Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coppell resigns as reading boss

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Am glad Burnley got through after their League Cup heartbreak. The Coppell thing is similar to Curbishley in so much as you've done as much as you can with a club's potential and if Reading had got back to the Premiership they were surely going to just be treading water again. If he'd stayed with us the story would surely have been similar after a while, our potential is on a par with Reading's when all's said and done.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
He's a properly talented manager and I can't see him sitting out of the game for long. Amazingly, until yesterday he was the 5th longest serving current manager in the English game - League Managers Association

Having just seen on Sky that there is a press conference tomorrow with Coppell and madjeski, my guess (and this is just me trying to read something into it) is that Coppell is moving "upstairs" at Reading. I can't think why else they would hold a press conference together.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I thought it was already common knowledge that he would be stepping down at the end of the season? I'm sure he's said that in interviews before.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I thought it was already common knowledge that he would be stepping down at the end of the season? I'm sure he's said that in interviews before.

It was mentioned in the press last week, but quickly denied by all parties. Should have known then it was true.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
our potential is on a par with Reading's when all's said and done.

Sorry but I disagree. Until they were flying high most of Reading was awash with fans of the big London teams, Arsenal, Chelsea and even some Spurs. Their catchment area has far more league clubs to poach fans away than ours. Remember we're the ONLY league club in all of Sussex, where the population is almost twice that of crummy Berkshire. The CITY of Brighton & Hove also has a greater population than the TOWN of Reading.

Their crowds during this period of relative success for the club aren't as good as ours were during our original glory days.

Tin pot club that's just got lucky with an investor

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Reading are a joke of a club. Living there helps you to understand.
Before they went up to the Premiershit the ground wasn't even half full at league games- then as soon as they did, the Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Arsenal fans jumped straight on the bandwagon, and straight back off again.
Their squad is nowhere near good enough. Shane Long, Jay Tabb, Michael Duberry etc i wouldn't even have in the Brighton squad.
Coppell is far too good for that shambles.

Another reason to hate Reading- their "most famous fan"

"Irwin Sparkes, lead singer and guitarist of The Hoosiers, originally from Reading."

:glare:

The-Libertine

May 2, 2006
Cop-out

He always does flounce off when things get difficult, so no surprise at all that he's going. Let's hope its for good this time.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Reading are a joke of a club. Living there helps you to understand.
Before they went up to the Premiershit the ground wasn't even half full at league games- then as soon as they did, the Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Arsenal fans jumped straight on the bandwagon, and straight back off again.
Their squad is nowhere near good enough. Shane Long, Jay Tabb, Michael Duberry etc i wouldn't even have in the Brighton squad.
Coppell is far too good for that shambles.

Another reason to hate Reading- their "most famous fan"

"Irwin Sparkes, lead singer and guitarist of The Hoosiers, originally from Reading."

:glare:
Thats a tad harsh as every club who needs to attract new supporters will realise they will be rather plastic he he.I would certainly put us roughly 30% bigger than them in potential though:)shame falmer will be far to small:nono:

Reckon crowds will be well down at the mad next season:cool:

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Sorry but I disagree. Until they were flying high most of Reading was awash with fans of the big London teams, Arsenal, Chelsea and even some Spurs. Their catchment area has far more league clubs to poach fans away than ours. Remember we're the ONLY league club in all of Sussex, where the population is almost twice that of crummy Berkshire. The CITY of Brighton & Hove also has a greater population than the TOWN of Reading.

We are only 13 miles further out from London than Reading so we might pick up some more fans with Falmer.

Not sure how much the county comes into it. Chichester is my home town but nearly everyone supported Portsmouth when I was a kid. I was in a very small minority supporting Brighton. (Conversely, everyone supported Sussex CCC!)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here