Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coppell Backing Albion In Play Offs

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
In todays Argus, quite a lot about the Swindon build-up. In particular, Steve Coppell interviewed who says Albion should reach the final because we have "no obvious weakness" and can adapt to any challenge.

He goes on to say about the game vs Swindon when he was in charge having no bearing on the play offs.

Interestingly he says "I am desparate for Brighton to win because I feel part of it. I made a real connection with the players and want them to be successful" ???

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's easy to be a f***ing CREEP over Falmer /play-off chances etc when you've just SHAT on us.

Piss off Coppell. :angry:

Last edited:

Gary Nelson

Jul 25, 2003
Hove
Uncle Buck said:
But did he? Who is to say the club wanted the compensation money more than the manager as they had to pay for the enquiry?

Without wanting to stick my head up your arse, I have heard this from a couple of people that I would consider to be reliable. Dick Knight seems to havre the ability appoint manages that know what they're doing (barring a youth team coach) and *probably* thought if he could get the compenation money, appoint someone else that was decent then we would be in a good position.
It is my strong understanding that Coppell would have stayed had he been made to feel more wanted by the board. Havinbg said that, Im not slating Knigt for the decision he made

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Personally, I would agree that the compensation probably meant more to the club.

Time has eased my anger about Coppell, I don't dislike him personally but I absolutely loathe Reading and am so pleased they missed out on the play-off's :clap2:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
GUNTER said:
Personally, I would agree that the compensation probably meant more to the club.

Time has eased my anger about Coppell, I don't dislike him personally but I absolutely loathe Reading and am so pleased they missed out on the play-off's :clap2:

My issue with the whole Coppell situation is he gets an absolute slatting on here the whole time as people think he did the dirty on us and maybe he did. However, although his record reads One Relegation, the job he did last season was near miraculous. He took over a side on 4 points and went into the last game with a chance of staying up. This season he had us 4 points clear, with a worse side than the one that won this league last time. In a way it is McGhee that has let us down as he has not been able to get the side to the standards his predecessor set. However in reality our squad is average and McGhee has done well to get us to 4th.

Coppell in my opinion is up there with Adams in the manager stakes. People view Mickey through rose tinted specs and he did turn this club around. What people forget is when we came back from Gillingham he had something like 15 players out of contract and so in reality a blank canvas to work with. However he brought in players to do a job and they did it. Coppell did not have this blank canvas and had to work with the shite Taylor and Hinsh left him with.

Cue usual slatting, but that is my view on it all.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Uncle Buck said:
My issue with the whole Coppell situation is he gets an absolute slatting on here the whole time as people think he did the dirty on us and maybe he did. However, although his record reads One Relegation, the job he did last season was near miraculous. He took over a side on 4 points and went into the last game with a chance of staying up. This season he had us 4 points clear, with a worse side than the one that won this league last time. In a way it is McGhee that has let us down as he has not been able to get the side to the standards his predecessor set. However in reality our squad is average and McGhee has done well to get us to 4th.

Coppell in my opinion is up there with Adams in the manager stakes. People view Mickey through rose tinted specs and he did turn this club around. What people forget is when we came back from Gillingham he had something like 15 players out of contract and so in reality a blank canvas to work with. However he brought in players to do a job and they did it. Coppell did not have this blank canvas and had to work with the shite Taylor and Hinsh left him with.

Ain't gonna slate you. Totally agree..

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
He was definately up there with Adams, both very hard acts to follow, and the only solace I get over his departure is the fact that he didn't manage to get Reading into the play offs so I can convince myself that he ain't all that.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Maybe you're right Uncle Buck - I'm just fuming that he buggered off after preaching loyality to his star striker and walked out on a club who gave him a chance. Basically, I really do believe he could have been the best manager we've ever had if he'd stayed for 5 years.

Maybe he'll come back, I don't know. And to be fair, since he left he has said and acted in a way that suggests he really cares about Brighton and Hove Albion. You certainly get the impression he'd much rather be at Brighton with a 22,500 stadium guaranteed to happen in 3 years time than at Reading right now with their stadium already built. And I guess its not his fault that this scenario is still not the case.

Ho-hum. My anti Coppell stance is softening...

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Dick Knight gave permission to Madejski ( " listen, it's pronnounced Mad-ay-ski, not Mad-et-ski, alright :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: ) to talk to Coppell. You can't say that he tried desperately hard to keep hold of him.

And it's just if's and buts to say we would have been guarenteed automatic promotion under Coppell. The way he froze out players like Virgo and Piercy has been shown to be an own goal. We'd probably never have got Benjamen, & certainly not Iwelumo if he'd stayed. Did he ever use his substitutes tactically ?

I don't see Coppell's departure in anyway other than as another progression in this clubs standards. It's interesting that many of Reading's signings since Coppell's arrival have been players he's had before, either here or at Brentford. I think Maghee has better contacts within the higher Divisions and has more tactical flexibity in the way he prepares for games.

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
But would we have got Leon without Coppell?

I agree with the consensus here - Steve Coppell did well for us, has continued to be positive about us and didn't ask to leave. I do believe he would have stayed if Knight had have wanted him to, but compensation was more important to the club and with Cotterill, Dowie and then McGhee all avaiable, 3 managers more than capable of doing a job for brighton, it was the right choice for the club.

The only gripe I had with Coppell was the inordinate amount of time he spent last Summer faffing around about signing a new cointract, and then spent even more time "agonising" over a pretty straight forward question - do you want to go to reading, yes or no?"

I would have ealisy accepted the Adams "I'm off, its been fun but it's a bigger job and i can't pass the opportunity up" reason rather than Coppell's seemingly endless procrastination.

I certainly never had a problem with Knight letting him talk to Reading (it could have been a condition of contract for all I know) but there was no pint in not letting him talk - otherwise he would have simply resigned and taken up the Reading job, leaving us will up the creek

That siad I thought he was a top quality coach and that those 9 points we dropped when Booker was in charge are probablt the reason why we dlipped into the pay-offs rather than go uo by right.

Uncle Buck said:

TOP post that.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Uncle Buck said:

As usual Uncle Buck is talking common sense. My only problem with SC was his treatment of Virgo.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I liked him and thought he was a fantastic manger and very nearly pulled of an unbelievable escape for us.

Also I can see all the reasons to go to Reading - face facts they have a better infrastructure than us and hopefully are only about 5 years ahead of us - it's called ambition and good luck to those who take the opportunity when it arrives.

Stumpy Tim

Coppell didn't save us from relegation. He then would have got us promoted but buggered off. I don't hate him, but they are the facts. If any manager does well enough & is loyal enough to stay 5 years then he will become a legend. Coppell didn't

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Can anyone remember the last Albion manager to stay for 5 years! :lolol:

I think it might have been Barry Lloyd?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here