Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Compression Freeware

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I need to compress some quicktime files to send by e-mail, does anyone know of any free software that would do this for me?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Search your PC if it runs Windows OS then you should have Winzip

No. Winzip is *not* part of Windows, its third party software made by Corel. And it costs money now.

7zip is free.

But none of these are any use for compressing videos - videos are already as compressed as their codec will allow. You need to re-encode teh video with a newer/better codec - the programme you made it in will let you do this. email is not a suitable format for sending large files either....

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
So MYOB, darling, what do you suggest?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
No. Winzip is *not* part of Windows, its third party software made by Corel. And it costs money now.

7zip is free.

But none of these are any use for compressing videos - videos are already as compressed as their codec will allow. You need to re-encode teh video with a newer/better codec - the programme you made it in will let you do this. email is not a suitable format for sending large files either....

But if you download the trial version which lasts 30 days then that should be fine,Can't you send it through messenger?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Any form of file transfer programme is unsuited for sending very large files - FTP uploading it to a server is the only choice.

Les - there should be an option in the Export menu that lets you cut down the size and bitrate considerably. Use h264 compression, not the older Sorenson QuickTime codecs and that'll shave loads off too.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
If you used final cut HD (I presume on a mac) then you'll have to notch the quality down in that and re-encode it.

Zipping up quicktime files will shave maybe 1-2K off them.

Oh, and a mac comes with a built in archiver, just highlight the files, cntrl+click and 'Add to Archive'

AlbionKebabs

Sep 23, 2005
Hove innit, you mug.
I need to compress some quicktime files to send by e-mail, does anyone know of any free software that would do this for me?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

In FCP, export Using Quicktime Conversion and choose your conversion qualities and codec here. Otherwise go through Compressor if you've got the full FC Studio.

For free software, the best and easiest to use is called MPEG Streamclip. Hope that helps!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here