Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Congratulations to Cowdenbeath

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Yeah, The Beath have got the Shire in the Play-Off Semis . I didn't realise they ground shared with the Stens.

I quite like it.

Me too.

For instance, the idea of Norwich v Millwall and Leeds v MK Dons for the play-off semis strikes me as a good one. Essentially, the 3rd, 4th and 5th-best teams in League One have to prove themselves better than the 3rd-worst Championship side to justify their promotion. Similarly, I quite like the idea of Newcastle (for instance - should they finish in their current place) being forced to fight for their position in the Premiership with Sheffield Utd, Reading and Burnley.

It particularly makes sense in a league in which there are only 10 teams in each division. On the one hand, it means that almost every side has something to fight for, right up to the end of the season. Secondly, it prevents too much change - if it was a straight two-up, two-down, then almost a half of the division would change every year. If it was one-up, one-down, very few teams would have anything to fight for in the last few weeks. If it was one-up, positions 2-5 into straight promotion play-offs, then the entire top half (minus the champions) would be playing for promotion, which is a bit silly.

The system used is a nice compromise, and also adds that (to my mind) excellent element of 'prove yourself' to the wannabes.

What's not to like?

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
Is that the same Cowdenbeath who were 10 points clear about 8 weeks ago (when i backed them heavily with stan james at what appeared to be a ludicrously generous 5/6) before BLOWING UP horrendously....

the blue brazil, my arse!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here