locator_map.svg.png
Wiltshire?

Part of Arsenal

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Er, Surely that's a modern sign? This is about current ground locations in relation to original English county geography (ie going back to the 15th century or whatever), not about where county boundaries currently are. Love that you're getting in a hissy fit re Bristol City being in Somerset yet happy with Bmuff in Hants, most London clubs in Middlesex etc. I used to live five minutes walk from Ashton Gate (in Southville) and even I knew I was in the HISTORICAL COUNTY of Somerset. As the map clearly demonstrates. Zoom in. The county border was the Avon. Everything south of it (plus Spike Island) was Somerset.

Ok are you saying Bristol City FC was formed when that part of Bristol was in Somerset?
As that part of the city was Avon at one point, do you know when it changed from Somerset to Avon.

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
Ok are you saying Bristol City FC was formed when that part of Bristol was in Somerset?
As that part of the city was Avon at one point, do you know when it changed from Somerset to Avon.

What's all this 'was in Somerset' business?! The traditional/historic counties still exist, as pointed out on my first post on this thread, so therefore Bristol City FC are a Somerset club. :hilton::hilton:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here