Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cotterill - "we'd have won the game with 11" (at least his players are honest)!

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Lost a fair bit of respect for the man due to this. Perhaps he has forgotten about the disallowed goal and two close strikes BEFORE the sending off. Thankfully his players have more humility (two contrasting interviews):

------------------------------------

From The News:

Cotterill: Red card cost

Steve Cotterill pinpointed Dave Kitson's red card as the turning point in FA Cup defeat at Brighton.

The Blues' season hit a low at the Withdean Stadium as Cotterill's men fell to a 3-1 loss.
Pompey could not complain with the outcome of the game with the Seagulls dominant.
Cotterill is confident it would have been a different story, however, if Kitson didn't walk for an altercation with Adam El-Abd.
He said: 'We started very brightly, I thought.
'But the sending off was a definite turning point.
'I thought we dominated before that.
'I would have been very happy if I'd kept that 11, because if we'd kept that 11 we'd have won the game.'
The three goals conceded made it a woeful 12 goals shipped in four games for Pompey.
Cotterill was frustrated with defending by his team.
He said: 'We lost the marker on the first goal. I'd have to see the second goal again, but it looked like a penalty from where I'm standing.'

-----------------------------------------------------------------

From the Official Site (an honest perspective):

No Excuses by Neil Weld

Pompey conceded a penalty, had one man sent off and seven others booked as they were dumped out of the FA Cup by League One leaders Brighton.

But Aaron Mokoena refused to look for excuses after the Blues’ 3-1 defeat at the Withdean Stadium.

After Dave Kitson had been red carded for clashing with Adam Al-Ebd, a Chris Wood strike and Ashley Barnes spot-kick gave the Seagulls a two-goal interval lead.

And any hope raised by Tom Kilbey’s late goal was extinguished when Francisco Sandaza netted in stoppage time.

Mokoena admitted that the Blues were simply not good enough against an impressive Brighton side.

Pompey’s skipper said: “We started okay but when we got the red card it was always going to be tough away from home at a good team like Brighton.

“But there are no excuses – I don’t like them. Brighton won the game and we should have done more.

“We tried to dig in as much as we could but they’re a good passing team and credit to them.

“We wanted to do well in the FA Cup and get as far as possible but we’re out and now we have to focus on the league.”

Pompey have now conceded three goals in each of their last four games and Mokoena knows they must tighten up at the back. But the defender is confident they can recover.

He said: “That’s a big concern for us. There’s a corner we have to turn and I’m sure we’ll do that.

“It wasn’t our day but we have to regroup and try to clear this hurdle. We have to stick together and rectify this.

“I’ll motivate myself by looking at the way we were playing before these last few games.

“It’s still January and there is still a lot of the season left, so there’s plenty of time to turn this around.

“There are issues we have to deal with – of course there are. But we have to remain positive.”

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Cotterill is in La La Land: by the time Kitson got himself sent off we were already on top and dominated the rest of the game.

Besides, we controlled the Charlton game with ten men so it shouldn't have affected Pompey that much.

Excuses, excuses.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
:wanker: I cannot even begin to imagine watching us play under HIM. Thank f*** we have Poyet.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
That interview is enough to highlight how we should never, ever, ever contemplate a complete moron like Cotterill as our manager. OK, he may have played a few games for us, but please let's make sure we are never in a position to need to employ such an amateurish, clueless bloke. He makes Phil Parkinson look like a super hero.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
I think Cotterill is a very good manager
Feel sorry for him that he got himself involved with Portsmouth
Wouldn't be a problem for me if he was a future Brighton manager, clueless he is not

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Reminds me of Parkinson's comments after we crushed Charlton 4-0 at the Valley.

They dont like getting beaten by teams like Brighton.

SC prob wont be there that much longer.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What a tosser. He admits he didn't see the incident early on in the interview but then later, somehow, he was able to see that the linesman and ref didn't see the incident DESPITE the fact he's already admitted that he hadn't. Make up your mind Cotterill.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
I'm assuming people have seen this? I'm astonished at how, when given the chance, Cotterill just couldn't find any platitudes of worth about Brighton :(. The FA Cup News - Football | ITV Sport

He was pissed off
He ain't gonna say Brighton were marvellous when we weren't (we were alright) and also he didn't agree with the sending off
We would be exactly the same if we were in that position

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Cotterill should learn to control his players a bit better before suggesting anything.

What a bunch of overpaid (by the taxman) prima donna's who, when the going got tough, started flouncing! You will never win games that way, 10 or 11 men.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I used to quite like him as a manager (and always has nice things to say about us), but that extended ITV interview has done it for me.

What an idiot, hope he takes Portsmouth down.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I used to quite like him as a manager (and always has nice things to say about us), but that extended ITV interview has done it for me.

What an idiot, hope he takes Portsmouth down.

Agreed. Just watched the interview on ITV player and he comes across as a complete muppet. His whole demeanour was "poor old Pompey, the whole world is against us".

He says he didn't see the sending off but later says it was definitely not a red card, and what the f*** was he implying with his "I'm sure Brighton are happy with the way they won it" comment?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here