Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Computer help, please

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I,m in Florida at the moment and want to install a web-cam on my daughters computer. Have bought a web-cam and went to install.....but it says I need Windows XP service pack 2, and this computer has Windows XP service Pack 1. I know virtually nothing about computers.....do I need to buy a Windows XP SP 2 or can you download them for free.....or can you buy web-cams that will install on Windows XP SP 1....?
Any help would be appreciated.........nothing too technical please...

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Go to Microsoft.com and run their software update thingamybob.

IT will be free, but the IT bods on here will tell you not to download it.

Failing that do a google search for the webcam your trying to install and look for a driver that is compatible with it.

Realistically thats all its asking for and it knows that XP SP2 has the correct driver.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
you can download it from Microsoft's page....but be careful, sometimes it buggers about with your broadband settings. Something to do with Microsoft's firewall, or something like that.

Anyway....download it.

then switch it off and on again.

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
sten_super said:
If you are connected to the internet at home, go to www.windowsupdate.com and let it scan your machine, etc. It will then tell you that it needs to download and install Service Pack 2. Let it do this, and viola, you will be sorted. If, on the other hand, you don't have internet at home, go to http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx and follow the instructions and they will send you a cd with it on.

unless you have a dodgy copy of xp

??? ??? ???

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
thankyou everyone for your replies....am going to try a couple of the suggestions....if i,m never to be seen again due to computer crashing......farewell, adieu....it was great knowing you all

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
sten_super said:
If you are connected to the internet at home, go to www.windowsupdate.com and let it scan your machine, etc. It will then tell you that it needs to download and install Service Pack 2. Let it do this, and viola, you will be sorted. If, on the other hand, you don't have internet at home

then he probably wouldnt have bought a WEBcam
:lolol:
unless he really does no nothing about computers :jester:

Last edited:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I,m back again....tried the suggestions.....solved the problem. It was very easy in the end....

1) Buy new computer

2) Buy new monitor

3) Buy new software

4) Pay to have it installed and set-up

5) Upgrade to broadband

Total cost.....1793 dollars ....:down: :down: :down: :down:

Still, one happy daughter who can now wave to me on web-cam when I get back to the UK.

ps; Beach Hut....if you see Mrs. CJD, don,t mention the cost...!!

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
cjd said:
I,m back again....tried the suggestions.....solved the problem. It was very easy in the end....

1) Buy new computer

2) Buy new monitor

3) Buy new software

5) Upgrade to broadband

Still, one happy daughter who can now wave to me on web-cam when I get back to the UK.

Mums the word

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
cjd said:

1) Buy new computer

2) Buy new monitor

3) Buy new software

5) Upgrade to broadband

Perrrrrrlease tell me thats a joke.

Otherwise that has got to be the funniest thing I've read on here in a long long time :lolol:

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Works out at about £800 for a brand new set-up that will sort you for a good few years...I'd swap my battered Windows 98 SE for that any day!!

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Rangdo said:
Perrrrrrlease tell me thats a joke.

Otherwise that has got to be the funniest thing I've read on here in a long long time :lolol:

Unfortunately not.......I,ll be the one at the Withdean tomorrow (subject to no flight delays)...with a begging bowl, and not even the shirt on my back left... :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
cjd said:
Unfortunately not.......I,ll be the one at the Withdean tomorrow (subject to no flight delays)...with a begging bowl, and not even the shirt on my back left... :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

You should bring the old one home and use it to sit on. At least then you could tout your ticket to recoup some of the costs. Admittedly 50p isn't going to make much of a dent in the best part of $1800 :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here