Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Congratulations to the ticket refuseniks.

Some of those were in the away end to be fair. Not a good thing - but a respectable attendance. People were discouraged by the pricing of course, but plenty of people still came. And there were cheap seats in the family area for juniors.

Yes it was respectable but it could have been a lot closer to a sell out with more 'realistic' pricing. I don't think the Club do know their market as otherwise against a Prem team in the first competitive game at the Amex a full or close to full house could have been achieved with lower pricing. They may have made a bit more on ticket sales but more bums on seats would have been a better policy and several thousand people missed out on a cracking game of football. Remember the Club really pushed the sales with frequent updates about how well sales were going when in practice we ended up with the same attendance as against the Gills - something wasn't right somewhere and personaly I hope the club reflect on how to ensure a higher attendance in similar circumstances next time.

Congratulations to the ticket refuseniks.

What about us that couldn't get there? Don't we get any ridicule?

Those that, made the decision not to go for financial reasons, simply couldn't afford it, or other reason exercised their liberty. I'm almost certain the 5500 or so that didn't attend didn't miss you as much. They aren't obligated to attend for your benefit or anyone elses. Perhaps you should have just had small gloat about them having missed a good game.

Still, if we get a home draw for the third round I WILL be sitting in my usual seat despite having missed this one!

Sep 20, 2005
Well done to those people who refused to pay the club's "inflated" prices for the Sunderland game.

You missed a full-strength Albion side playing fantastic football against a virtually full-strength Premier League team and beating them - a great occasion that will go down in club history. Oh, and you would have got an extra 30 minutes for your money.

So congratulations. I hope you're enjoying reading about it all this morning while feeling pleased with yourselves for not contributing to the furnishings at Dick Tight's Spanish villa. Probably not as much fun as it was watching it ...

I desperately wanted to be there last night, but me and my mate only got the okay to go at 4.15pm. I immediately phoned the club but was told ticket sales stopped at 4pm.

I'm sure there's a good reason for this, but I was sick about it.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Yes it was respectable but it could have been a lot closer to a sell out with more 'realistic' pricing. I don't think the Club do know their market as otherwise against a Prem team in the first competitive game at the Amex a full or close to full house could have been achieved with lower pricing. They may have made a bit more on ticket sales but more bums on seats would have been a better policy and several thousand people missed out on a cracking game of football. Remember the Club really pushed the sales with frequent updates about how well sales were going when in practice we ended up with the same attendance as against the Gills - something wasn't right somewhere and personaly I hope the club reflect on how to ensure a higher attendance in similar circumstances next time.

Would they have made more money with a full house selling tickets at half the price ? I do not know. These are early days. I think they know more about ticket pricing than people on NSC - and they will have learnt more from a not full house than a full price having discounted the prices. I think the club will be quite happy - but knowing there is much (as you say) to reflect on.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I desperately wanted to be there last night, but me and my mate only got the okay to go at 4.15pm. I immediately phoned the club but was told ticket sales stopped at 4pm.

I'm sure there's a good reason for this, but I was sick about it.

Exactly the same scenario for me, especially when the Albion website said tickets were on sale til 5pm. :(

However, it seems a lot of people are (deliberately?) missing the point of the first post.

There were people who could pay, could afford it but chose not to, citing liberties being taken by the club. Those were the people I felt the OP was aiming his ridicule at - no-one else.

Last edited:

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
What a smug op. I went but can totally understand why people didn't want to pay over thirty quid to go. Plus it was hardly the legendary albion match you suggest, for one thing the atmosphere In the first half was dreadful.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
As a 1901er I am really fortunate that I didn't have to pay extra for this game. Having read the posts on this thread, I am really upset that there are some true fans who could not afford to attend this match (apologies if this sound condescending but thats not how I feel).

