Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Compute Help!

Hydro Driven

Nov 1, 2004
Brighton
Computer Help!

Hi,
I was wondering what is better to buy if I want to make my PC quicker, ecspecially for games like FM. Should I get RAM or more Processing Speed?

At the moment this is my PC spec;

-256mb RAM
-40gb Hard Drive
-325 Intel Celeron D Processor
-Windows XP Professional

Any advice given would be extremely helpful.

P.s. Anyone know the kinds of prices for RAM etc.?

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
switch it off and on again

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Hydro Driven said:
Hi,
I was wondering what is better to buy if I want to make my PC quicker, ecspecially for games like FM. Should I get RAM or more Processing Speed?

At the moment this is my PC spec;

-256mb RAM
-40gb Hard Drive
-325 Intel Celeron D Processor
-Windows XP Professional

Any advice given would be extremely helpful.

P.s. Anyone know the kinds of prices for RAM etc.?

Thanks!!!

Get both. They'll both make a difference and it's all so cheap nowadays. I haven't checked but I should think you can get a gig of RAM for 60-100 notes and a decent AMD processor for 100.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Re: Re: Compute Help!

Rangdo said:
Get both. They'll both make a difference and it's all so cheap nowadays. I haven't checked but I should think you can get a gig of RAM for 60-100 notes and a decent AMD processor for 100.

AMD processors are incompatible physically and electrically with Intel ones - he has an Intel one. Not a possible upgrade.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Re: Re: Re: Compute Help!

MYOB said:
AMD processors are incompatible physically and electrically with Intel ones - he has an Intel one. Not a possible upgrade.

I didn't read it that closely I just pressed the quote button but he could probably get a new mobo and AMD processor cheaper than an equivalent Intel.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Re: Re: Re: Re: Compute Help!

Rangdo said:
I didn't read it that closely I just pressed the quote button but he could probably get a new mobo and AMD processor cheaper than an equivalent Intel.

These days you'd be surprised. Although not so much at the low (Sempron) end. At the high end faster Intels are significantly cheaper than AMD.

Hydro Driven

Nov 1, 2004
Brighton
RAM.jpg

How does this look? Its cheap and would double my RAM, but is it compatable?

Thanks again!

Sorry about the link, but cannot make the image actually on the post!

bobbyzam

Jul 5, 2006
London
http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/

If you run the scanner it will tell what memory is compatible with your motherboard, and how many vacant slots you have available.

I would suggest upgrading your processor as well, perhaps find out what the best processor your motherboard will take. It will be a reasonably old one I would imagine, based on the currently installed one. Therefore will not be that expensive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here