Votes: 198 70.5%
  • Nah

Votes: 83 29.5%

• Total voters

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
To quote Shearer on numerous occasions
(Big team) He's entitled to go down there even if he is already falling before contact
(Small team against a big team) no way that is a penalty

Plenty of big team bias decisions given today

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I’m not sure there’s enough to overturn it, but let’s face it Hooper has always been a feckin’ cheat. Remember the Calderon penalty?

Anyway, Connolly does need to try and stand up a bit more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
This was less of a foul.

[tweet]1309859521842622464[/tweet]

Yep. We were talking about that at the time and after the game. Exactly the same situation but FAR less of a foul. And yet White gets booked. The referee has had an absolute shocker today. The ****.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’m not sure there’s enough to overturn it, but let’s face it Hooper has always been a feckin’ cheat. Remember the Calderon penalty?

Anyway, Connolly does need to try and stand up a bit more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The same Hooper who gave Bournemouth a penalty for a foul outside the box on a Brighton player at Withdean? I sighed when I heard he was the VAR ref as I just knew he’d screw us over if the opportunity arose.

Can someone with in depth knowledge of the laws of the game explain to me why Connolly was not entitled to move across Pogba when he was already in front of him, because to me it looked a very obvious penalty?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The frustrating thing for me is that it’s an Umpire’s Call 50/50 one, yet got overturned. What the **** happened to clear and obvious? It’s 100% not a clear and obvious error, should’ve stayed with original decision, just like Umpire’s a call in cricket.

Also, if it’s not a pen (I’m on the fence) then Vardy doesn’t have a career - ALL his pens are won in exactly that manner.

This is how I saw it - umpire's call.

It's a 50-50 whether it's given. So if it's been given I don't think there's enough to say it's an obvious error. Likewise if the ref hadn't have given it and had reviewed it I don't think he could have overturned it and given a penalty.

Very, very frustrating.

And you'll see much softer ones given time and again. I might be being a bit bitter but I can't help but feel if it was the other way around it would have stood.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Under the VAR rules according to a ref on BT, VAR can only say to the Ref that you need to check on the monitor to see if the decision is correct; Jake Humphreys said that he heard VAR say that Connolly was looking for the pen or words very similar to that, which is going to put doubt in the mind of the Ref. This shouldn't have happened if the BT ref was correct. Powers to be very much against us today.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Heavily United-biased pundit Rio Ferdinand says it was a penalty.

He knows as a centre half you get wrong side in that position you cannot touch the attacker. Even back in the day Dennis Law would have gone down in that situation. Connolly has the right to stop dead if he wants, there’s enough contact on his back leg where he is impeded from shooting.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Awarded on the field.

Our old mate Hoops leads the witness, Kavanagh, by telling him Connolly initiated the contact.

Kavangh reviews the incident, not getting all angles by all accounts, and reverses his decision.

Penalty or nah?

If that contact happens outside of the box (as it did with Ben White) then it's a foul. So yes, both times should have been a penalty. Ref was a massive bottle!

And why wasn't it a foul on Dunk being held down instead of own goal??

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think Connolly initiates the foul both times. That said there is contact from behind and Connolly is within his rights to do that. There is nothing in the laws that says you cannot get in front of someone and then slow down. Both are pens for me especially Pogba's because he yanks his trailing arm back for good measure. Poor refereeing and if you give the Shaw free kick you have to give both penalty shouts unless you are a biased cheat of course....

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Penalty all day - the fact he gave a free kick against us and yellow to White for exactly the same thing shows that the initial penalty decision was correct

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You could say any top 4 team it would still be a penalty. Ferdinand was adamant that it was saying Pogba was at fault

Pogba pushed his hip against Connolly to unbalance him. Connolly tried to stay upright by leaning to his right, and then Pogba caught his foot.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
What pissed me off most was that for the Connolly one that was overturned, Pogba had initially been booked, yet Fernandes wasn't booked for the penalty he gave away, but it was pretty much the same sort of foul. Fernandes should have been off.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What pissed me off most was that for the Connolly one that was overturned, Pogba had initially been booked, yet Fernandes wasn't booked for the penalty he gave away, but it was pretty much the same sort of foul. Fernandes should have been off.[/QUOTE

Exactly, especially as Kavanagh booked White for being a Brighton player making a tackle on his home town team. I can’t think of any other reason as it was maybe not even a foul.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Exactly, especially as Kavanagh booked White for being a Brighton player making a tackle on his home town team. I can’t think of any other reason as it was maybe not even a foul.

It wasn't even a foul. Shaw just ran across White, miles away from the ball, and fell over. Watch that replay, terrible decision on it's own but with the context of the non penalties, it's a complete disgrace.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
VAR is there to overturn CLEAR AND OBVIOUS errors. There is no way that it is clear and obvious that it isn’t a penalty, therefore it should have stood.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here