Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Congratulations & other stuff...

Mickey Pearce's Hat

Apr 14, 2011
As a Brighton based Millwall fan I would like to first say congratulations on promotion. Nobody deserves a day in the sun more than Albion fans.

I teach in Brighton and have hopefully converted a number of local kids to support the club, or at least given them the inclination to think about it. I was always asked 'Why do you support Millwall, they're rubbish?' To which my simple reply was 'That maybe so, but they're my local side. That's why you should get down & support the Seagulls. It's a much more rewarding experience than supporting Liverpool or Manchester United, even if they are sometimes rubbish. The good times are more personal, it means much more'.

Anyways, the diehards that had to put up with travelling to Gillingham, of all places, and the Withdean will be very much rewarded at the new stadium, it looks fantastic.

I think Brighton & Hove Albion will do very well next season. I predicted them to win League One & I think they'll finish top half next season. Maybe even flirt with the play-offs. What I've noticed about the Championship that marks it from League One is:

1) Tactics are very important here. We're lucky in that we have in Jackett an exceptional tactician. He has out-thought many managers at this level, despite having pretty much the same team we got promoted with.

2) The additions we have made were very much needed: A powerful & quick ball playing defensive midfield in Tam Mkandawire and players that can create chances in tight games against packed midfields; Bouazza and Townsend.

This is because Championship teams are big. I mean huge. The midfielders are very powerful & athletic. And teams will come to you with packed midfields that need breaking down & chances are tight.

However, I am sure Brighton will do well, ourselves, Leeds United and Norwich City all have. No reason why Albion cannot follow that. There are some real mediocore teams in here; however, nearly all have one very good player than can turn a game, hence the fact that results are so unpredictable in this division. Even Palace, who have struggled, have much better players than we faced in League One, over 10 games they would still come out on top v say the much hyped Southampton.

A couple of questions/points..

What away allocation is there? Obviously everyone will want to go to this. I think we could bring 5,000 easy if allowed. However, I heard it was a more conservative 2,500 odd.

RE: Thread about Glenn Murray.

I am sure Jackett would be interested in him, as he is on a free. Who wouldn't be? However, I doubt he would leave you for us. Maybe, someone like Derby County, Leicester City, Ipswich Town might tempt him? Who knows.

Anyways...just to clear up some misconceptions on that Glen Murray thread, as some were quite amusing, or just plain wrong. If at all you are interested (some may not be, so forget this part of the post...)

Our chairman is John Berylson. He is from one of the wealthiest families in America. However, he's personal wealth is not huge. Our finaces rest with his involvement with Chestnut Hill Ventures. Via them Berylson has basically written off the debts we acquire every season.

Whilst we are not wealthy in a Blackburn under Jack Walker sense, he has said any amount of money is available for transfers (the club bid £2m for Charlie Austin) and wages (Morison is now on £12k a week). However, he & Kenny Jackett do not want us to spend millions on players & break wage structures for quick progress. He wants Millwall FC built on strong foundations.

The club is very lucky at the moment in the fact it can start with a clear balance sheet every season. For a small club like us this is vital in competing with the likes of Leeds, Derby etc..

The long-term aim is to make the club self-funding. One poster baulked at the idea of Millwall's Sports Village. However, if he knew personally of the transformation of parts of Bermondsey he wouldn't be so quick to mock. Chestnut Hill hope to secure planning permission to turn the commercial sites around the stadium into housing of over 3,500 houses/apartments. This includes the industrial estates on Surrey Canal Road and the land adjacent to South Bermondsey station (currently occupied by travellers). Furthermore, the ground will be redesigned to incorporate leisure facilities, as well as fill in the corners.

Bermondsey is close to the city and is under transformation into a vibrant place to live (see Bermondsey Village). Hopefully, with the building of a new tube station on Surrey Canal Road (next to the ground) will only further increase the areas prospects. All of which will benefit the club.

At the moment Millwall are averaging 13,000 a game, with highs of 17,000 (Leeds & Palace) and a low of 9,000 V Scunthorpe on Sky. This is small by Championship standards. We need to find ways of increasing the matchday support, and of securing outside revenue (Millwall Sports Village).

Having up to 10,000 new residents literally next to the ground, place a tube station & rental revenue from the Leisure & shop facilities this will help us compete at the top end of the Championship.

Sorry, for tagging that on, but, some were speculating a lot on the other thread.

Anyways, see you next season! Can't wait.

Last edited:

john baldock

Feb 18, 2009
gloucester
A nice Millwall fan there is life at the new den nice one fella ! the away end is only 2.500 at least you get a good view though !! glen murrey has been linked with cp cant bring my self to mention or type their name

Mickey Pearce's Hat

Apr 14, 2011
A nice Millwall fan there is life at the new den nice one fella ! the away end is only 2.500 at least you get a good view though !! glen murrey has been linked with cp cant bring my self to mention or type their name

I nearly said the Nigels might try & get him. Type of player they need. Hopefully not, aye.

