Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could there be a return to terracing?

Brian Fairey

Southern Scouse
Dec 12, 2011
I cant see it happening until the authorities admit that they were to blame for the tragedy in the first place, not the fans.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not sure I understand your comment.

As I understand it the Hamburg terrace was a stand which was converted to a changeable terrace/all seater stand quite easily. It converts from one to the other and back again with ease. When it is configured as a seated stand it provides the same amount of seats as it did before. When it is converted to terrace then you can get at twice as many in as every step is stood on, as opposed to every two steps sat on. As I said the beauty of their set up is the simplicity. Trust me, German engineers make life easy for themselves.

I have just been reminded that the stadium was rebuilt in the 90s so the mixed use terrace might have been built into the design as opposed to simply slapped on top of the existing stand which is what I believed. Either way it is a very neat piece of kit and I doubt it would be that difficult to install in an existing stand. Germans would find a easy way to do it.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
If a section of the Amex were made safe standing, I'd move there immediately. But the fact is that it will simply never happen. Clubs can charge a lot more for a seat, the individual sitting in it can be identified in season ticket areas, troublemakers more easily identified and removed, etc etc. All the reasons the football authorities, the police and the clubs like seating will always far, far outweigh the fact that many fans prefer to stand.

I've signed the petition too, and get regular updates on the Safe Standing Campaign from the FSA, but this is one we simply won't win. :nono:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Eh? With the size of the seats at the Amex you could fit two people standing in that space. If it's £25 a seat then you could charge £15 to stand. So the club would actually make more money.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I wasn't referring to our club specifically, old boy. I was talking about 'clubs', and perhaps should have said 'top flight clubs', which is all that matter in this respect. Chelsea, Arsenal and the like are charging upwards of £50-£60 for a seat and have pumped millions into upgrading their stadia or building new ones - do you think the power brokers among the clubs have even the vaguest interest in reverting to terracing? Not a chance.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Oh I see. In which case, you're right. I don't are what happens at Chelsea etc though, I only care what happens at our club. And if the unthinkable happened and the powers that be saw sense and allowed it, I would have thought the Albion would make it happen ASAP. In fact, I'm sure they've said they would before.

Imagine the North Stand as a modern, 3500 capacity terrace. How many did the old North at the Goldstone hold? 4000?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here