Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Congratulations to Karen Murphy (Premier League loses latest battle)

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Within 10 years I can see most football (in fact, most TV) streamed over the 'net legally and in various packages SD-HD on a buy as you watch basis or a season pass to a specific team. You can only get so many in the ground on match day. This may only be financially viable for the Premier League and The Championship. Listening to Johnny Cantor (BBC Sussex commentator) and painting a picture in your mind will seem so archaic!

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Within 10 years I can see most football (in fact, most TV) streamed over the 'net legally and in various packages SD-HD on a buy as you watch basis or a season pass to a specific team. You can only get so many in the ground on match day. This may only be financially viable for the Premier League and The Championship. Listening to Johnny Cantor (BBC Sussex commentator) and painting a picture in your mind will seem so archaic!

I think Sky are introducing pay as you go streaming in a month or two, no need to have a Sky subscription. Big first step. Also this is how it works in the US with NBA and MLB I believe. They even have pretty good iPad apps that let you stream to it.

If, at the end of the day, the Premier League Clubs lose out and broadcasting fees drop, that will be a GOOD thing, since all that most Premier League Clubs have EVER done with the Sky money has been to allow players' wages and agents' fees to escalate to ridiculous levels. The end beneficiaries have been insolvency practitioners, Ferrari dealers and estate agents, not football clubs or fans.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This has seriously backfired on Sky.

It hasn't - they will protect their rights in other ways as expressed above. Not sure SKY really have the problem to be honest, it's the Premier League. The bulk of their income comes from home subscribers and they are LOADED.

Far from being a defender, traditional broadcasters shouldn't take their eye off the ball. They are pumping millions into quality Drama and Arts, Sky Arts in particular.

It's going to be increasingly difficult to defend the license fee - whether you agree with it or not, since Sky are effectively producing public service broadcasting off the back of sports subscriptions.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

We are quite behind in this country in this respect, possibly that historically we didn't have a national cable network. Small enough to be done all by local transmitters and then we went dish crazy. Video on Demand services are becoming all the rage over Europe, but not to the PC - straight into your TV via a box.

"Over the net", well yes - but in a few years (not ten) you will routinely plug your TV into the broadband. I can do with mine now (had IPlayer built in) but haven't got round to it.

SKY will have to change because you haven't got a backwards path with a dish, it's very old fashioned technology.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Sky won't take this lying down.

There's plenty they can do to ensure their revenue doesn't slip - charging more to the Greek providers, for one.

They could just buy Greece and copyright the country, whilst saving a population from bankruptcy to boot.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If, at the end of the day, the Premier League Clubs lose out and broadcasting fees drop, that will be a GOOD thing, since all that most Premier League Clubs have EVER done with the Sky money has been to allow players' wages and agents' fees to escalate to ridiculous levels. The end beneficiaries have been insolvency practitioners, Ferrari dealers and estate agents, not football clubs or fans.

Unfortunately I can't see it happening because the world wide demand for the Premier League is huge and hasn't really been tapped into.

Unfortunately the "full potential" only surrounds a few high profile clubs.

Lost count of the times I've posted it, but Manchester United, Arsenal. Liverpool and possibly Chelsea can make more money over a few games than the whole season if they sold their own rights.

That's the nightmare scenario.

Imagine how much money Manchester United could make if they sold their live games over the internet for- let's say £3.99 ? It's the Scottish League inequality X 1000.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here