Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Corners - Have we ever been any good?

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Let's put our 'big guys' up, play it short and lose it. Rinse repeat. Garbage.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
What the actual ****? I thought the point of a short corner was to surprise the opposition and drag them out?

What is the point on taking the same corner every single time?

Embarrassing

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The problem is it's a vicious circle.

We play our corners short, and keep losing the ball so our defenders are suddenly caught out of position up the pitch.
So we put our corners in the box, but none of them ever manage to do anything with it and they always end up either in the keeper's hands or out for a throw on the far side.
So we start playing our corners short, and keep losing the ball so...

Aug 18, 2013
The problem is it's a vicious circle.

We play our corners short, and keep losing the ball so our defenders are suddenly caught out of position up the pitch.
So we put our corners in the box, but none of them ever manage to do anything with it and they always end up either in the keeper's hands or out for a throw on the far side.
So we start playing our corners short, and keep losing the ball so...
Why not mix it up like every other ****ing team in the world?

Why do we always try to be different and clever?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The short corners today worked well today (they were horrendous against CP (?)). What you want from a short corner is usually chaos inside the box and a better angle for your crosser, and that was achieved today, resulting in a couple of attempted headers. No goals, but improved compared to previous weeks.

Aug 18, 2013
The short corners today worked well today (they were horrendous against CP (?)). What you want from a short corner is usually chaos inside the box and a better angle for your crosser, and that was achieved today, resulting in a couple of attempted headers. No goals, but improved compared to previous weeks.
Worked well?

You're a bigger troll than Crodo.

Good ****ing grief.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Worked well?

You're a bigger troll than Crodo.

Good ****ing grief.

They did work well. By no means fantastic, but the purpose of the short corner was fulfilled. Against CP (I think it was) the short corners lead to nothing besides a few counter-attacks and it just felt like a very poor tactic in that game and in my opinion GP should have cancelled it when it wasnt working out the first couple of times. I think it was a lot better tonight.

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
Think our set pieces generally are pretty poor and have been for most of the time I've been watching (about eight years).

We try to be inventive but usually stuff it up and either give it straight back to the opposition or end up passing it all the way back to our own half.

Wouldn't mind signing the player taking the Burnley corners though (Westwood?). They looked really dangerous.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I remember Ross Johnson’s long throws being described “as good as a corner” I don’t know if this was ironic though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
There are two elements to all dead ball situations which need to be coached simultaneously - 1. the accuracy and quality of the delivery and 2. the movement, positioning, anticipation of the receivers. As far as I can see our approach is either to take a quick short corner to change the angle with no-one on the receiving end really knowing what's happening or to lob the ball up into the mix and hope that BDB gets on the end of it (which, considering he's shit in the air, seldom happens). No real evidence of coaching (which isn't to say there isn't coaching) so yes, given our general level of appallingness at set pieces, this is definitely an area that requires significantly more and better coaching input, especially regarding the movement and positioning of receivers.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
sorry, I've done BDB a slight disservice there - I should've said (which, considering he's shit in the air, seldom happens effectively)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
sorry, I've done BDB a slight disservice there - I should've said (which, considering he's shit in the air, seldom happens effectively)

He won 7 out of 8 heading duels yesterday. No other Brighton player won more than 50%.
He is not shit in the air in general, just when it comes to the opposing penalty area. I think the issue is more psychological rather than technical. Once he scores his first goal I think there's more to come from him.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why do we keep taking short corners? They are terrible.

Why does ANYONE? Unless you've got some groundbreaking new silky smooth move worked out off the training ground by some brainbox - which nobody ever does - then guess what? You just wasted a corner :rolleyes:

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
We seem to want to score the perfect goal, loads of touches or passes in the box, which gives the defenders a chance to get back and block. This doesn't change when we take a short corner, except we have the big lads in the box yet fail to cross it in. What we are doing at the moment isn't working, why not try whipping the corners in and seeing if we can get a head to it and maybe a goal.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Why do we keep taking short corners? They are terrible.

The only time I ever remember us, or any team for that matter, scoring from a short corner was the equaliser against Hudds back in December 2018, and that was only because it was quickly taken and caught them off guard.

Burnley showed how it should be done: just stick it in the corridor of uncertainty and give your attackers a chance to fight it out. We should actually take it as a positive from Friday that we didn't concede. Burnley are always very effective at set pieces - they have both the players that can deliver the ball and get on the end of the ball - so if the vulnerability was still there, they'd have found it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here