Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could there be a return to terracing?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
It wouldn't take much to change it at the Amex if the law changed. The authorities have to be honest with themselves, thousands and thousands of fans stand in seated areas all over the country at many top level games. I saw a game at Bayern Munichs old Olympic Stadium and each person had a designated spot on the terrace as if a seat was there. Each row had a crash barrier to lean on, and it could have seats slotted in if required. It was very organised, as easy to police as seating, and very enjoyable for the spectator.:thumbsup:

If this is the case there probably wouldn't be any increase in capacity and subsequent reduction in admission costs. Would people be willing to pay the same price to stand as to sit down?

No chance. (He says writing from his government department

This is the key bit from the Minister's speech , and perfect;ly explains why it WON'T happen

the stakes are extremely high to recommend a change. If he were to do so, and there was then a major accident or incident of disorder on a terrace, Robertson said: "The minister's head would be on a spike on Tower Bridge before he could draft a resignation letter."

also safe standing (ie areas whuch can be swiched from seating to standing areas) require a lot more land to accommodate them. So falmer's capacity couild actually be reduced if we tried to accomodate this

It wouldn't take much to change it at the Amex if the law changed. The authorities have to be honest with themselves, thousands and thousands of fans stand in seated areas all over the country at many top level games. I saw a game at Bayern Munichs old Olympic Stadium and each person had a designated spot on the terrace as if a seat was there. Each row had a crash barrier to lean on, and it could have seats slotted in if required. It was very organised, as easy to police as seating, and very enjoyable for the spectator.:thumbsup:

which is why Bayern Munich now play at the brand spanking new Allianz arena ( which cost $360 million) and NOT the old Olympic stadium

and don't forget that Germany has never experienced a disaster like Hillsborough, wheras we have had dozens of examples of peopel being crushed to death in inadequate structures (invariably involving terracing)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Chance for the club to sell PTL's ? Can the four corners at Falmer be used for safe terrace areas ?

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
safe%20standing.jpg

Yes please

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
which is why Bayern Munich now play at the brand spanking new Allianz arena ( which cost $360 million) and NOT the old Olympic stadium

and don't forget that Germany has never experienced a disaster like Hillsborough, wheras we have had dozens of examples of peopel being crushed to death in inadequate structures (invariably involving terracing)

Having just got back from Dortmund I can confirm that their terrace (which holds about 25,000) is absolutely fantastic, and is a hell of a lot safer than our situation of thousands of people standing up in seated areas.

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
If there's not an issue with safety, why do I still get bollocked for standing when everyone is still in the vicinity of their allocated seat?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Absolutely not, and will never happen and rightly so. Pleased the Premier League have been swift in responding to this and making clear their view that terracing should not be bought back.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If this is the case there probably wouldn't be any increase in capacity and subsequent reduction in admission costs. Would people be willing to pay the same price to stand as to sit down?

The new Allianz has standing areas. If all seating the capacity is about 66k, if standing is used its 69k. There was a whole host of reasons why they moved, but I don't think it included the standing areas as you've perhaps tried to suggest!?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
also safe standing (ie areas whuch can be swiched from seating to standing areas) require a lot more land to accommodate them. So falmer's capacity couild actually be reduced if we tried to accomodate this

Pretty sure that wouldn't happen, the steps at Falmer are very deep like the ones at MKDons so they would actually be perfect to install the safe standing crash barriers in the picture

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I've not been to a game in Germany (would like to one day!) but as I understand it there are basically two types of terrace:

1. the red ones in the pictures where you stand in an allocated space, also here at Werder Bremen

_42692677_bremen203.jpg

With this you presumably don't get any increase in capacity when used in the stand configuration?

2. A more conventional terrace like at Borussia Dortmund where seats are installed for international matches:

innen_06.jpg

_42692683_dortmund203.jpg

Here you get more capacity when using it for standing but it's a faff to convert it to seats - however when would we need to do that reallistically?

Is this more or less the situation over there?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Wow. As much as I like looking at pictures of the Amex those make me REALLY jealous. Just shows what can happen when the authorities listen to the fans and in turn the fans aren't a load of snivelling shits.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here