Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Coping with Grealish’s diving

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
i feel your pain, stay strong

I really enjoyed the way Biss robbed him of the ball a couple of times. More of that, today, please.

Grealish is the most improved EPL player this season (Gündoğan running close second) and a joy to watch. The way he draws a foul is masterful. If you want the ball, don't foul him. Simple. He'll make a massive impact for England if given a chance. We will do well to keep him quiet today.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I hope everyone keeps their cool on the pitch today. If it’s galling for us it must be pretty infuriating to be playing against him.

Aside from us though it’d be nice to see a referee actually stand up to Grealish for once? Simulation should be an offence. Stark booking him for all these cheating theatrics.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Since Villa got promoted, a massive part of their game plan is to win soft free kicks around the penalty area. It’s how they got their goal against us at Villa Park. It’s amazing that referees haven’t cottoned on to it even though they’ve been doing it for nearly 2 seasons now.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Aside from us though it’d be nice to see a referee actually stand up to Grealish for once? Simulation should be an offence. Stark booking him for all these cheating theatrics.

Darren England was recently promoted from the Championship to officiate at Premier League level. He was ref for our Blackpool cup match, I really didn’t notice him that much (which is a good thing!).

He has done 6 EPL games this season. This will be his second Villa game, the first saw 7 goals. I’ll try and find 10mins today to see how often he falls for the Grealish tumble:

https://youtu.be/tUp6emp90TE

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Most fouled with little or no injuries should tell ref's that he cheats. Need to do an El-Abd on him, be in his ear winding him up until he flips. He does get away with a lot of petulance, but just keep flinging insults his way, he'll snap. He's an easy target you only have to see the way he looks or his off field antics, plenty to work with
Little or no injuries? I can guarantee that four or five times tonight, he will be on the floor screaming in pain with what appears to be a career-threatening injury. He is badly injured several times a game. He's just a very quick healer! :ohmy:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
New tactic today.

When he gets the ball, back to our goal and holding possession we need to charge towards him a-panting and a-snorting as if we mean to send him into orbit.

Then, chuck on the brakes so that when he does a triple back flip with a twist in anticipation of a robust hit, he does so with no contact and gets a yellow.

Sorted.

To quote Kevin Keagan. I would love it!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Most fouled with little or no injuries should tell ref's that he cheats. Need to do an El-Abd on him, be in his ear winding him up until he flips. He does get away with a lot of petulance, but just keep flinging insults his way, he'll snap. He's an easy target you only have to see the way he looks or his off field antics, plenty to work with

That’s just made me wish we could have seen El-Abd in the Premier League, patting these prima-donnas on the head at every opportunity. It would be brilliant theatre.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Feel your pain. What I can't really understand is that all football fans know it (apart from the deluded Villa fans) so how come refs don't see it. He is much worse than Zaha and he is the reason I will not watch or support England if he plays, as I can't be a hypocrite and hate him when he plays in the premier league, then support him with 3 lions on his shirt. He would have been sorted out in the old days, by a Norman Hunter or Ron Harris, I blame the refs for letting him get away with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Hopefully the team won’t give him cause to dive by clobbering him properly, and repeatedly.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I suggest we adopt the British Lions 1974 "99" call. The first time Grealish is about to receive the ball with at least 4 Brighton players within short sprinting range, Dunk shouts "99"and all of them kick him as hard as they can in the nearest part of his anatomy. At the same time the rest of the team all kick the nearest Villa player. Let VAR sort that out.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'd like to see him injure himself, to the point he has to hobble off for a driving lesson.

Maybe a pretend challenge and he dives so well he does himself in on landing.

Failing that someone takes him out karate kid style.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I’ve got the impression that other players are getting fed up with him. He seems to be getting a lot more grief from his fellow pros than he used to. I honestly think he is doing it less these days in the hope of getting into the England team. I can dream!

He has been diving less frequently in recent games. We can only hope it's because he's been told to cut it out and get on with playing. It did the trick for Ashley Young some years ago when the bad press from other players and the media got too much for SAF.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Not the team.......me!

I’m not ashamed to say that I got very wound up in the reverse fixture as Grealish went to ground every-time one of our lads tried to tackle him. Only Zaha can match him in that machiavellian tactic of anticipating a tackle and then diving when it comes in, he is very good at it.

The referee that day, Michael Oliver, was in awe of Grealish, he gave him free kick after free kick as the brummie dived about here, there, and everywhere. He then got Lamptey sent off and had a go at Veltman after he’d got an elbow. I was steaming by then.

So this time I’m going to stay a lot calmer. I’m going to accept before the game that he’ll win at least half a dozen free kicks by diving when one of our players goes near him. I’m going to accept that he could have an admirer in the referee, Darren England, and that this might lead to some of our players getting yellows or reds for his repeated dives.

Let’s just hope that we’ve got a very experienced defender or midfielder looking after him, you never know, he might get one of those games Muzza used to have when his dark arts were simply ignored by the referee and he got absolutely nothing.

Make yourself some scorecards. :thumbsup:

Ra3837c2bc40838de2ddefa865d695230.jpg

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I really enjoyed the way Biss robbed him of the ball a couple of times. More of that, today, please.

Grealish is the most improved EPL player this season (Gündoğan running close second) and a joy to watch. The way he draws a foul is masterful. If you want the ball, don't foul him. Simple. He'll make a massive impact for England if given a chance. We will do well to keep him quiet today.

biss kicking him up in the air without conceding a freekick was almost as enjoyable as scoring for me; should be another tight contest today, 2-1 again i hope!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Here's an idea...lets actually kick him...give him something to cry about.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
It does seem that either refs are in awe of him and don't want to penalise him. "Wow there's Grealish, England's best who couldn't possibly cheat, I'm going to give everything his way because I'm a crawly bum lick", or can't actually tell the genuine from the simulated .
It'll be solely down to the inclination of the ref.
Unfortunately Grealish will dive all over the place today and win many free kicks because this ref will be weak and not want to upset the England/FA/Premier League applecart.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here