Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could Man Utd end up with a mid table finish or even in a relegation battle?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Blind has signed to play in central midfield, he didn't want to sign if he was going to be in defence.

well that works for them, as they havent any solid central midfield either.

Jan 30, 2008
Could it happen? Would the club let it happen?

Who thought even two years ago that fans would be satisfied taking a point, in a 0-0 against Burnley ffs. That after a 4-0 defeat & mid week exit in their first game of the Capital One Cup against MK Dons.
It's something that's going to give me sleepless nights:shrug:
regards
DR

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Could it happen? Would the club let it happen?

Who thought even two years ago that fans would be satisfied taking a point, in a 0-0 against Burnley ffs. That after a 4-0 defeat & mid week exit in their first game of the Capital One Cup against MK Dons.

I can remember the last time they went down. Whilst there weren't any actual street parties, there was certainly feelings of joy and amusement across much of the country.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
They won't go down. The problem seems to be that they've switched to a system that is exposing the weakest part of their team, the defence.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Man Utd will finish no lower than seventh. However, Van Gaal is talking like Top 4 is the expectation but to do that they'll have to finish above three of Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool and a Everton. Right now that seems like a tall order.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
I can remember the last time they went down. Whilst there weren't any actual street parties, there was certainly feelings of joy and amusement across much of the country.

Yes I remember that as well. If they were to go down this season then I suggest there may well be street parties and more. Perhaps a new bank holiday to mark the occasion? Lovely.....back to my dream now.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Last season was the best Premier League yet with Man U winning nothing. I'm hoping for the same again this year.

I've never grasped the 'live in Brighton but a Man U fan' concept, although there's usually some spurious reason like a maiden aunt who liked George Best and she took them to their first armchair match on TV, so been a fan ever since.

Funnily enough those 'fans' were conspicuous by their absence/silence last season!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Last season was the best Premier League yet with Man U winning nothing. I'm hoping for the same again this year.

I've never grasped the 'live in Brighton but a Man U fan' concept, although there's usually some spurious reason like a maiden aunt who liked George Best and she took them to their first armchair match on TV, so been a fan ever since.

Funnily enough those 'fans' were conspicuous by their absence/silence last season!

I was having a discussion with one of these 'fans' the other day. He's from down here, always has been yet he's a DIE HARD Man Utd fan ??? I've seen Man Utd play twice, that's 2 more occasions than he has. When we were talking he tried to do that weird thing that a lot of these types do , you know, where they pretend to know about Brighton and show they're not an armchair fan but instead a football oracle. He proceeded to tell me he couldn't understand why Brighton didn't sign...........................wait for it.........................Rio Ferdinand. He casually says "he's free and would only cost £100,000 per week wages, he's just the sort of player you should be signing". Clueless, absolutely clueless.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
It was the most entertaining thing about the Premier League last year...and it's certainly started the same way again. They can change managers as many times as they like....fact is that they still have the same team, the lack of depth at the back, a team that don't play together, and individually a lot of poor performances.

There is so much pressure on them every game. For United, anything less than a win is a bad result...
The same team? They've just spunked a load of cash on Shaw, Blind, Rojo, Herrera and Di Maria with more to come.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
The same team? They've just spunked a load of cash on Shaw, Blind, Rojo, Herrera and Di Maria with more to come.

Hererra's been injured and Blind & Di Maria have only just signed.

None of their signings is yet to make any impact. Whereas other clubs are reaping the dividends from their early signings. Chelsea had all of it's business wrapped up before the WC.

These days I find less and less people willing admitting to being a United fan. If they do they are very quiet.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
They won't go down but I can't see how they'd get in the top four given the top four teams last year all look much stronger, and they've got Everton and Spurs biting at their heels. If we see a different top four this year it will be because of one of those two teams.

Manchester United look desperate and have completely lost their aura of invincibility cultivated by Ferguson. As a result other teams are enjoying playing them and they've got a long way to go before they can be considered competitive again.

I'd be surprised if Van Gaal manages to improve on last season's 7th place finish to be honest

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I have a friend who is from Manchester, has a manc accent, and is a United fan. Two years ago he was an insufferable prick, these days he's a far more rounded individual. Failure is character forming which is why Albion fans are such wonderful, philosophical and deep individuals.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
They are spending so heavily when leveraged on debt it really is a gamble they cannot afford to lose but the on-pitch results look awful.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I'm surprised that Moyes hasn't had a mention yet. He's been vilified by many for United's awful performance last season despite being left to hang with Fergie's rope. As bad as united now are, this comes down to Ferguson basically signing nobody decent for 5 years (with the possible exception of van Persie) and retiring at precisely the right time.

The force of his personality is what drove them to their last title and their mediocrity is a reflection on the fact that the new managers don't have 20+ years of Man Utd experience to get the best out of them.

Will they get relegated? Unlikely. Will they finish mid-table? Yes.

Also, don't read too much into the MK Dons result. One of my colleagues at work is a "die hard" Man Utd fan (never been to Old Trafford though) and he didn't even recognise most of the names on their team sheet. It does however, highlight the staggering lack of depth.

As said before, they need 3 defenders as a minimum and no matter how good Di Maria is, he's not going to compensate for having Rojo, Smalling, Jones, Evans and Blackett to pick from in the back 3.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
If todays papers are to be believed Van Gaal is about to offload 11 players and rebuild the team. That's worked out well in the past. NOT

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here