Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** Controversial Thread Alert ***

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
When he first joined he did not get on with the then manager Dean Wilkins. This was partly due to Murray being recruited behind Wilkins' back, and partly due to them both being fairly shy, quiet blokes, Wilkins then had a mystery illness/ nervous breakdown (no one knows for sure) towards the end of the season, and Glenn was having domestic problems as his partner did not settle down south.

He put in a transfer request within a couple of months of signing due to his poor relationship with Wilkins. When Wilkins was sacked Mickey Adams persuaded him to stay, but a misdiagnosed hernia meant that Murray only played half the following season, and was sent off for elbowing a player, as well as collecting a lot of unnecessary yellows.

Start of following season he started on bench against Brentford. He had put in another transfer request as his partner had left him and taken the kid with her. When he came off the bench our 'witty' fans sang songs about his ex. At the end of the match he didn't 'respect' said fans by clapping them as he came off the pitch and they went mental at him.

Two more red cards that season, plus his ongoing undiagnosed injury restricted appearances. His shy demeanour was interpreted as aloofness and moody. Because he didn't run about like a headless chicken it was interpreted as laziness.

His full fitness and finding a new partner coincided with Gus arriving. Certainly his disciplinary record has improved, but his goals:games record was fairly consistent under the four managers he played under during his time at the club. A practically full season in 2010/11, coupled with domestic harmony, coming into his playing prime, a better style of play and better players around him, meant that he scored 22 last year.

Excellent summary!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I was very happy to see Murray go, because I was convinced Gus would bring in someone better to replace him. Unfortunately, he did not, and we are really struggling without a target man (or the ability to pass the ball into the net like Spain). Maybe out flattering start to the season gave him a false impression of our needs?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
When he first joined he did not get on with the then manager Dean Wilkins. This was partly due to Murray being recruited behind Wilkins' back, and partly due to them both being fairly shy, quiet blokes, Wilkins then had a mystery illness/ nervous breakdown (no one knows for sure) towards the end of the season, and Glenn was having domestic problems as his partner did not settle down south.

He put in a transfer request within a couple of months of signing due to his poor relationship with Wilkins. When Wilkins was sacked Mickey Adams persuaded him to stay, but a misdiagnosed hernia meant that Murray only played half the following season, and was sent off for elbowing a player, as well as collecting a lot of unnecessary yellows.

Start of following season he started on bench against Brentford. He had put in another transfer request as his partner had left him and taken the kid with her. When he came off the bench our 'witty' fans sang songs about his ex. At the end of the match he didn't 'respect' said fans by clapping them as he came off the pitch and they went mental at him.

Two more red cards that season, plus his ongoing undiagnosed injury restricted appearances. His shy demeanour was interpreted as aloofness and moody. Because he didn't run about like a headless chicken it was interpreted as laziness.

His full fitness and finding a new partner coincided with Gus arriving. Certainly his disciplinary record has improved, but his goals:games record was fairly consistent under the four managers he played under during his time at the club. A practically full season in 2010/11, coupled with domestic harmony, coming into his playing prime, a better style of play and better players around him, meant that he scored 22 last year.

A fair assessment of the GM situation.

I was disappointed that a deal could not be done to keep him and I don't blame him at all for going where he got the best offer.

We bought the type of player who, I believe would have partnered GM perfectly - CMS - and we really need someone of his type now.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Someone like Murrary but better!

Will cost at least £2m. Players of Murray's quality DON'T grow on trees, as everyone seemed to think when Glenn left.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Why the f*** did we let him go

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
We bought the type of player who, I believe would have partnered GM perfectly - CMS - and we really need someone of his type now.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. It always looks to me like CMS needs a partner. He often seems slightly isolated and in need of someone to work with him. He can run at players and always works hard, but if he is closed down does not seem to have the physical presence to always bully his way through.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I admit I was wrong to think we wouldnt miss him. We clearly do. However El Pres in producing your history you've neglected to mention why Murray's partner went back up north with his kid (or indeed didnt permanently move south).

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I'd rather have Murray/Wood right now than CMS/Barnes, because they fit our style of play much, much more.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
It may look like a mistake now that we are struggling, but there was clearly something amiss between Murray and Poyet - maybe they just didn't get on? All the while he played well last year may have been hiding something behind the scenes and it was best not to continue to employ him at a higher wage and length of contract than we were willing to part with. Perhaps Poyet should have managed it better so we could keep him but something clearly didn't sit right for him as the money was obviously there for Gus if he wanted.

Everyone said at the time to trust Gus' decision and I still back that.

Last edited:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Wood is the interesting one - so many on here felt he wasnt worth it (and this wasnt a jilted post event view a la Murray but a view constantly espoused on here while he played for us) but I constantly knew he would do well and his time at Birmingham proves it.

herbicide

weedkiller
Mar 25, 2006
Horley
Gus is a top manager. Letting your best player go and getting Mackerel-Smith in to score tap-ins whilst playing up front alone was a stroke of genius.

I do hope he stays on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here