Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could a FANZINE still 'do a job'?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Yes, i know this has been debated before, but:

1) The amount of users/viewers of online message boards still represents a minority of those who go to matches
2) Many on this board feel the club is in crisis - Falmer has gone all but tits up so far, the team is in a state, Withdean crowds are at new lows. There is arguing amongst fans, and seems to be a feeling general discontent amongst supporters.
3) The board is coming under increasing pressure. The Bloom/Knight split intruigues us, but most know little about the current situation. Harty often speculates on the phone in, but that's about it.

It only caught my eye in the paper today that the QPR chairman is suing a club fanzine for printing information about him. Now, I'm not saying we'd want to get into any more legal disputes (although it would be interesting if someone nosed in to the information about the clubs/shareholders finances!), but it's clear that, for some clubs at least, the fanzine remains.

It's probably unlikely that anyone would commit to it (as has been discussed before, the commitment levels etc - Richie Morris anyone?)...but in the unlikely event that someone did want to produce one, could it be a success? Recently, The 'North Stand Chat' effort was pretty good, although 'Come over the dyke' lacked the humour and information of previous fanzines. 'Brighton Rocks' was pretty good as well. But presumably not profitable?

I suppose there is always the problem of living up to Gulls Eye also. Anyway, just a thought, i'm not an expert on the subject so i expect to be flamed!

Please note: I am not proposing to start a fanzine myself

Last edited:

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Compiling and producing a fanzine is bloody hard work.

Would be great to get one going again. You'd be hard pushed to replicate the quality of Scars and Stripes though.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Soul Finger said:
Compiling and producing a fanzine is bloody hard work.

I'm not saying it wouldn't!

But would people still buy it?

Could it be a valuable 'tool' for communication between fans?

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Yeah, I still think fans would buy it.

Maybe a 16 or 24 pager for �1.

Are there any young and enthusiastic supporters out there who want to give it a go?

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Fanzines have had their day. NSC is the new fanzine.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I think the day of the fanzine is done.

If one did come back, it would have to offer something messageboards and phone-in's don't.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Man of Harveys said:
Fanzines have had their day. NSC is the new fanzine.
...is the right answer.

Especially since the all new official matchday magazine (competitively priced at £3) is such a CRACKING read these days.

We won't be druv. :tosser:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I love the programme at the moment, seriously. I get pissed off if I can't find one on matchdays. It's not cheap, granted, but nothing is in football these days.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Man of Harveys said:
I love the programme at the moment, seriously. I get pissed off if I can't find one on matchdays. It's not cheap, granted, but nothing is in football these days.

It's alright.

Nothing special though. There isn't much input from the fans....

Apart from Mike Ward

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Withdean Wanderer said:
It's alright.

Nothing special though. There isn't much input from the fans....
So if I wanted to read stuff about what fellow Albion fans think about things...where could I possibly go...:cool:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Man of Harveys said:
It's wank, Col. As always.

I only buy it because I feel guilty that the club make no money out of anything else I buy at WITHERS. (apart from the club shop)

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Simster said:
It's wank, Col. As always.
It isn't Sim. It's actually quite good and funny in places. But it's easier to say "it's shit" than to admit something's not bad. Like new players who go and score on their debut, for example. :wave:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Man of Harveys said:
So if I wanted to read stuff about what fellow Albion fans think about things...where could I possibly go...:cool:

Yes, but if you see my first point....??

However, I don't know if it's a case of people not having access to NSC, not knowing about NSC, or not wanting to use NSC...

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Withdean Wanderer said:

However, I don't know if it's a case of people not having access to NSC, not knowing about NSC, or not wanting to use NSC...
OK, go for it - I'm not taking the piss, best of luck with it. I love reading stuff about the Albion and I might even buy one. I just don't know why I'd buy, say, a magazine for £3 to read stuff written by the same people who are writing much the same on here. But, as I say, just my HO.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I reckon i could do a few articles - "Goring Gull gets THE truth inside the club" perhaps. Do you think Dick and Perry would be happy to let us into club to report the real goings on?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Withdean Wanderer said:

None of us know how many people actually read NSC. I certainly don't and can't be arsed to find out.

But I do know (when we were struggling with bandwidth) that when I said registration was going to be compulsory to view, hundreds of people suddenly registered.

And we have had well over 6000 registrations - I've just culled quite a few of them who have never posted (like sub board hosts, I'm not precious about having a high number of members - doesn't actually mean anything at all). 6000 is not a million miles away from what is left of the Albion hard core support.

1066gull

Soul Finger said:
Are there any young and enthusiastic supproters out there who want to give it a go?

I am young, and I am enthusastic but quite frankly, I couldn't be arsed unless if I was working with people I would enjoy working with, I amy be tempted.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Bozza said:
None of us know how many people actually read NSC. I certainly don't and can't be arsed to find out.

But I do know (when we were struggling with bandwidth) that when I said registration was going to be compulsory to view, hundreds of people suddenly registered.

And we have had well over 6000 registrations - I've just culled quite a few of them who have never posted (like sub board hosts, I'm not precious about having a high number of members - doesn't actually mean anything at all). 6000 is not a million miles away from what is left of the Albion hard core support.

Didn't know that...although that indicates that the usefulness of a fanzine is more limited.

I wonder why nobody posts!

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Simster said:
It's wank, Col.(apart from the club shop)

No it isn't.

Why say that? Bit of a sweeping statement.

It's well designed, (mostly) well written, and very informative.

£3 is a tad pricey, but that's the going rate for progs these days.

It was voted third best in the Championship last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here