Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Copenhagen

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
With my wife being a big fan of the Killing, I have booked a four day break to Copenhagen so we can go on the tour. After that apart from a few coloured houses, a mermaid and some gardens is there much else to do apart from drink overly expensive Carlsberg? Will there be enough to keep interest for four days and is it woth heading over the bridge to Stokholm?

getz

Jan 15, 2010
Look at your map. Over the bridge is Malmo.Stockholm is hundreds of miles to the north.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I went a while ago to visit friends and really enjoyed it. Plenty of good bars and restaurants – little bit pricey but I put that down to the Euro. Good choice of fresh seafood washed down with some good beer, they do a mean breakfast platter as well. Doing the journey over the Oresund to Malmo was definitely worth spending a day on. There’s some place – forgotten the name – where you get a load of spaced out aging hippies. The Little Mermaid was a positively underwhelming experience. Very green city with lots of bikes parked everywhere and some interesting architecture. You might struggle to fill four days.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
The Sex Museum is a laff.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
. There’s some place – forgotten the name – where you get a load of spaced out aging hippies.

Christiania - Was closed in 2011 but believe is open again

Carlsberg brewery worth a visit

The English pub opposite Tivoli is run by a Brighton fan - They did a feature on him in one of last seasons programs

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I took my wife there two year ago and we loved it...the museum is excellent and Tivoli is great.

A lot to do, but the little mermaid is a little underwhelming as others have said.

When we went we did a tour of the castles in the area and it was great. Make sure you try some smorgasbord which is a type of rye bread and herring.

Oh and remember that Tuborg is THE beer in Denmark and not carlsberg as much.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Pricey, paid about £25 for a Wagamamas main and a beer there. Some nice pubs and some of the other Carlsburg is good (loads of different types.) nice place though, surprisingly quite a few Brits out there studying as Uni is very cheap

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Its VERY dear.

Spent four nights there recently but was travelling to/from the city on two of the days so didn't see much those days. Had also done a weekend a few years ago which consisted solely of the Carlsberg brewery (worth seeing) and Christiana (not my thing)

Some bars sell the other Danish lager (Royal? I think) but many just sell two or three Carlsberg products, e.g. it, Tuborg and Carls Special.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I went a while ago to visit friends and really enjoyed it. Plenty of good bars and restaurants – little bit pricey but I put that down to the Euro. Good choice of fresh seafood washed down with some good beer, they do a mean breakfast platter as well. Doing the journey over the Oresund to Malmo was definitely worth spending a day on. There’s some place – forgotten the name – where you get a load of spaced out aging hippies. The Little Mermaid was a positively underwhelming experience. Very green city with lots of bikes parked everywhere and some interesting architecture. You might struggle to fill four days.

it was the krone last time i went ???

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
The English pub opposite Tivoli is run by a Brighton fan - They did a feature on him in one of last seasons programs

It is and that Brighton fan happens to be my brother so always worth dropping in for a drink. Might even see Casper Angerkren in there in the summer.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It is and that Brighton fan happens to be my brother so always worth dropping in for a drink. Might even see Casper Angerkren in there in the summer.

Ahhhh yes I met him too!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I stay at the Admiral on the waterfront, converted warehouse you can get some really good rates. It really isnt as dear as people make out, if you are coming from the UK. Drinking is much much cheaper in Denmark than in Norway or Sweden, you are only paying SE England prices really unless you are being silly. Denmark gets lumped in with the other scandinavian countries when people talk about prices but food and drink is cheaper there than the others.

Get the train to Odense if you get bored and like Hans Christian Andersen, 4 days in Copenhagen is well enough unless you just like the city.

Christiania is just the north laine but with more pricks. but christianshavn itself is quite brighton-like and very reasonable for drinking. plus you can smoke in the pubs as the Danes arent as f***ing hysterical and ridiculous as us.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Good 3 nights there 4 or 5 years back. VERY expensive drinks but everything else isn't too bad. Had a night out on my own as the other 2 lads couldn't hack it first night and needed their sleep :shrug: Met LOADS of really friendly people happy to show me around, take you to free bars and clubs and introduce you to other people. Good around the uni, between it and the main road down toward the mermaid (and past the famous national gardens on the right?). It's only a small city for a Capitol so a lot seemed to know each other everywhere. Women are FIT but not predominently blonde (thankfully). Guys talk plenty of football and have a laugh. Everyone danced and smoked / drank rather than had fights which was refreshing! Even standing outside on heated decks in middle of a Scandinavian night was more than comfortable (might have been PARTLY down to the excellent beers imbibed though).

Shopping is decent, mermaid a bit over-rated and apparently the law states (bit like some of our silly ones) you can knock on anyone's door in the city and use their loo (not sure if true but). Oh and Skol is cheers...... only word I needed as everyone 20-30 spoke excellent English and was more than happy to.

Best sports bar outside the U.S. is in the main railway station (probably come in there from airport). Fuseball tables (Danes are good) and pool, plus various sections semi-divided off and showing various sports at same time. Ice-hockey and Prem league ruled while I was there. Not cheap but no more expensive than all the trendy Prague style cellar bars frequented near uni.

Get to a game while out there if you can!!! Brondby is out west of city and is old, historic team..... F.C. Kobenhavn is new (1992 I think) and monied rival bit like PSG 3 or 4 years ago. They play at the National stadium and I got taken to the derby in their home singing end by randoms met the first night, later in my stay....... well worth it, good atmosphere, average prices but was THE derby game. Everyone stood throughout despite VERY modern, average sized stadium (guess 30-35k). No trouble seen other than usual for a derby in U.K.)

Have fun! :thumbsup:

Market Porter

Or The Globe
Feb 14, 2008
South Walk
Christiania was still open for business in May when I last went. You will pay far too much to eat and drink on Nyhavn. Stroget is the main shopping street and has some good value bars nearby which even do a happy hour (Brings prices to UK equivalent) Tivoli is rather twee but worth the visit and then there's the castle and the royal bit with changing of the guard etc. You can probably do it all in a day with a good pair of shoes so you'll have ample time to visit Malmo and the Hamlet stuff too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here