Yes, the view will be much better...then again, it could be any worse. The 6,000 or so that kept going really do need medals. You lot derserve every success after the last 15 years. Funny enough, I taught at a school very near to the old Goldstone ground.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Wow.

Probably THE best post from an opposition fan ever!

john baldock

Feb 18, 2009
gloucester
if he goes so be it but to them shit bags bloody hell !!!!!!!!!! no more soakings and drying of on the train back to gloss and the Goldstone still a bit raw with me cant speak for the rest but move onwards and upwards.

Mickey Pearce's Hat

Apr 14, 2011
As an aside...any of you wise (not old) enough to remember Millwall v Brighton in 1976.

My uncle was going on about it on Saturday. As the atmosphere & April sunshine, plus the dynamics of the game, us chasing them down v Leeds United reminded him of that day.

It was the 16th April 1976, Easter holidays. At the start of the game we were 4th in the Old Third Division, you were 3rd. It was the famous season we came from no where to over take Palace, who were much hyped & even got to the FA Cup Semi-Finals. But, who slumped to 5th, after leading for much of the season. Indeed, when we played Palace just before xmas we were 15th & they were clear at the top. We'd been mid-table right into March. I think this was the season that really ignited the Palace & Brighton rivarly.

Anyways, we had lost at the Goldstone at the start of Februry to a Binney goal, in front of 15,332 mostly happy fans. All of whom probably thought it was the Seagulls who were destined for promotion, not the Lions.

Yet, fast forward to a balmy Easter day down at an uncharactistically sunny Cold Blow Lane , where over 23,000 assembled to see if the Lions could overhaul the Seagulls. Binney scored again for Albion, but in reply for the Lions so did Lee, Seasman and Brisley in a 3-1 win. According to my uncle thousands of Albion fans made their way up to the game (putting the few hundred that Palace mustered earlier in the season whilst top to shame)...one young Seagull even brought a drum, creating a continental type atmosphere to the traditionally proud working class Den home of Millwall.

So, Millwall went 3rd and secured promotion with a win at Swindon, where 7,000 Lions made up the 13,000 crowd, and a fiurther 4,000 or so Millwall fans went to cheer on a surprised Chester City to a draw at Selhurst Park. Saving themselves from relegation & preventing Palace from promotion. Brighton finished 4th, 3 points behind the Lions and above the Eagles by 0.14 of a goal.

Any memories of this season/game(s)?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Nice opening post, MPH.

Looking forward to going to Millwall next season - you're not scary any more - it means a nice night out in London.

Remember having a properly pleasant day in London back in October; we'd just beaten Charlton 4-0, and you turned Palace over. Had a natter with a few Millwall fans at The King's Head near London Bridge that evening, and they were all keen to know about Falmer and stuff.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Great post... Am looking forward to going to Millwall again next season and love the New Den. But I really do need to find a way to avoid being locked in the cage for an hour next season.

I'm always surprised how few we take up there, compared to say Orient, as it's a nice ground and very easy to get to.

Mickey Pearce's Hat

Apr 14, 2011
Yeah, despite Brighton having quite an active 'firm', Millwall v Brighton has always been a relatively peaceful match. I guess the fact you despise the spotty nigels warms us to you.

Indeed, I can't think of many over city clubs, ie not yokels from the likes of Yeovil etc, getting away from The Old Den after humiliating us without too much bother. Certainly when you think that Derby County & Birmingham City fans were hunted down like dogs and full scale riots ensued after they beat us in the Play-offs.

I certainly always hope Brighton do well. I am also very happy it will be a great away day again; rather than a test of endurance. Will certainly be the fixture I look out for (after West Ham hopefully).

Mickey Pearce's Hat

Apr 14, 2011
Great post... Am looking forward to going to Millwall again next season and love the New Den. But I really do need to find a way to avoid being locked in the cage for an hour next season.

I'm always surprised how few we take up there, compared to say Orient, as it's a nice ground and very easy to get to.

No one brings any to The Den. Even in the Championship the average away team bring about 600 odd. If we got away teams bringing the amount of fans they take to other London fixtures our average gate would be nearer 15,000.

I've been to Millwall v Palace/Charlton games were both have brought less than 1,000 fans.

Strange really. We are the easiest club to get (with Arsenal) from central London and it's very safe these days. The hooligans have been driven to very organised 'meets' with likeminded individuals away from the ground.

To avoid the cage. Tricky if you come by Train. You could say you are meeting a Millwall mate and they might let you slip put at the away end onto Zampa Road. The only other way is to drive & park up. Takes me about an hour and ten minutes from Brighton with normal traffic. M23-M25-A2, rather than into London.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I live very near Bermondsey and I have to say, the place is most definitely on the up. I love this area of London.

Mickey Pearce's Hat

Apr 14, 2011
I live very near Bermondsey and I have to say, the place is most definitely on the up. I love this area of London.

