Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Computer Progamming Languages

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
She got about didn't she.
Cheeky. Did she like it? Did it effect her singing?
No, but it's why she stood up when she played the piano.

Started out with some self-taught basic in my teens and learnt Pascal then a whole load of other languages at uni, including fortran, prolog, lisp and C++. Do remember complaining to a tutor about not learning cobol (this was the mid 80s) and was told that if you can program in pascal you can program in anything.

D

Deleted member 22389

Not a traditional language as such, but I'm fascinated with XLST.

Not so much it's ability to transform XML into XML, but's it ability to transform XML into anything.

I also love databases.

So for my masters final project, I decided to transform an XML into SQL.

Why ? Well you can keep the XML quite simple - but transform into complex SQL. Particularly so SQL can incorporate fuzzy logic.

I can read most code (c++, c#, java etc..), but don't develop. Was never really any good at it. Still having to bang away with VBA as much as I hate it.

I do read about languages though. Currently reading a C# book.

Database queries are an art. When I was working with an American company, the marketing department required all sorts of stats from the UK site.
Unfortunately the website did not have the facility for such reporting, so I ran the queries directly on the database.

I surprised myself with how much I actually learned. I was running the queries on MySQL. In the end of it I become quite proficient. I actually enjoyed some of the reporting they asked me to do. Sometimes it looked impossible, but I managed to pull it off.

They had another guy in the states who's only job was to look after their database. Some of the queries he sent me, where way above anything I had ever done or seen.

I do remember the IT manager in the UK trying to export a 2GB database via PHPMyAdmin. I did say to him to export via the terminal. He ended up locking the database tables, killed the whole site. In the end MySQL needed a complete restart lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Anyone dipped into Scala? I'm no techy but some that I know rave about it...

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Not seen it yet but if you're looking to learn an IT coding language my recommendation would be PL-SQL and look to move into the DBA-type role.
I've been in IT 20+ years, started as a DOS coder using DBASE [Clipper], then PowerBuilder when Windows came along.
Moved up through Business Analyst, Test Manager, Project Manager, etc.
The one thing that has been most static has been SQL - languages come and go, but solid RDBMS will stand you the test of time.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Database queries are an art.

Love doing them, do them every day.

Usually on something grown up like SQL Server, but today I was buggering about with Access. Pulled in a few "flat reports" and used a quite complicated query to do the job.

Point being - would have been VERY complicated with Excel.

I've got my own SQL server just for working out problems. Throw some data in and delete it after use.

Queries are maths rather than art (although as you say, some are quite beautiful :) )

SQL is based on relational algebra.

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I have to maintain a VB6 app in work, and some VBA horrors that are slowly being replaced as customers can be convinced that they won't be able to buy Access 2000 licences forever.

Shoot me, shoot me now.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I have to maintain a VB6 app in work, and some VBA horrors that are slowly being replaced as customers can be convinced that they won't be able to buy Access 2000 licences forever.

Shoot me, shoot me now.

I am so sorry for you. I've seen some horrors. Before I got properly educated I used to write them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here