Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Corners!!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
That applies to every team in the world, I don't know one of them who has a 100% success rate and I think we do OK with ours, some could be better some are spot on, that's the nature of the beast but it easy to to come on here and slaughter everything we do and tell us how shit we are without looking for the positives.

I'm not sure that's fair to be honest, just appears at the moment that we are quite weak on corners. In fact it's your post that doesn't appear to have balance.

Fair point about the Revell ? goal from the corner, but when it was taken from where I was sitting it looked like another corner that wasn't going to beat the first man..

They do all count though.... :D

I sure it's frustrating for the players, but it's also frustating football to watch at time, like today.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont think that it is a case of people wanting to come on here and give shit more a case of frustration because however you look at todays game we have lost 2 points that we shouldnt have. As fans we want to win everything and everybody with their FIFA 2008 is a better manager than Arsene Wenger so it is obvious that people will have opinions and the gneral consensus today is that like most times Elder was brought on too late to geta chance to play himself into the game.

I am told that he is the best header of a ball at the club and we are lumping high balls into the box and expecting Forster to win them then get on the end of the rebounds to score, just not posible. So obviously why not put Elder on if he is that good in the air with 20 -30 mins to go so that he may be able to make an impact.

I did look for the positives - I just said some of them are "BRILLIANT" and that's why we score goals from them. I think we could find more consistency, and maybe in time that will come. At the moment, I think it's fair to say we do fairly well but there is room for improvement. What I do not like is short corners:rant:

Agreed.

I never understood why any team would forgo the opportunity to get the ball into the box, close to goal, and generally promote havoc for an opponent's defenders - and trade that for possession out on the wing with defenders quickly closing on the man with the ball.

That's just stupid.

brightonbear

Jan 2, 2008
Agreed.

I never understood why any team would forgo the opportunity to get the ball into the box, close to goal, and generally promote havoc for an opponent's defenders - and trade that for possession out on the wing with defenders quickly closing on the man with the ball.

That's just stupid.

I'm sure you know that it's done to change the angle on the cross allowing it to be attacked if it works we're all happy but if it doesn't it looks like a chance wasted but you do need to mix it up from time to time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When I have managed teams, at varying levels, I have always insisted that the full back on the side that the corner is being taken come up to the corner edge of the penalty box because most defensive headers out from a corner go towards the touchline from the direction that they came from. This is because it is the easiest shortest route for a central defender to head the ball to safety.

So if Coxy is taking a corner on the right we should have somebody on the corner of that penalty box on our right hand side.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I believe Whing had a free header from a corner from about 12 yrds out today ? ( unfortunately unable to be there today but had radio on ) Sounds like a top corner to me.

Seems to me that there's too many floated in that are either far too close to the keeper or just way too long. Though in fairness we're probably no more at fault than anyone else for this. I always prefer out swingers to in swingers, though agree we need to mix it up a bit ( I'm in favour of the odd short corner if it's done quickly )

How about a few more driven in low and hard rather than floated in ?

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
have never understood why we sod about at set pieces instead of getting the ball in the box

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here