Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I suspect this irritation could be age-related; with only the old geezers fulminating...

Did it start with texting, where 'of' saves 2 characters against 'have'? Used regularly, the virus then spreads to pollute all written communication.

Whatever the origin, it's profoundly depressing when people are too dim to see how our language works.

Unless what we're seeing here is in fact coursework for an A-Level in modern grammar.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Did it start with texting, where 'of' saves 2 characters against 'have'?

I think the "of" thing is down to phonetics. When speaking, people tend to say should've, would've, could've and so on, which sounds more like "could of" than "could have", so people tend to write that way.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Before I was married, I was seeing a girl who insisted we get to know each other before I was allowed to have sex with her. She said "lets get to know each other first and then afterwards it'll be no holes barred"

I wish I'd met my wife just a week or so later so that I could discover whether or not that was actually what she meant. :lolol:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Don't get worked up too much over the fate of English.
Latin's a dead language, too, but you don't see me complaining, now do you?

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
I think the "of" thing is down to phonetics. When speaking, people tend to say should've, would've, could've and so on, which sounds more like "could of" than "could have", so people tend to write that way.

Of course that's why, doesn't excuse the fact the spastics can't grasp basic English though does it

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
It's well good innit
"Can I get a coffee" with the annoying Australian intonation rising up at the end of the sentence really winds me up. Yes you moron of course you can GET a coffee - what you actually mean to ask is "Can I HAVE a coffee"
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here