Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Countdown to ***OFFICIAL*** iPhone 4G announcement

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
For me the reasons I don't currently have an iPhone are:

a) Its size. I want a phone to be slim and unnoticeable in my pocket however the current iPhone is just that little bit too fat.

b) It cannot multitask. This is something that I would struggle with. I currently run a multitude of applications concurrently at any one time on my Nokia. I like to be able to listen to Spotify, keep up with Twitter, surf the internet and have the phone checking for emails in the background all at the same time.

c) The cost. I've been a loyal O2 customer for a good few years and when it comes to upgrade time they are only too happy to offer me free handsets and extra minutes, texts, data etc at a reduced monthly rate. That is UNLESS I want an iPhone. Apple refuses to discount the handsets at all and so the networks find it very difficult to offer them at promotional rates and as a result a sub £30 monthly contract is unheard of.

Now I am LOVING the look of the new iPhone and am a big Apple fan. HOWEVER whilst they've obviously fixed the problem with its chubbiness you just know it's going to cost a packet and I just don't want to pay more each month for my phone contract.

They've certainly upped their game BUT it means other manufacturers will just have to up theirs to compete and offer rival handsets that don't have to cost the earth

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Only 1 year into a 2 year contract on my iPhone 3G - (contract ends 1/6/11 which coincidentally is when Falmer should be completed!!) so by the time I can upgrade, I will probably be able to get the iPhone 4GS!!

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003

a) Its size. I want a phone to be slim and unnoticeable in my pocket however the current iPhone is just that little bit too fat.

b) It cannot multitask. This is something that I would struggle with. I currently run a multitude of applications concurrently at any one time on my Nokia. I like to be able to listen to Spotify, keep up with Twitter, surf the internet and have the phone checking for emails in the background all at the same time.

c) The cost. I've been a loyal O2 customer for a good few years and when it comes to upgrade time they are only too happy to offer me free handsets and extra minutes, texts, data etc at a reduced monthly rate. That is UNLESS I want an iPhone. Apple refuses to discount the handsets at all and so the networks find it very difficult to offer them at promotional rates and as a result a sub £30 monthly contract is unheard of.

Now I am LOVING the look of the new iPhone and am a big Apple fan. HOWEVER whilst they've obviously fixed the problem with its chubbiness you just know it's going to cost a packet and I just don't want to pay more each month for my phone contract.

They've certainly upped their game BUT it means other manufacturers will just have to up theirs to compete and offer rival handsets that don't have to cost the earth

I know smartphone and contracts are coming down in price, but I'm still only paying a tenner a month on Pay As You Go. For this I get the calls, free texts and the prize each month from O2.

What I would like to know from people who have smartphones now, is what advantages does this have over your old phone.

dingobruce

Oct 21, 2009
SE4 9UL

Dont agree with this at all! When I got my iPhone it was so unnoticable in mypocket that at first I would often pat my pockets down thinking I'd lost it! This was after upgrading from an LG smart phone which was small in size as well. The iphone may not be the absoloute thinnest phone on the market, but the curved shape on the back makes it almost unnoticable in your pocket!

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing

I'll give you Spotify but you can have the phone check for emails and check your Twitter whilst you surf as you can enable push notifications for those apps that'll pop up a message / play a noise when there is something new to read.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
O2 have said they will be offering a special upgrade deal for those already in contract so anyone who has 6 months left on their iPhone 3GS contract should be able to do an upgrade. NICE!!!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Hmm It certainly looks beautiful but am just trying to digest some of the new features:

Face Time- Haven't mobile dabbled with video calling before and it never really took off. Just how desperate is your need to see the person you are calling? And of course it will only work if the person you are taling to has I Phone 4 and critically you can only do it over WI-FI. Good job they say have improved the battery because you are going to need it for this feature.

Video and camera featurs look great. However, most people who are really keen on decent photos tend to use a dedicated camera. In addition. all taht processing for HD video may effect battery life plus saving projects may eat up memory. I would also query as to how many people indulge such an amount of video work that they then need to pay for a video editing app to work on that mobile screen.

On a personal note i don;t understand why there is not a simple option to change the QWERTY keyboard to an old style phone pad. I just don't get on with two thumb texting land ike the ability to text one handed with just one thhumb. Surely this is possible and it could still use Applles spin on T9 predictive. Of couese i may be talking kack and and there i an app for that!

I an long overdue a new phone but am struggling to choose between an Iphone 4 or the HTC Desire. For Straight 'out of the box' useability for non techies the Ihone wins easily and teh Apps Store is very well developed. However, the Android Market is growing and its alot easier to customise your phone to look and feel exactly how you want it to.

Stinky Pete

Aug 31, 2009
London
I have never understood why people get an iPod touch.. Why not just get the iPhone? Everything you need all in one bundle of sexyness

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I have never understood why people get an iPod touch.. Why not just get the iPhone? Everything you need all in one bundle of sexyness

Memory space. Or at least, that's my reason. Until they do 64gb+ on the iphone, I have to settle for the ipod touch. That, plus, I like my phone, it does what I need, is better for many things than the iphone, or at least than the iphone used to be. Most importantly it has an FM radio (which I listen to when out on match day).

Last edited:

Stinky Pete

Aug 31, 2009
London
Memory space. Or at least, that's my reason. Until they do 64gb+ on the iphone, I have to settle for the ipod tough. That, plus, I like my phone, it does what I need, is better for many things than the iphone, or at least than the iphone used to be. Most importantly it has an FM radio (which I listen to when out on match day).

Good answer. Must admit i was a bit gutted they didn't reveal a 64gb iPhone yesterday.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I've got a 64gb iPod Touch and a HTC Hero, perfect combo for me. Will probably be back on iPhone once my HTC contract runs out (Nov 2011) though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here