The club really need to look at its ticket pricing and make sure that all true fans can attend matches if they want to as we move forward into a new era. There were 5,000empty seats at last nights match (hopefully soon we will have a stadium capacity of 30,000) and I strongly feel that the club should look at the pricing of the seats in all parts of the ground and ensure there are a good number of seats available at affordable prices for all fans, whatever their financial circumstances

I really hope this club does not sell its soul and just prices for the maximun revenue as is the case for most premiership clubs.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
However, it seems a lot of people are (deliberately?) missing the point of the first post.

There were people who could pay, could afford it but chose not to, citing liberties being taken by the club. Those were the people I felt the OP was aiming his ridicule at - no-one else.

Exactly this.

If you didn't go because you couldn't afford the ticket due to the price being that of a regular ticket. This is not your fight.
The same goes if you couldn't get tickets or had other plans.

The op was having a dig at those '
brighton till I die' fans who refused to pay circa £28 to support their club.
I guess these fans will also not be rushing to get tickets to see most away games this season .i.e west ham etc.

NOTE: I said REFUSED not COULDN'T

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Well done to those people who refused to pay the club's "inflated" prices for the Sunderland game.

You missed a full-strength Albion side playing fantastic football against a virtually full-strength Premier League team and beating them - a great occasion that will go down in club history. Oh, and you would have got an extra 30 minutes for your money.

So congratulations. I hope you're enjoying reading about it all this morning while feeling pleased with yourselves for not contributing to the furnishings at Dick Tight's Spanish villa. Probably not as much fun as it was watching it ...
:wozza:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
sunderland in the league cup or bristol city/leicester away was a pretty simple choice for me to be brutally honest

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think the OP is expressing a round about way of saying 'look at me I was there' ... all a bit childish really. Some of us STHs that don't feel the need to boast about going (or not for that matter) simply cannot do midweek games for whatever reason. Silly thread really.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Where's the limit? If it was £50 a ticket and, say, 9000 fans turned up to see us play Bolton Wanderers - in what turned out to be a great match - would the OP mock the thousands who objected?

If the £50 match was a dreary defeat, would it be okay to mock those who 'wasted their money'?

Honestly. What a load of COCK.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Where's the limit? If it was £50 a ticket and, say, 9000 fans turned up to see us play Bolton Wanderers - in what turned out to be a great match - would the OP mock the thousands who objected?

If the £50 match was a dreary defeat, would it be okay to mock those who 'wasted their money'?

Honestly. What a load of COCK.

this

i hope that when we draw wolves in the next round and the club uses the same pricing strategy only for us to get BATTERED 5-0 that i will be able to start a thread mocking all those who went

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I didn't want to pay £30 but it wasn't just the £30 - it was the beer and pie too (which go together), making it at least £45. I didn't complain. Even if the OP wasn't having a go at me it still comes across as a post by a smug twerp. Must do better. *pats on head*

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
sunderland in the league cup or bristol city/leicester away was a pretty simple choice for me to be brutally honest

I agree, for me it's the league every time but it's a choice we make. But to have a dig at the club for the price. I just dont understand it.

On another note, does the price not have to be agreed by both clubs, seeing as the gate receipts are shared?
gillingham would of been more than happy with reduced ticket prices, as lets be honest not many would pay full price.

I doubt Sunderland would of been as willing.

Last edited:

JCL

Better, Stronger, Faster
Jul 2, 2011
East of Eastbourne
No you didn't, you said:

You didn't give any inclination you didn't mean people who couldn't afford it, you just said "those people who refused to pay the club's "inflated" prices", that pretty much includes everyone who refused, including those who couldn't afford it.

A shithouse
This.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Whether people decide to make a stance over pricing is totally their right, as are those that can't afford, can't make it or those that do go. Everyone is entitled to make their own decisions without some smug arse post telling them the errors of their ways.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
This is a nonsense post.

Yes I was there last night but can easily empathise with those who for whatever reason could not attend, and, given that Saturday past and Saturday next are also home matches, I particularly recognise that not everyone can afford to turn out (as I spent years where I couldn't go for financial reasons).

Fine, end of.

How fantastic that we have so many fans to turn out as we have !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here