Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

cost of child care and why do some women work?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Spiros said:
The bit that annoys me most is the ones that use grandparents/other relatives as free childcare. I wouldn't dream of dumping my kids on my mum and dad, day after day after day, but to some of these people it seems to be the thing to do!

I agree with you here if we're talking 5 days a week or if it is obvious that the Grandparents can't cope or don't want the tie. However, my daughter spends one day a week with my Dad and he loves it. When she doesn't visit him for a week or two he really misses her. My in-laws are driving down from Wales to babysit for a weekend. They can't wait. Before we had our daughter it was a real struggle to get them to come and visit at all! It's ok to lean on your parents a bit when you're raising your family, it's what families are for. It's only a problem if you start taking the piss.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Lammy said:
Why is going to a nursary SCARY? Perhaps she should be taught from home so as to avoid he TERROR of going to school when she isn't ready?

My middle child went to day care and nursery from the age of 15 months. She is 5 years old now and is just like the daughter of your friend. She does not leave my side if we go out, she panics if I leave the room and we are in a strange place etc. She was raised exactly the same way as her brother and sister who would both wander off with a stranger and talk to anyone without thinking twice about it - neither of them would notice if I wasn't there. Some children are just like that, sending her to nursery did not make her 'more social' at all.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
looney said:
Thats highly debatable, data can show it is negative.

My veiw is if you have kids you should bloody well look after them yourselves. Dont expect others to cover for you at work or fork out for your breeding costs, this goes for male and female.

Doesn't matter if its the state or firm that provides child care, its still a financial burden wrt countries that dont.

i'd guess that's a purely theoretical viewpoint from looney.

for what it;'s worth i agree with every word that lammy says, apart from his looney-esque spelling of nursery!

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Spiros said:
The bit that annoys me most is the ones that use grandparents/other relatives as free childcare. I wouldn't dream of dumping my kids on my mum and dad, day after day after day, but to some of these people it seems to be the thing to do!

My in-laws have looked after my kids since Mrs Shirty went back to work - and we pay them to do so. Admittedly not as much as full time child care would cost in the general market place, but still a fair whack of money. The situation suited everyone - my wife wanted to return to work (and we earn roughly the same amount) and at the same time my Mother in Law had just retired - were she not looking after the kids she would have had to have found another part-time job instead. Who would you rather have looking after your kids ?... someone you know little or nothing about, or someone you loves them as much as you do and has nothing but their best interests at heart ? When my second child came along my wife was told she WAS going back to work, just so that M-I-L could continue her duties !

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Goring Gull said:
Saw something about this recently - A typical couple bloke works full time they have a child then the woman goe sout to work , they put the child in full time nursery at about £800 a month she only take shome £850 a month after tax - why is she bothering to work fo rthe sake of £50. Surely you have kids to spend time with them and help them learn and watch them grow up. I just don't get it especially when the woman moans about missing her child grow up - apparently it's very widespread issue to me it's a no brainer stay at home. fair enoug if you both earn big money and have a large mortgage otr woiuld really lose out but for the sake of a few quid.

Punctuation had reached Hudds when I was a child there.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
The bit that annoys me most is the ones that use
grandparents/other relatives as free childcare. I wouldn't dream of dumping my kids on my mum and dad, day after day after day, but to some of these people it seems to be the thing to do! [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh yes this really p1sses me off to, I respect my parents and feel they deserve to enjoy what they have now and the time to themselves by almeans they have him for a day or two maybe even a week or something but to use them all the time just shows a complete lack of respect.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Starry said:
My middle child went to day care and nursery from the age of 15 months. She is 5 years old now and is just like the daughter of your friend. She does not leave my side if we go out, she panics if I leave the room and we are in a strange place etc. She was raised exactly the same way as her brother and sister who would both wander off with a stranger and talk to anyone without thinking twice about it - neither of them would notice if I wasn't there. Some children are just like that, sending her to nursery did not make her 'more social' at all.

There will always be exceptions to the rule. I only gave one example, I'm not going to suggest that one size fits all. But in general I believe that introducing children to the company of others from an early age can only be a good thing.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Shirty said:
My in-laws have looked after my kids since Mrs Shirty went back to work - and we pay them to do so. Admittedly not as much as full time child care would cost in the general market place, but still a fair whack of money. The situation suited everyone - my wife wanted to return to work (and we earn roughly the same amount) and at the same time my Mother in Law had just retired - were she not looking after the kids she would have had to have found another part-time job instead. Who would you rather have looking after your kids ?... someone you know little or nothing about, or someone you loves them as much as you do and has nothing but their best interests at heart ? When my second child came along my wife was told she WAS going back to work, just so that M-I-L could continue her duties !
Paying them is a bit different. I know of situations where the grandparents have gone from occasion babysitter to almost full-time carer by stealth and get little or no compensation for it.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Re: Re: cost of child care and why do some women work?

Dies Irae said:
Punctuation had reached Hudds when I was a child there.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Blame Worthing high school for that.

Funny enough though i have an A level in English grade C

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
cant stand parents who have children then the mother goes back to work,why have them in the 1st place!!:censored: .my wife has just gone back to work after 8 years fulltime.she wanted to bring the children up the right way,not just fob them off any tom dick and harry,and thankfully we are reaping in the benefits now as we have 2 lovely children who are now more indepentant.S,he now feels she can get back to her job which she has done.:bowdown: i think she is marvelous

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
empire said:
cant stand parents who have children then the mother goes back to work,why have them in the 1st place!!:censored: .my wife has just gone back to work after 8 years fulltime.she wanted to bring the children up the right way,not just fob them off any tom dick and harry,and thankfully we are reaping in the benefits now as we have 2 lovely children who are now more indepentant.S,he now feels she can get back to her job which she has done.:bowdown: i think she is marvelous

Your wife at least, does indeed sound marvellous.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Rangdo said:
I mean that in a large company an accountant or someone with similar responsibilities will decide on it based on the cost and won't necessarily be interested in the long term business or social benefits. That will be someone elses job.
It wasn't a dig at all accountants like the Estate Agent lynch mob that rears it's head on here every couple of months. It was just an observation from my experience working for large companies and how they often use cost as the justification.

My point is that accountants don't just refuse to spend money, that's not how the job works. But they will look for a justification, and if that is to the long term benefit of the company, and potentially saving money in the long term (lower staff turnover can be a massive cost saving for a start), then they will approve expenditure.

Having said that, accountants are generally tight by nature ...

The optimist says the glass if half full
The pessimist says the glass is half empty
The accountant says the glass is twice as big as it needed to be.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
afters said:
i'd guess that's a purely theoretical viewpoint from looney.

for what it;'s worth i agree with every word that lammy says, apart from his looney-esque spelling of nursery!

Its not theory its trying to work out which data is more credible.

There is a political agenda behind getting as many women in the workforce, feminism. Of course it helps if you also create the extra jobs unlike this government, who of course runs an open imigration policy so the labour market is saturated with job seekers.

My politics is choice, not dumping women in the home or workforce. But some people, mainly lefties, who seem to know whats best for everyone and have rigged the tax system accordingly.

A lot of women(and some men (tarty ones like enigma I assume)) just cant aford to stay home.

Oh well, Camerons comming so I wonder what he's got planned for "society".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here