Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Concerts at the Amex

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
I did a quick search but couldn't see anything. Has the once trumpeted idea of having gigs at the Amex died now?. Fatboy was ace, Rod wasn't my thing at all but don't think we've had anything for a long while. Boxing was also mooted I recall. Has this been ditched as being too expensive to host or damaging to the pitch ?.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The previous gigs have been lousy on the transport front. Southern actually stopped serving Falmer station for the Fatboy gigs. Unviable as a gig venue.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I asked on nsc a while back. Someone said the hours restrictions (from Falmer villagers pressure originally), also transport, made it untenable for artists.
The previous gigs have been lousy on the transport front. Southern actually stopped serving Falmer station for the Fatboy gigs. Unviable as a gig venue.
Yet we are told by some on here that the trains are fine. :facepalm:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Amex isn’t viable for the reasons stated plus there’s hardly any time to stage such an event.
From the other side, why would a big band, star, event, etc want to come to Brighton when O2, etc are just up the road?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Amex isn’t viable for the reasons stated plus there’s hardly any time to stage such an event.
From the other side, why would a big band, star, event, etc want to come to Brighton when O2, etc are just up the road?
This! At the end of May I saw Bruce Dickinson play a solo gig in London. Prior to the show Iron Maiden's manager Rod Smallwood was mingling in the pub with fans. Now bear in mind he lives on Hove seafront too. I politely enquired any chance of Maiden playing at the Amex? In his typical gruff Yorkshire accent his response was " not a bloody chance logistics all wrong ".

Whatever your musical taste those issues will persist :(

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Unfortunately the transport issues mean that a big gig is just not feasible.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There is a market for gigs of this size though, the cricket ground has staged many.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Yet we are told by some on here that the trains are fine. :facepalm:
Very different for football where the club provides the stewarding. I suppose a lot of promoters don't want to get involved. It's a shame. Wasn't there a story at the time too that Rod Stewart thought the acoustics were lousy for a concert. It's very echoey, so could well be true. Didn't take the fun out of the Fatboy gigs though.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Very different for football where the club provides the stewarding. I suppose a lot of promoters don't want to get involved. It's a shame. Wasn't there a story at the time too that Rod Stewart thought the acoustics were lousy for a concert. It's very echoey, so could well be true. Didn't take the fun out of the Fatboy gigs though.
No amount of extra stewarding would improve the train service. It is my opinion that, at least travelling from the east and back again, is very poor.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
No amount of extra stewarding would improve the train service. It is my opinion that, at least travelling from the east and back again, is very poor.
For the concerts, stewarding was irrelevant. They decided to shut the station because there'd be too many people. Go figure. You'd have thought making provision to transport lots of people is the whole point of the service. Personally, find the trains a bit of a ball-ache after games but not too bad if I hang around for a pint. Plenty of grounds have similar issues.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
For the concerts, stewarding was irrelevant. They decided to shut the station because there'd be too many people. Go figure. You'd have thought making provision to transport lots of people is the whole point of the service. Personally, find the trains a bit of a ball-ache after games but not too bad if I hang around for a pint. Plenty of grounds have similar issues.
I agree hang around for a pint is the best option, but I had some rubbish experiences leaving 2 hours before kick off at Eastbourne and only just about making the match and ending up on trains that friends took an hour later but arriving the same time. Not going to do that any longer.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
‘Safety reasons’. They usually shut Preston Park for the morning on Marathon day 🙄🙄

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
There is a market for gigs of this size though, the cricket ground has staged many.
Not saying there isn’t a market for big gigs down here but places like the O2 are set up to run events on consecutive nights with parking, trains, etc.
Hove (station) and surrounding area is very different to Falmer (station)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Guaranteed decent number of carriages would improve the service immeasurably. Especially after evening games. Pretty galling to see half-empty eight carriage trains going out to the sticks while Brighton-bound trains consist of three carriage cattle trucks. Not Stephensons Rocket science to sort that one out shirley? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here