Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

conkers bonkers!

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
I thought this was going to be a thread about my time in St Francis Mental Institution.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I was walking the dogs along the banks of the River Severn today when a delightful old lady stopped to tell me that the conkers this year are softer than usual because of disease. Whether true or not (and whether or not one might have fallen on her head prompting her unsolicited advice on the matter) I have no idea but this appears to be the perfect forum through which to share her wisdom.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dont know if it effects the conkers but there has been a disease (or a pest) spreading through the horsecheshnuts for a couple of years. makes their leaves go brown and shed them much earlier than they should.

hastings

Jan 15, 2010
Suffolk
Unbelievable. Living 10 mins from this tree and listening as a radio presenter has spent all morning under this tree, i cannot believe i am now reading it on here. :facepalm:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Some Tory MP was whining about this as well, is that bonkers to put up a temporary sign?

MPs and the BBC have wasted far more public money whinging about it than whoever put up the sign. And it's a sign, they've not banned anything

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
This actually follows an incident in Nottingham from last year. Local Councils are now scared of being sued! The article below was in the Metro and, I believe, The Daily Mail.

Council ‘just bonkers’ after stripping tree of all conkers

All the conkers have been removed from a giant horse chestnut tree after a girl fractured her skull.

They were gathered up after Katie Roden was hit on the head by a branch thrown into the tree by children trying to dislodge conkers.

Katie, five, needed surgery and her parents, Tracey and James, were told she was lucky the 1kg (2lb) branch had not pierced her brain.

But the accident was more than a year ago and Nottingham City Council has now been accused of wasting money.

‘This is absolutely pathetic,’ one resident said in an online forum. ‘I was walking down the road and tripped on a banana skin.

‘I demand the council ban all bananas from our county to make sure I never again have to suffer the pain of a sore bum.’ Another added: ‘This madness must stop. This is why our council tax is so high.’

Mrs Roden, 40, said: ‘Maybe the council is worried that it might be held liable. It’s amazing how they worry 16 whole months after the incident.’ Katie has since recovered.

A council spokesman said they were not killjoys but had decided it was safer to get two employees to pick the conkers and put them on the ground for children to collect. ‘It’s a solution to a particular problem and not something we plan to do anywhere else,’ he added.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I read somewhere that you can make soap from the inside of conkers, I think you have to boil 'em up or something. supposed to be the saponin in them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here