Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coppell: Announcement today

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
it's on Reading's website that they have a press conference at 1030.

Wouldn't it be nice if Graham Rix was their new boss...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Lush said:
How do you negotiate on compensation if Coppell has agreed terms? What leverage do you have?

You are working on the assumption that, if an employer wants you to work for a year, and you sign a piece of paper to that effect, you have a master plan which will take a year to augment/fulfil etc. Now that plan is all cocked up, and you demand compensation for the dissolution of that plan. It basically means you have to start again.

Plus, even if you are employing an out-of-contract, or out-of-work manager, there are always cost implications with that manager starting his new job, such as relocation, administration etc..

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
The Large One said:
Also, I know for a fact that DK noticed Graham Rix was at the Blackpool, and treated that fact with complete disinterest. He knows Rix's background, and the baggage he carries.

Sorry Large One, your going on the "I know for a fact" list,for future reference when when Rix is appointed.

Herman Munster

Sep 14, 2003
Ashington
:salute:

DK disinterested in Rix? There is a God!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Note to Graham Rix:

Please leave our club alone!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It WILL happen I'm convinced of it, but exactly when is anyone's guess. I've heard various media reports every day for about the last 10, saying it will be "in the next 24 hours."

I'm just waiting to hear that someone has called a press conference. And NOT our usual Thursday one at the training ground.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
The Large One said:
Knight wants nothing to do with Rix. Sorry to name drop, but he told me that himself.

oh right!!!! so you know Dick! or was it a Knight of the round table?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Platypuss said:
It's now all over:

"SMS from club - press conference live on Reading World at 10.30 to announce new manager! At last "

Oh, okay, that'll do for me.

Thanks Steve, I've actually enjoyed the 12 months under your leadership.

Top man.

The king is dead, long live the king.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
"Rix 'dicks in underage chicks' fix."

Choose Dowie. Because life's complicated enough.

Lush

Mods' Pet
The Large One said:
You are working on the assumption that, if an employer wants you to work for a year, and you sign a piece of paper to that effect, you have a master plan which will take a year to augment/fulfil etc. Now that plan is all cocked up, and you demand compensation for the dissolution of that plan. It basically means you have to start again.

Plus, even if you are employing an out-of-contract, or out-of-work manager, there are always cost implications with that manager starting his new job, such as relocation, administration etc..

No - I understand why compensation is appropriate, but how can you demand it? Do we have to release Coppell in some way - and therefore we are negotiating with Reading how much it will cost to release him? Could we refuse to release him - is that the only bargaining tool we have in demanding £200K say, rather than the £2.00 Madjeski probably wants to give us.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Brixtaan said:
oh right!!!! so you know Dick! or was it a Knight of the round table?

Actually, it was on a round table. I was in hospitality after the game on Saturday, with The Odds & Sods, all of whom happen to know Dick very well. It's not that big a secret. Dick is very approachable, and if you ask him a direct question, you may not sometimes get a straight 'yes' or 'no', but you will get a response which will leave you in no doubt as to what he means.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Lush said:
No - I understand why compensation is appropriate, but how can you demand it? Do we have to release Coppell in some way - and therefore we are negotiating with Reading how much it will cost to release him? Could we refuse to release him - is that the only bargaining tool we have in demanding £200K say, rather than the £2.00 Madjeski probably wants to give us.

Yes, we can demand it, because Coppell is/was under contract. It is COPPELL who is breaking the contract, and he therefore is liable to pay for it. In this instance, because he is going to Reading, effectively, they are paying Coppell to pay Brighton to break the contract.

ChutneyStirrer

Sep 14, 2003
Lush said:

Because Coppell is contracted to the Albion and we need to be compensated for releasing him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here