Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coppell

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Charlies Shinpad said:
Yorkie the fact is he did want to stay and that is the truth,I was round a certain players house when SC rang up and told the player this!

Who said DK begged him to stay?
I said DK and the board made no attempt to keep him,and again I will say he is not money motivated,but why stay somewhere where obviously they are more interested in Money than your ability as a manager?

I know what you're saying but to me the fact that he went for two interviews shows just how interested he was in staying.

I don't know if Madjeski approached him or vice versa but I would have preferred a manager who said 'I've got a job I am happy with and not interested'

Peter Taylor, for all his faults, did just that.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
DK was approached by Reading and out of courtesy he allowed Reading to approach SC,all DK had to say to reading was" Piss off" and they would have gone elsewhere.

If you remember rightly DK actually admitted he let Reading talk to SC when he had the option of telling them to go elsewhere:nono:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Originally posted by Charlies Shinpad
You dont know how close to the truth you are there!!

SC actually phoned a certain player telling him that he didnt want to go and was basically given no other option as DK and the rest of the board made no attempt to keep him here.
I know you are all going to say he jumped ship for the money,but it is a fact he is not money orientated and he wanted to stay here and take us thru to Falmer.

I posted a long thread about this on the day he left us for Reading and got severely slagged off but later when a few facts emerged it showed I was not to far off the mark.

Plus I have a very reliable source!

I do

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The first interview was about the job and normal interview subjects.

The second interview was to try to persuade him to leave Brighton and thus avoid too much compensation.

To his credit he stuck it out until he realised that it was in ' our' best interests to leave and get the compensation money.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I now sympathise with SC a little, though I recall suggesting he could rot in hell when he left.

I know how he felt when offered another job that gave him a better chance of success in the short term in better surroundings (I'm talking the stadium here, not the town/city). He may not have been at all interested in leaving, but when your current employers make it clear that they don't really mind if you leave (DK should not have let Reading speak to him in the first place), it is rather unsettling, and makes you more inclined to go for the new offer.

I'm sure he left with many regrets. We made him welcome despite his Palace connections, he had a good team that was fully behind him, etc, etc.

Whilst a few months back I'd have barracked him, I now feel inclined to just ignore him! If pressed, though, I would thank him for the efforts he put in to turn our team of losers into one of the strongest sides in the first division in the space of half a season. It's just a shame he started from so far behind or we'd never have been relegated.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
He can go where he wants for what money he likes. The way managers are treated now they have no need to show any club "loyalty". Good luck to all of them.

How will I treat him at Reading? He's managed us once for less than a season when we got relegated, he's managed Palace FOUR times.

P A L ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here