Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Computer/Wireless help

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Hello all ye computer techno's.

Ive just got my BT Broadband/wireless hub thingy delivered yesterday after years of frustrating Diap-Up:tosser:

I had a mate round to plug it all in and swithch it on as i realy am terribly useless at computer stuff is.

He left me and told me to put the CD (that came in the box) into my computer in about half an hour and follow the on screen prompts.

I did this and it wasnt difficult,but when it got to the bit where it did a search for a wireless connection it says it couldnt find one and that i'd have to use a cable.

As im very inpatient i set it up with a cable which was also easy enough for me to do.Im now pissed off and want to set it up properly for wireless.I know my laptop has wireless coz when i lived next door to my mate i used to tap in to his wireless as he gave me the key code.

I have a Sony Vaio laptop with the wireless/bluetooth switch on the front.It is swithched on,HOWEVER-the little indicator light on the swith used to be green when the wireless was enabled,now its just Blue (indicating just the Bluetooth is enabled).

So my question to everyone is.....How do i connect my laptop up to the HUB thingy wireless????????????

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I had this with Juniors key on his laptop - have you tried the settings as they could be bluetooth, wireless or nothing.

His wireless button was switched off so just pressed it and on it came

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
*steps to one side and awaits arrival of Tom Hark, Preston Park*

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I had this with Juniors key on his laptop - have you tried the settings as they could be bluetooth, wireless or nothing.

His wireless button was switched off so just pressed it and on it came

Yes the button is on.

Do you mean the settings on the laptop or the wireless box? As far as i can see the wireless box doesnt have any settings.Its either plugged in and on,or off.

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
I dont know what a "wireless monitor icon" looks like.

Also...what is a task bar?

It's the bar at the bottom of your screen, should have little icons on it (Prob right hand side) one of which will look like a small tv with a radio signal on right hand side

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
vaio_tx3_01_c.jpg

Is the switch on? Right at the front (see above).

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
have you got your cable connected to the pc at one end and the hub at the other? If so, unplug the cable and wait for a minute. Go to start - connect to and you should see your home network come up on the list of wireless connections.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Yes the wireless switch is deffiantly On,but the light is only showing blue and not green.Blue indicates bluetooth is on,green is for wireless.
When i used to hook up to my mates wireless the light on the switch always used to be green to indicate the wireless was on.

now it only shows blue,but i havent a clue how else to get the wireless on.

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
Yes the wireless switch is deffiantly On,but the light is only showing blue and not green.Blue indicates bluetooth is on,green is for wireless.
When i used to hook up to my mates wireless the light on the switch always used to be green to indicate the wireless was on.

now it only shows blue,but i havent a clue how else to get the wireless on.

If you have windows xp, go to 'Start'/Connect to/ wireless connection

If you have the icon in the taskbar, right click, then view wireless connections, then connect to your bt hub

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here