Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Considering living in Spain

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I lived in Madrid for two years (2002-2004) was fantastic, i love the country, people, culture everything. Only thing i would say is keep some english speaking friends, probably very possible where youre going, otherwise you will miss a laugh and a joke over time. Try to learn the language, immerse yourself and enjoy it mate, will be great!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I live in Gib during the week and spend alternate w/es at our house in Vejer de la Frontera - other w/es at the Amex. Firstly, unless you've got lots of wonga saved up and don't mind spending it don't move unless you've got a job to go to. Secondly, look carefully at the area you want to live in. Be sure why you want to live there and how it fits in with your reasons for moving to Spain and always start off by renting in case it doesn't work out. Thirdly, if you don't speak Spanish start learning it and continue having lessons (conversational lessons are the best but learn the grammar basics first) when you're out there until you're capable of holding a conversation in Spanish. Fourthly, when you get there, try and immerse yourself in the local life - if you go down the ex-pat route you'll never get out of it and you might as well have stayed at home - well, apart from the weather of course. Fifthly, if you own a house in the UK don't sell it - rent it out because you'll need it if you want to come back. And finally how close do you need to be to an airport that flys to Gatwick so you can get back for those home games?!!

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I live in Gib during the week and spend alternate w/es at our house in Vejer de la Frontera - other w/es at the Amex. Firstly, unless you've got lots of wonga saved up and don't mind spending it don't move unless you've got a job to go to. Secondly, look carefully at the area you want to live in. Be sure why you want to live there and how it fits in with your reasons for moving to Spain and always start off by renting in case it doesn't work out. Thirdly, if you don't speak Spanish start learning it and continue having lessons (conversational lessons are the best but learn the grammar basics first) when you're out there until you're capable of holding a conversation in Spanish. Fourthly, when you get there, try and immerse yourself in the local life - if you go down the ex-pat route you'll never get out of it and you might as well have stayed at home - well, apart from the weather of course. Fifthly, if you own a house in the UK don't sell it - rent it out because you'll need it if you want to come back. And finally how close do you need to be to an airport that flys to Gatwick so you can get back for those home games?!!

Very sound and detailled advice i would say

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
1) Don't buy in Spain rent, If you own a property here rent it out because you will need it when you return.

This is the best advice on this thread. I have a place in Spain and over here but given the choice I would certainly keep my English castle and rent it.

Valencia coastal region is where mine is (Calpe) and it is great. Gonna miss the play off's as we are off on a jaunt. Go careful my friend and dont rush it.

Ask your wife if she would mind living North of Leicester as that is the only place you will be able to afford when you return in two years time.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Ask your wife if she would mind living North of Leicester as that is the only place you will be able to afford when you return in two years time.

Hopefully we'd make provision for further crashes, but point taken

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Jeez! Care to elaborate, even briefly?

I went to a British part, i run a pub for my Mums friend and had the worst time of my life, its amazing i say i hate England and there is alot about it i hate, but really when ya gone ya never realise how much you miss it.

You need alot of money over there also, when your earn a spanish wage out there your savings so go down fast, also like someone said some Brits living in spain are really up there own ass. You also need to know the language thats another part i found tough, ya pick bits up but its hard.

Hopefully we'd make provision for further crashes, but point taken

Sorry Rugrat didn't mean to appear so harsh. But I do know several people who thought living in Spain would be great but returned within 2-3 years and then couldn't catch up with the housing market down here. One friend returned as he didn't know it would be so hot out there !

I admire your adventure if you give it a go.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Sorry Rugrat didn't mean to appear so harsh. But I do know several people who thought living in Spain would be great but returned within 2-3 years and then couldn't catch up with the housing market down here. One friend returned as he didn't know it would be so hot out there !

I admire your adventure if you give it a go.

Sorry? Oh no .. it's a very fair point and one that others have made too. I think there is a major issue living on a UK sterling fixed income and I think a big reason why many have come back as the Euro has priced them out. Something I really need to consider. There's a bunch of other financial considerations that need thinking about too not least the relative movements in property prices.

Lived in hot climate before so not too concerned by that .. I'll shrivel up, but my bird pulling days are behind me so not too concerned by that :smile:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Does it have to be Spain, have you considered other countries?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here