People will be surpised. I'm looking to move back for this September. Rotherhithe/Bermondsey way is great. Nice mix of old London working class community, ie us Millwall fans, the trendy bits such as Bermondsey Village, a healthy amount of immigrant communitites adding colour and a nice small town atmosphere combined with being very central in the greatest city in the World.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
People will be surpised. I'm looking to move back for this September. Rotherhithe/Bermondsey way is great. Nice mix of old London working class community, ie us Millwall fans, the trendy bits such as Bermondsey Village, a healthy amount of immigrant communitites adding colour and a nice small town atmosphere combined with being very central in the greatest city in the World.

Yep. I live between London Bridge and Bermondsey. I don't often travel east, but I love knocking about in Bermondsey Street, some great bars and cafes. My local is a Millwall pub. Whilst not exactly the nicest of pubs it has a certain charm about it! And the people there are generally pretty friendly.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

In fairness I think we pretty much average 1000 or so at Millwall these days. In recent years it has been one of our favourite awaydays. Looking forward to it being back on schedule for next year.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
To avoid the cage. Tricky if you come by Train. You could say you are meeting a Millwall mate and they might let you slip put at the away end onto Zampa Road. The only other way is to drive & park up. Takes me about an hour and ten minutes from Brighton with normal traffic. M23-M25-A2, rather than into London.

I suppose I could just say I drove but then walk to the station. It worked fine the other year on boxing day when the station was shut so I don't really see what the problem is :shrug:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
What's the capacity of the upper tier, I thought it was only about 2.500?

I agree more should go. It is not an unsafe game, but the atmosphere is still always very raucous and you are just a short train ride away from some of the finest pubs and eateries in central london.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
What chance Millwall will be the first home game at the Amex?

One of the stand out matches I recall from the late 70's was the opener at The Goldstone in Aug 1977/78 against Millwall. Great expectations going into this season but the omens were not good with a thunderstorm that drenched a big Bank Holiday crowd just before kick off and seemed to affect the Seagulls who had a poor first half, going in 0-2 at half time. I seem to recall Barry Kitchener kicking lumps out of Wardy etc and nothing going right.

Mullery must have pressed the right buttons because a totally different Albion came out for the second half. Ward got an early goal back and in a rousing performance came back to win 3-2, which set the tone for a cracking season thereafter.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
No one brings any to The Den. Even in the Championship the average away team bring about 600 odd. If we got away teams bringing the amount of fans they take to other London fixtures our average gate would be nearer 15,000.

I've been to Millwall v Palace/Charlton games were both have brought less than 1,000 fans.

Strange really. We are the easiest club to get (with Arsenal) from central London and it's very safe these days. The hooligans have been driven to very organised 'meets' with likeminded individuals away from the ground.

I always get off at New Cross and walk the 15mins or so to the ground. I live in Croydon so after the game I just hang lefft on vacating ths tand and mingle with the locals walking back to New Cross. i must say they are still quite unpleasant no matter what you say mate.

I was at the game in 76 - not a very nice experience.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
As an aside...any of you wise (not old) enough to remember Millwall v Brighton in 1976.

My uncle was going on about it on Saturday. As the atmosphere & April sunshine, plus the dynamics of the game, us chasing them down v Leeds United reminded him of that day.

It was the 16th April 1976, Easter holidays. At the start of the game we were 4th in the Old Third Division, you were 3rd. It was the famous season we came from no where to over take Palace, who were much hyped & even got to the FA Cup Semi-Finals. But, who slumped to 5th, after leading for much of the season. Indeed, when we played Palace just before xmas we were 15th & they were clear at the top. We'd been mid-table right into March. I think this was the season that really ignited the Palace & Brighton rivarly.

Anyways, we had lost at the Goldstone at the start of Februry to a Binney goal, in front of 15,332 mostly happy fans. All of whom probably thought it was the Seagulls who were destined for promotion, not the Lions.

Yet, fast forward to a balmy Easter day down at an uncharactistically sunny Cold Blow Lane , where over 23,000 assembled to see if the Lions could overhaul the Seagulls. Binney scored again for Albion, but in reply for the Lions so did Lee, Seasman and Brisley in a 3-1 win. According to my uncle thousands of Albion fans made their way up to the game (putting the few hundred that Palace mustered earlier in the season whilst top to shame)...one young Seagull even brought a drum, creating a continental type atmosphere to the traditionally proud working class Den home of Millwall.

So, Millwall went 3rd and secured promotion with a win at Swindon, where 7,000 Lions made up the 13,000 crowd, and a fiurther 4,000 or so Millwall fans went to cheer on a surprised Chester City to a draw at Selhurst Park. Saving themselves from relegation & preventing Palace from promotion. Brighton finished 4th, 3 points behind the Lions and above the Eagles by 0.14 of a goal.

Any memories of this season/game(s)?

I also remember the following season after we were promoted. At the Goldstone very early in the season, may have even been the first game, Millwall went 2 up before we came back to win 3-2.
Old (not wise) memory sometimes errors these days, so could have that wrong

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here