Sorry to say it, but this morning's SFM News stated that it will be announced
today that Steve Coppell IS leaving. The delay was apparently due to
negotiations about compensation. It was also said that Graham Rix is one of
the leading contenders for the vacant position. Bob Booker will be in charge
for the time being.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Well, at least I can get on with some work today. All this speculation proved to be very distracting.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Stumpy Tim said:
If Rix takes over I'll personally fly home & headbutt Dick Knight

You'll have to take a number and wait in line with the rest of us

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I heard that bulletin too and although they made it sound like fact, they still finished off by saying that it was the big rumour flying round all the journo's. I sure hope to god the Rix thing is a load of crap.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Appointing Rix would be a farce

coat on and out the door

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
I'd heard Dean White was in the running and can confirm the delay was due to tight-arse Madf***wit offering low compensation to which our Knight basically said that Reading got a lot from West Ham so we want a lot from them. This is what I heard from a couple of fairly reliable sources who also mentioned Dowie so if its wrong I'm sorry. Not heard anything about Rix and pray its a rumour he's started himself to try to get back into the game.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Its still all supposition - no one knows except Steve.

He'll go though.

Platypuss

Oct 2, 2003
Link works fine for me, and I sure as hell haven't paid for a subscription!

Maybe the site can detect that you are overseas?

I won't c&p it here as it's already been done on another thread.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
SiNZ said:
That link doesn't work unless you have paid for an online subscription to The Times.

OK... here's the dialogue.

Reading to confirm Coppell as successor to Pardew
By Peter Lansley

READING’S long wait to restore stability to the club after Alan Pardew’s defection to West Ham United should end today when Steve Coppell is due be announced as their manager.

Coppell’s record with Brighton & Hove Albion during the past 12 months has underlined his credentials as an outstanding manager and Reading, who were second in the Nationwide League first division when Pardew announced his resignation on September 10, will be eager to halt their recent run of disappointing results. Last season’s play-off semi-finalists have gained four points from a possible 18 and have slid to twelfth place in the table.

Having received £380,000 from West Ham for Pardew’s release, it is understood that Reading will pay Brighton more than £150,000 in compensation for a manager whose past 46 league results with Brighton have yielded 68 points. After their relegation last summer, however, Coppell, 48, signed a new one-year contract and has admitted that, if it was not for the club’s ground — they play at the 7,000-capacity Withdean Stadium while plans for a new home grind on slowly — he would not consider leaving Brighton.

Glenn Hoddle, Tony Adams and Iain Dowie are among others whom Reading have interviewed. However, the track record of the former Brentford and Crystal Palace manager led the club to choose Coppell.

Brighton, top of the second division, yesterday dismissed speculation that Paul Merson, the Walsall captain, is set to become their player-manager. While contenders may include Adams, the former England captain, and Gary Johnson, who has led Yeovil Town into the Nationwide League, Steve Cotterill, 39, the former Sunderland No 2 and Cheltenham Town and Stoke City manager, is the favourite to succeed Coppell.

Cotterill gained popularity at Brighton when he played on loan from Wimbledon in 1992 and yesterday he turned down the opportunity to take over at Tranmere Rovers.

Platypuss

Oct 2, 2003
It's now all over:

"SMS from club - press conference live on Reading World at 10.30 to announce new manager! At last "

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Yep. Just got that one too (signed up yesterday and will unsubscribe again afterwards!).

People on HNA also got it too... 10:30 it is.

Whoever it is, its definitely announced today. Hallelujah.

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
So are we all supposed to act surprised at 10:30?

Top marks to DK for holding out for compensation if that's what caused the delay.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Be nice if we get a press conference to announce our new manager today but I think thats wishful thinking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here