Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Completely RANDOM things about Brighton & Hove...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I have a very vague recolection of this!

Found the picture...

You mean the ones on the right of this picture?

6013474475e0e8cb3ef.jpg

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
1963 The Blue Gardenia Club: Club owner Harvey Holford was found guilty of manslaughter after shooting and killing his wife. Shortly after Holford's conviction, lights in the building would turn themselves on and off and kitchen utensils moved themselves around the room. The poltergeist left after a medium visited the club.

Does anyone know what else this club was called?

Can't find any info online.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Wisky a Go Go in the basement! :eek:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Was the Butcher on the corner of Robertson Road, Hampstead Road?

Great place for a store there! Some kind of private palce just full of junk at the moment!

The Greengrocer must be where Matlock Stores is now, next to the Post office

Do your remember Tivoli Stores on the corner of Tivoli Road / The Drove? Until recently BTR brakes (ironic for the Drove) now disused. The council told me I had no chance of getting a alcohol licence for it , great location for that type of thing.

From memory, it was on the corner of Kingsley Road/Roberston Road.

The Greengrocers was either the old Abacus or the Pharmacy, I forget which.

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you.

Do you mean Tivoli Crescent?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
George Brown (not the politician) hitting 160 mph along Madeira Drive on his Vincent-powered Super Nero from a standing start during the Speed Trials. We'd eat meat pies from the shop in St James's Street - maybe the one Lord B recalls - and then take the Bonnevilles and Trophies and Dominators and Thruxtons back to Mid-Sussex at appalling speeds. Super Nero had that effect on us, just like coming home from Brands.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The house we once lived in off Lewes Road was formerly a tallow-makers - rendering animal carcasses and fat into candles and soap. I used to imagine as a very small child that I could still smell the stench in the attic bedroom even though the business had ceased more than 30 years earlier.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
The Embassy Cinema in Western Road. In the early 80s all the films they showed had been at the Odeon 6-12 months before and the seats were falling apart (arms broken and springs poking through the seat covers).

embassy1.gif

Also have fond memories of Gamleys toyshop in Church Road and only a few doors away, Combridges (not a mis-type) bookshop.

Here it is, in all its glory (I use the term 'glory' in a very loose way)

Attachments

• Embassy Cinema 81.jpg
    Embassy Cinema 81.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 265

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
I think an old boy called 'Bullock' (funny enough) owned that butchers.
he also owned the one by the labour club that was always being vandalised by the animal libbers, he always turned the graffiti into a joke. There was also BVH and a bake n take nearby, oh yeah and i remember a nasty accedent involving a fire engine outside that BVH (about '77 at a guess)

What a load of....

Attachments

• Bullock.jpg
    Bullock.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 273

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Cappers, how did you find that picture of Cinescene? Love looking at old pictures of Brighton.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
My contribution;

Coasters

The Classic Cinema Western Road

Capital Pizza top of west Street - Quality entertainment after a night out, then round the corner to Duke Street to join the queue up the stairs for an Ace Taxi home

That horrible Solitaire shop at the front of Churchill sq

Attachments

• Coasters.jpg
    Coasters.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 275
  • Classic Cinema 1979.jpg
    Classic Cinema 1979.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 261
  • churchill_square_1960s.jpg
    churchill_square_1960s.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 461

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Cappers, how did you find that picture of Cinescene? Love looking at old pictures of Brighton.

Old pics of parts of Brighton and Hove which are no longer there fascinate me I'm afraid. I have collected pics over time and have quite a few. bit of a nostalgic I'm afraid.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Cordoba Cafe along Westen Road Hove, nr Brunswick Square.

I'm in my element here....:rave:

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Old pics of parts of Brighton and Hove which are no longer there fascinate me I'm afraid. I have collected pics over time and have quite a few. bit of a nostalgic I'm afraid.

Me too..

Keep 'em coming :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here