Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Considering living in Spain

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
For all sorts of reasons the Mrs and I are thinking of upping sticks and buggering off to Spain ... initially looking in the region that's along the coast south of Valencia.

We've been talking about it for several weeks and we're now planning on going out there after the Brum game for a look around

Just wondered if anyone else had done it and would be OK sharing experience (pitfalls, legals, medical, house buying process, what to watch out for etc)

If so drop me a PM, won't consume hours of your time!

Cheers

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One pitifull is the development of a wrinkly and leathery skin, a penchant for plentiful gold jewellery and the wife talking like Barbara Windsor. You may end up sounding like Mike Read......triffick.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
For all sorts of reasons the Mrs and I are thinking of upping sticks and buggering off to Spain ... initially looking in the region that's along the coast south of Valencia.

We've been talking about it for several weeks and we're now planning on going out there after the Brum game for a look around

Just wondered if anyone else had done it and would be OK sharing experience (pitfalls, legals, medical, house buying process, what to watch out for etc)

Cheers

There seems to be a lot of people making the reverse move and asa result property prices in Spain have dropped drastically. My wifes sisters in laws had to drop the asking price of their house by £50k to sell it. They didn't live their full time but split their time between there and the uk but the value of the euro, cost of living etc forced them to sell up.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I would be very careful what you buy given a lot of houses in Spain were built illegally and claimed back by the local authorities.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
There seems to be a lot of people making the reverse move and asa result property prices in Spain have dropped drastically. My wifes sisters in laws had to drop the asking price of their house by £50k to sell it. They didn't live their full time but split their time between there and the uk but the value of the euro, cost of living etc forced them to sell up.

Understood. Have already considered exchange rate fluctuation and some ideas to mitigate risk. Decline in property prices is a double edged sword and I guess it would just need some care to ensure not ending up in a "ghost town"

Dec 29, 2011
If you're thinking of getting a job over there bear in mind it's very difficult at the moment. Youth (18-30?) unemployment is 25% at the moment.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One thing my son came up against in Teneriffe when he bought a bar was that he took over all of the debts like electricity, outstanding rates etc and I assume Spain is the same.

A chap we knew in the pub some 10 years ago had to come home because he was 78 and apparently he wasn't allowed to drive in Spain over 70 years of age only if he was visitor not a resident so he told us, don't know if that is true and still in effect.

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I would be very careful what you buy given a lot of houses in Spain were built illegally and claimed back by the local authorities.

Yeah, read about it ... guess it's down to choosing the right lawyer and if there are insurances that can be bought that would indemnify against any loss

pseudonym

Sep 22, 2011
Hell
1) Don't buy in Spain rent, If you own a property here rent it out because you will need it when you return.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
If you're thinking of getting a job over there bear in mind it's very difficult at the moment. Youth (18-30?) unemployment is 25% at the moment.

N/A ... that's part of the reason. Made redundant a year ago and spent 12 months trying to convince people in recruitment that the 20 years of clear achievement is for real ... one of the first things I've ever well and truly failed at!! If I'm going to sit on my arse for the rest of my life I think I might prefer to do it somewhere other than Horsham!

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea

Cheers

My parents live in Portugal and have done for 10yrs. They are more than happy there, however a lot of their social circle (which is predominately expats) are considering moving back. Cost of living and cost of moving money out there from the UK seem to be big factors however the main reason is that their Children are starting to provide them with grandkids and they want to be back in the UK to share in that experience. So I suppose you could call this homesickness.

Can't see my parents moving home anytime soon though. Although they do say the biggest frustration is the masses of red tape you have to wade through to do seemingly simple things like install a phone line, or change PO Box address etc.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Would also suggest you live somewhere that is really Spanish.

Lived there for 2 years and the worst thing about it, apart from missing the family loads, was the Brits over there. A lot of them are very much up their own arses and carry on like they own the place (not all of them, but quite a lot) and are prone to forming little cliques.

The Spanish, on the other hand, are wonderful & welcoming, (most of them) and have a lovely outlook on life, even when things are difficult.
If you lived in a small Spanish town, I'm sure you would be made to feel welcome and become part of the community.

And, as other posters on here have suggested, rent somewhere for at least 6 months just to make sure that it really is for you.

daib0

Nov 20, 2011
Spain - England

Lived there for 2 years and the worst thing about it, apart from missing the family loads, was the Brits over there. A lot of them are very much up their own arses and carry on like they own the place (not all of them, but quite a lot) and are prone to forming little cliques.

The Spanish, on the other hand, are wonderful & welcoming, (most of them) and have a lovely outlook on life, even when things are difficult.
If you lived in a small Spanish town, I'm sure you would be made to feel welcome and become part of the community.

And, as other posters on here have suggested, rent somewhere for at least 6 months just to make sure that it really is for you.

Agreed, good post. I've got a Spanish wife and been there for over 15 years, but in the north on Atlantic side. Prices of houses/appartments south of Valencia are falling right away right now, lots of buildings are getting repossessed due to the economic crisis. Just go a little inland, say 15-25 miles and the prices are very low compared to Britain.
The earlier poster about youth unemployment is in fact far, far too conservative - figures out last week showed that under 25s are currently on a staggering 50.5% unemployment rate - the worst in all the EU. Official figures for all ages are convenveniently botched up - supposedly about 4,700,000 but everyone knows it's well above 5 million because many on professional preparation courses are not included to cover figures, and other government 'tricks'. Also unemployment is only paid for a maximum two years here; after that you have to beg to family etc. Neither principal political party have the answers, to tell you the frank truth. And the recession will last quite a few years yet!
Many British have come over to run bars/restaurants all along the coast, but a high proportion find it doesn't work out after a couple of years - so very careful in choosing exactly where you set up. Tourism continues to play a big part, but traditional industries south of Valencia - like glass-making and fabrics/clothes - has all but dried up now.
Even so, I believe the opportunity to make it good still exists if you are astute, listen to local advice from many sources, and are willing to put in over-the-top hours first two or three years ...

seagull1981

Blue & White Forever
Aug 8, 2010
It wont be cheap though! Paying for travel to the AMEX every Saturday! :D

There's something about an expat community that is truly loathsome.

Learn the language and live in real Spain. Alternatively ... choose Bournemouth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here