Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could there be a return to terracing?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
aNYONE KNOW WHAT GROUND THIS IS FROM?

This is not from Bayer but they have a similar arrangement where each step has a rail. Hamburg is the best. I've been up close and seen how their convertible terrace works. It's an engineering masterpiece: difficult to explain but every second step of the 'terrace' is a long aluminum step/box which has a hinge at the back. The step can be lifted back on itself so the top of this second step rests on the top of the step behind, and the underneath has a seat inside it. The beauty is the simplicity of the design.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Its got more to do with British football stadia having more than 100 years of deaths involving terraces

This is a weak/stupid arguement. How can you possibly compare a stadium from a hundred years ago with the current technology?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can't argue with that obviously as it's all too true, but I have to say that's a very negative, but also very British, response. Yup, we've had deaths on terraces in the past, so best not have standing at football again under any circumstances eh? Better safe than sorry, Health and Safety, can't be too careful, etc etc etc.

True, we are a very risk averse and conservative nation. It's a shame as we all know how enjoyable terracing is. We all look forward to Peterboro. And that terrace at Dortmund goes on and on and on. It is jaw dropping to look at and to score a goal at that end must be the stuff of dreams.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
This is not from Bayer but they have a similar arrangement where each step has a rail. Hamburg is the best. I've been up close and seen how their convertible terrace works. It's an engineering masterpiece: difficult to explain but every second step of the 'terrace' is a long aluminum step/box which has a hinge at the back. The step can be lifted back on itself so the top of this second step rests on the top of the step behind, and the underneath has a seat inside it. The beauty is the simplicity of the design.

Thats the Germans all over. We should get them over here to design similar.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Clever fuckers them Germans :moo:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thats the Germans all over. We should get them over here to design similar.

The north stand at the AMEX would be awesome if it was terracing.

By the way, how are the trains today? Is it worth me trying to get to London?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Clever fuckers them Germans :moo:

I'm being careful with my responses today otherwise [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] will be after my anti-Brit tail :smile:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My best man went to Wolfsburg recently. He happened to notice that the screen saver on the iPhone of the bloke sitting next to him was a topless photo of the lady sat the otherside. My friend was not very subtle and the German guy showed him the photo and muttered something along the lines of 'blah blah gut, jah'. The girl smiled and they all took another mouthful of beer. I do miss my German football.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

By the way, how are the trains today? Is it worth me trying to get to London?

No problems today old chap thankfully! Tho I think the 7.14 had five coaches instead of the usual ten.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Most definitely. With all ticket matches now I see no reason why we cant go back to terracing, its the same with seats. Allocate a number allowed in that area(s) and stick to it.

Its really NOT rocket science.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Safe standing terracing can easily be designed. Sure the way barriers were laid out on the old style terraces was a recipe for disaster but some of those German stadium look superb & the layout of the barriers is designed to stop crowd surges, why not here? I would love to stand at matches, as said by others, perhaps just the north stand. Fully support campaign for a return of terracing.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/03/23/SOCCER_Standing.html&BID=165

so, more women and kids at games is more important than atmosphere?

is not football to get away from the women and [young] kids for a bit?

pah

Not surprised the Premier League are against it. More kids & wimmen = more spent in the 'Superstore', whereas 'lads' on an improvised nu-terrace (the old school terracing will NEVER be seen again at the high leagues) are more prone to just take the match experience in and have a laugh, without the commercial add-ons.

Profit margins trump everything for these bloated monopoly player cnuts

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

The problem is that the technology requires a bigger footprint for this. So putting it into existing stada will usually reduce capacity, in some cases by as much as 40%.

The whole idea is quite simply a non-starter. Clubs have spent many millions on all-seater grounds over the past decade. That's lots of money spent on something that would be ripped out. And all the big clubs want to play european competitions. And to play in them, the stadia has to be an all seater.
so why would a Premier League club that wants to play in europe, and whose ground satisfies the UEFA criteria, pay to rip out perfectly good seats that could be used for both Europan and domestic games and install fewer replacements that would convert to terracing for domestic games only.

Oh and Germany used their hosting of the World Cup to galvanise the upgrade of grounds and the building of new grounds

Last edited:

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Most definitely. With all ticket matches now I see no reason why we cant go back to terracing, its the same with seats. Allocate a number allowed in that area(s) and stick to it.

Its really NOT rocket science.

It is terracing

just got seats on it:lolol:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Would love to have standing back again - and safety isn't an issue if they're designed properly. Relatively small areas, with separate entrances that don't allow any more through the turnstiles when the allocated capacity is reached. Simples

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
i'm struggling to understand this..........could you explain it please?

Geometry. Eeeeeeees complicated.

But basically you need more facilities (toilets etc) bigger access points, bigger structures to cope with the loads, seats that convert take up more space than seats that don't, which take up more space than standing only areas.

and most of our all seaters are conversions of old stadiums whicch didn't require the safety work that the legiislation now demands. Bit like trying to fit a new car into a 1960s garage............

For instance, the new Wembley Stadium (on the same footprint of the old one) holds less people than the old one but is at least three times bigger (taller) than its predecessdor
section_wembley_oldnew.png

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The problem is that the technology requires a bigger footprint for this. So putting it into existing stada will usually reduce capacity, in some cases by as much as 40%.

The whole idea is quite simply a non-starter. Clubs have spent many millions on all-seater grounds over the past decade. That's lots of money spent on something that would be ripped out. And all the big clubs want to play european competitions. And to play in them, the stadia has to be an all seater.
so why would a Premier League club that wants to play in europe, and whose ground satisfies the UEFA criteria, pay to rip out perfectly good seats that could be used for both Europan and domestic games and install fewer replacements that would convert to terracing for domestic games only.

Oh and Germany used their hosting of the World Cup to galvanise the upgrade of grounds and the building of new grounds

I'm not sure I understand your comment.

As I understand it the Hamburg terrace was a stand which was converted to a changeable terrace/all seater stand quite easily. It converts from one to the other and back again with ease. When it is configured as a seated stand it provides the same amount of seats as it did before. When it is converted to terrace then you can get at twice as many in as every step is stood on, as opposed to every two steps sat on. As I said the beauty of their set up is the simplicity. Trust me, German engineers make life easy for themselves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here