Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Contenders For The Managers Job (according to various Argus articles)

yay, another managers poll

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
If Mark Venus gets the job I will personally break in to the club offices and have a dump on Tony Blooms desk

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What's the fascination with ole he is unproven and we need proven now more than ever?

???

I suppose if he had the job and Stanley was still around he could say "That's another fine mess you got us in to...........emmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmMM"
Oh come on Mouldy, where's your sense of adventure? And 'proven' often means 'has failed before'.

D

Deleted member 2719

Oh come on Mouldy, where's your sense of adventure? And 'proven' often means 'has failed before'.

True but like you said often, not all the time. If TB pick him and it's a disaster there won't be many saying well done for trying TB.
I know our tony likes a gamble but can he risk it so close to Falmer now and lot's of people will judge him on his first appointment as chairmen.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
OGS and PT would be an interesting partnership.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
whoever gets the job, there will be fans calling for his head, pressure on Bloom to sack him and then we start all over again, looking to appoint the next one

Just depends how long it takes for all that to happen

With Falmer coming up, I just feel it needs to be an appointment that will capture the nhearts of the "floating" Brighton fans that makes them come back to watch us, and give the club and town a real feel good factor..

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Phew! Thank heavens the weekends over and we can get back to proper football stuff.
The Sun still says Southgate's got it,so that's him out.Now just about anybody who has pulled on football boots is in the frame.

Hasn't ANYBODY seen Eric Cantona in Churchill Square?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
True but like you said often, not all the time. If TB pick him and it's a disaster there won't be many saying well done for trying TB.
I know our tony likes a gamble but can he risk it so close to Falmer now and lot's of people will judge him on his first appointment as chairmen.
Yeah I know what you're saying and with my 'sensible' head on I think Ole would be more of a risk than some of the others on there. But I'm feeling in a particularly gung-ho mood this morning, and as I honestly believe that the next manager won't see Falmer either I think we can afford an experiment. (A sort of 'Gap Year' manager if you like.) OGS with a coaching staff of Hope Powell and Chris Eubank? Bring it on!

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
1. Gus Poyet
2. Jim Gannon
3. Steve Tilson
4. Ole Gunnar Solskjær
5. Nigel Adkins

However if Tilson wants to come, and Taylor comes with, that would then be my no1 choice.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I think you need to update this list the Argus are now saying Cotterill is on a short list of 4.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Out of interest, what has the Football Genius being doing since he played for us?

Managed a string of County League clubs. Now manager of Ryman Division one side, Walton & Hersham. (Remember them? :ohmy:) Always applies for the Albion job when it becomes available, always gets a 'don't call us, we'll call you response'.

Btw, no.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Ideally, Jim Gannon. Declined our previous offer last season for very good reasons. He's doing well in Scotland and appears to be exactly the kind of manager this club needs right now. Proven at this level and now in SPL, seems to have some morals, knows a lot of the squad and his teams play half decent football.

He is by far and away the best choice from this list which means we have no chance of getting him.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
I think you need to update this list the Argus are now saying Cotterill is on a short list of 4.

The Argus are embarrassing themselves with all their reporting in the last few days.

Now Cotterill is a front-runner with Poyet and they are up against 2 currently employed managers - one of which is Tilson.

Gannon and Adkins remain high on the shortlist - is it me or does that make 3 currently employed managers??

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
The Argus are embarrassing themselves with all their reporting in the last few days.

Now Cotterill is a front-runner with Poyet and they are up against 2 currently employed managers - one of which is Tilson.

Gannon and Adkins remain high on the shortlist - is it me or does that make 3 currently employed managers??

I think it means they think there is a shortlist of four with Cotterill, Poyet and Tilson definitely on it. They don't know the fourth name but think there has been interest in both Gannon and Adkins. Obviously the key word there is "think" as one thing that is becoming clear is that nobody has a clue.

Personally, I hope the shortlist is John Gregory, Tony Adams, Carlton Palmer and John Barnes. That would be a great choice!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Gannon
Adkins
Tilson

All experienced at this level and have had success on a limited budget.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Steve Tilson = Not bad
Justin Edinburgh = Oh dear
Ole Gunnar Solskjær = Good if the Man U kids will come
Nigel Adkins = Dull and will be a lack of ambition
John Crumplin = Are you serious?
Gus Poyet = Has to be the number 1 choice
Jim Gannon = Dull and turned us down before so f*** him
Colin Calderwood = Could be a surprise choice, not too bad
Mark Venus = Oh dear oh dear