Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Coronation 2023 ***Official Match Thread***

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I didn't know we had a king I thought we were an autonomous collective....

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I hereby swear eternal allegiance to Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club. Amen.
NSC in unison (y) I think we can get with that.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
exactly. I didn’t watch it, but what I did see just made me feel angry or laugh. The bit where they put screens round him while he was anointed just seemed silly.

and how much did it all cost?
How much has/does/will it produce in revenue? Having a good image for the royal family, regardless of one’s personal views on monarchism/republicanism, is only a good thing for the country.

So much history, enormous tourism revenue each day more than pays for their existence.

As Brits, we have very little to offer tourists. Expensive country (travel, cost of living, accommodation), we don’t have the weather, we don’t have the cuisine. All we do have are the arts, history, old buildings, the royal family and a reputation and image which excites tourists.

I’m no fan of Charlie but the old chestnut about the royals being expensive needs to be put to bed. If we get rid of them, financially we will be considerably down on the deal. And that’s all they are - a deal.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
To think Liz Truss made her Lord of the Privy Council to keep her out of the limelight Big fail!
Do you think it’s appropriate for a woman to be described as sewage? Seems highly sexist to me. As a feminist myself, I find your endorsement quite astonishing.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Proud to be British. Democracy in action. Coronation goes ahead and folk enjoy their right to protest. Or not...

Just seen a video of a policeman confirming to a protestor that if they chant 'Not my king' they may be arrested. Swearing allegiance, of course, is fine.

1.png

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Do you think it’s appropriate for a woman to be described as sewage? Seems highly sexist to me. As a feminist myself, I find your endorsement quite astonishing.
What on earth are you on about?

You didn’t look at the picture I commented on did you? You jumped to conclusions, thinking I was referring to post 206.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
exactly. I didn’t watch it, but what I did see just made me feel angry or laugh. The bit where they put screens round him while he was anointed just seemed silly.

and how much did it all cost?
As a church goer, I thought you would understand the screen.
The king is stripped down to a basic shirt and trousers, anointed with oil, on his forehead with just the Archbishop between him and the altar. It is meant to be just the monarch and God.
He then dons a plain linen ephod, and once the screens are removed start to receive the royal regalia.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I often listen to podcasts in bed and the 3 recent 'The Rest is History' episodes are about Coronations through the ages. Even though I'm a republican, they were interesting and entertaining, albeit not enough to keep me awake.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I don’t think Chief Gunnery Instructors would appreciate being called choreographers. 😂😂
Put out your hands, stick out your tush!
Paris is the most-visited city in the world. No royalty there, of course.

And any benefit of royals to the UK econony has easily been negated - many times over, in fact - by Brexit.

Both heavily backed by flagshaggers, of course.
what do the royals have to do with Brexit?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Listen, strange women, lyin' in ponds, distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. SUPREME executive power derives from a mandate of the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here