Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cooking Mysteries

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
1. Why is it that you can microwave most things with a good degree of success but soup is impossible to microwave. If you pour some soup into a mug and put it in the microwave for 2 minutes why is it after about 45 secods the mug explodes and the soup ends up on the roof of the microwave. However when you take the mug out the soup is not even luke warm. This is most odd , please explain why ???

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Solution: Heat up soup in a covered microwavable container & then pour into mug :thumbsup:

Haven't got a scooby why you can't do it your way mind...

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
some vessels are condoucters and take all the heat. making the mug-pot too hot.

i always re heat soup on the hob.:cool:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Another question:

I presume the components of a microwave are principally metallic, so how come they tell you not to put metallic objects in when you cook?

???

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Another question:

I presume the components of a microwave are principally metallic, so how come they tell you not to put metallic objects in when you cook?

???

Wikipedia knows:

'Any object containing pointed metal can create an electric arc (cause sparks) when microwaved. This includes cutlery, aluminium foil, ceramics decorated with metal, and most anything containing any type of metal. Forks are a good example. This is because the tines of the fork resonate with the microwave radiation and produce high voltage at the tips. This has the effect of exceeding the dielectric breakdown of air, about 3 megavolts per meter (3×106 V/m). The air forms a conductive plasma, which is visible as a spark. The plasma and the tines may then form a conductive loop, which may be a more effective antenna, resulting in a longer lived spark. Any time dielectric breakdown occurs in air, some ozone and nitrogen oxides are formed, both of which are toxic. Microwaving food containing an individual smooth metal object without pointed ends (for example, a spoon) usually does not produce sparking.
Certain foods if carefully arranged can also produce arcing, such as grapes.' :ohmy:

First ever time I came across a microwave I tried cooking egg.

It exploded the instant I opened the door, sending egg everywhere!

Then I read the instructions, and one of the first things said was "do not try to cook an egg with this".
I thought to myself "I have learned much, this day"

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
I once used a microwave to heat up some milk. When I took the mug containing the hot milk out of the microwave the milk was not boiling. However, as soon as I put a metal spoon into the mug to stir the milk, it literally EXPLODED out of the mug burning me up my arm. :(

Why did that happen?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
You can cook eggs in a microwave, you just have to make a tiny hole in each end.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
I once used a microwave to heat up some milk. When I took the mug containing the hot milk out of the microwave the milk was not boiling. However, as soon as I put a metal spoon into the mug to stir the milk, it literally EXPLODED out of the mug burning me up my arm. :(

Why did that happen?

Think it has something to do with it conducting the heat.
;)

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
This is a timely thread as me and my bf were discussing tonight why you can reheat a pasta dish in the microwave and it is practically boiling hot all the way through, but 30 seconds later it is cold!

Why is that?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Here's a cookery mystery for you.

Why do people read Oliver and Ramsey, when Nigel Slater (or god, as he is known in our house) can help you to produce some of the best food you will ever eat.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Here's a cookery mystery for you.

Why do people read Oliver and Ramsey, when Nigel Slater (or god, as he is known in our house) can help you to produce some of the best food you will ever eat.

Nigel Slater - Real Fast Food in under 30 mins. Bought it 8-9 years back, excellent book.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This is a timely thread as me and my bf were discussing tonight why you can reheat a pasta dish in the microwave and it is practically boiling hot all the way through, but 30 seconds later it is cold!

Why is that?

I think that's pasta for you.

Try warming the bowl in oven first.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Tomorrow I will be having poached eggs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here