Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could there be a return to terracing?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Absolutely not, and will never happen and rightly so. Pleased the Premier League have been swift in responding to this and making clear their view that terracing should not be bought back.

Why not? What possible reason can there be that it is safe in Germany but not safe here?

A more conventional terrace like at Borussia Dortmund where seats are installed for international matches:

That terrace in Dortmund is made up of numerous 'pens', with their own seperate entrances that you can only enter if your ticket is for that pen, so no more than a few thousand can be in one pen. It's basically like 8 of the terraces at Peterborough all put together, rather than one massive 25,000 capacity terrace. Very simple, very safe.

What possible reason is there that we couldn't do that here? The reason is that the Germans' want to stand at football, and the Germans' don't take shit like we do so they make sure it happens. If they took away the terracing then they wouldn't go. And they actually wouldn't, rather than moan about it like we do but still put up with it. Same with ticket prices.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
With the advent of all ticket matches I dont see how it can be a safety issue anymore.

Gone are the days of 000s piling in to a terrace with no idea on numbers.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Premier League have said they dont want it. dont understand why really, something to do with all seater encouraging women and children, which is condescending on so many different levels.

Police are against, not on the grounds of saftey, but because they believe all seater makes for better (easier) policing. how having an assigned place to stand rather than sit is more difficult, is not explained. What they do have a saftey concern over is standing in the current seated stands, with nothing to prevent a "cascade crowd crush" i think i read, which i suppose might be a problem.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
These look really uncomfortable if you have to sit in them:
_42692677_bremen203.jpg

I imagine the top bar of the seat in front might get in your eyeline a bit.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
It’s good to see that MLS, which is fairly new to the soccer stadium business, has been listening to its fans.

There are 3 standing sections at the new Red Bull arena and the Colorado Rapids have announced their plans for a supporters terrace behind the goal area at their ground.

rapids supporters-terrace.jpg

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
Police are against, not on the grounds of saftey, but because they believe all seater makes for better (easier) policing. how having an assigned place to stand rather than sit is more difficult, is not explained. What they do have a saftey concern over is standing in the current seated stands, with nothing to prevent a "cascade crowd crush" i think i read, which i suppose might be a problem.

My friend went to the opening World Cup game in South Africa - where I'm pretty sure they were all seater stadiums - and said that when South Africa scored their goal, he ended up about 20 yards away from his seat. No one complained then because they were enjoying themselves, as you should do at football. Personally I've seen plenty of people go arse over tit and take a few people with them when their side's scored and no one's had an issue with it other than stewards.

Why not? What possible reason can there be that it is safe in Germany but not safe here?

That terrace in Dortmund is made up of numerous 'pens', with their own seperate entrances that you can only enter if your ticket is for that pen, so no more than a few thousand can be in one pen. It's basically like 8 of the terraces at Peterborough all put together, rather than one massive 25,000 capacity terrace. Very simple, very safe.

What possible reason is there that we couldn't do that here? The reason is that the Germans' want to stand at football, and the Germans' don't take shit like we do so they make sure it happens. If they took away the terracing then they wouldn't go. And they actually wouldn't, rather than moan about it like we do but still put up with it. Same with ticket prices.

Its got more to do with British football stadia having more than 100 years of deaths involving terraces

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Its got more to do with British football stadia having more than 100 years of deaths involving terraces
Can't argue with that obviously as it's all too true, but I have to say that's a very negative, but also very British, response. Yup, we've had deaths on terraces in the past, so best not have standing at football again under any circumstances eh? Better safe than sorry, Health and Safety, can't be too careful, etc etc etc.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Any pics from your trip to Dortmund Commander?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Indeed. I'm almost 45, not that tall and there's a certain joy in jumping to your feet in a moment of passion. Although my wife finds this mildly confusing.
Er, you haven't GOT to stand, there will still be seats for those who want them, probably the majority of the ground. No one is proposing all-standing stadia. Sorry if that wasn't made clear.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yup, we've had deaths on terraces in the past, so best not have standing at football again under any circumstances eh?

Better ban roads too, then............

I've signed the petition. Bloody politicians won't listen, though. They never do.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
From what I've heard things are moving in the right direction, but until the Hillsborough Family Support Group remove their opposition we won't get terracing back here. Of course their stance is supremely understandable though most people, including many at the disaster, agree that it was caused by bad crowd control not terracing per se. And saying that it happens in Germany and everything's fine there doesn't shift them. As for the government, they are supremely happy to go with the corporate agenda and so for the foreseeable future we are going to have to sit down to watch the Albion. If and when the Liverpool relatives change their minds things may move. That's what I've heard, anyway.

Fur Cough

From what I've heard things are moving in the right direction, but until the Hillsborough Family Support Group remove their opposition we won't get terracing back here. Of course their stance is supremely understandable though most people, including many at the disaster, agree that it was caused by bad crowd control not terracing per se. And saying that it happens in Germany and everything's fine there doesn't shift them. As for the government, they are supremely happy to go with the corporate agenda and so for the foreseeable future we are going to have to sit down to watch the Albion. If and when the Liverpool relatives change their minds things may move. That's what I've heard, anyway.

The ironic thing about the Hillsborough Family Support Group and there opposition to it is the single fact the Kop to this day stands every game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here