Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could the Hammond transfer possibly mean that Dean Wilkins is returning soon?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can someone remind me what the issue with the board, Wilkins and Hammond's contract was? I know this became a major issue but I cannot remember why.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Can someone remind me what the issue with the board, Wilkins and Hammond's contract was? I know this became a major issue but I cannot remember why.

It is all speculation, but one version of the truth is that the Albion offered Hammond a new contract that was allegedly the best they had ever offered apart from the one that Zamora had. Hammond held out for more money, but was citing 'lack of ambition' as a reason for wanting to leave. The Albion then signed Murray for £300k along with some other long forgotten players (Shane McFaul, Johnny Dixon, Westlake etc) , Hammond still wanted to leave, so signed for Colchester for £250k.

Wilkins apparently was backing Hammond in asking for more money. This upset the board, who effectively marked his cards for the end of the season.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
There's two sides to the Wilkins story and we only know a few crumbs of facts, from which we extrapolate a full story to suit our pro/anti Wilkins views.

As a player I liked Wendy, but I think he found his level with the Albion and it worked for both parties. Great left foot, and the last minute free kick that took us to the play-offs, and being the last Albion to score at the old Wembley will always give me fond memories of him.

My understanding is that there was resentment towards him from senior players because they believed he favoured former youth teamers due to being paid a bonus for every youth team player who was in the first XI. The board paid him a poor basic salary (£30k), which amplified this issue in the minds of the senior players.

He also had issues with communication with the board, who found him difficult/impossible to deal with. They were culpable to a degree in appointing him in the first place as manager, because they were trying to do things on a shoestring before TB started subsidising the club to a greater degree. Certainly his handling of the Hammond issue caused ructions.

Furthermore in his final season he took three weeks off away from the players and was not seen at training or anywhere else.

I know there is anti Naylor feeling on NSC, but he too has said Wilkins was by far the most awkward manager to deal with.

As a coach he was superb, because he is a football nerd, and very passionate about technique, diet . I can understand him refusing to take the offer of returning to that role, and instead sitting at home and running down his contract, we all have pride.

Interesting post .. I remember the stilted radio interviews that were so uncomfortable to listen too

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
You know who's going to be on this thread before the day is out...

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I have it on fairly good authority that Wilkins wasn't the most pleasant manager to work with and his youth team methods didn't and wouldn't work for the first team. He had the big arse on about the board bringing in Adams back in behind his back and holds a lot of grudges. I'd be very surprised if he came back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here