Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Compare & Contrast: The Reign Of Wilkins vs. The Reign Of McGhee

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'll start...

1. Substitutions take place with barely a murmur. They don't generate three pages of angry debate on NSC.

2. Talk isn't about who the club need to buy in January, talk is about who the club need to not sell in January.

3. No slanging matches between the dugout and the South Standers behind the dugout at Withdean.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
1. because wilkins substitutions aren't ridiculous

2. we have a reasonable team

3. wilkins isn't a complete wanker

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Tom Hark said:
I'll start...

1. Substitutions take place with barely a murmur. They don't generate three pages of angry debate on NSC.

2. Talk isn't about who the club need to buy in January, talk is about who the club need to not sell in January.

3. No slanging matches between the dugout and the South Standers behind the dugout at Withdean.

1. The substitutions happened in the Championship against teams with vast budgets, with which we couldn't compete!

2. Ditto.

3. Ditto.

4. I am very happy with Wilkins, but McGHee come in for a lot of unnecessary stick. He tried his hardest and we finished our highest for a long time having lost our backbone of the team.

:wave:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
not easy to compare

I'd say McGhee's league 1 form was better than DW's (to-date)
The acid test will be to see how DW perfoms in the championship if/when we get promoted ....

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Dont think its worth commenting at this time of the season. If Wilkins beats the bench mark of 12th I thought we would get under MM then I will be very impressed.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
chez said:
I'm the same but I thought McGhee would have got us promoted so thats what I'm looking for from Wilkins.

:shootself

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Da Man Clay said:
Dont think its worth commenting at this time of the season. If Wilkins beats the bench mark of 12th I thought we would get under MM then I will be very impressed.

was thinking on these lines but have to admit the team look......well.......fresher under Wilkins!

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
McGhee's reign = a great day out in cardiff followed by our highest league position for 14 years.

Wilkins reign = (To be confirmed)

Citrus in Sheffield

Sep 16, 2005
S10
jonny.rainbow said:
McGhee's reign = a great day out in cardiff followed by our highest league position for 14 years.

Wilkins reign = (To be confirmed)

Exactly, everyone seems very quick to jump on the 'McGhee was shite' bandwagon, he achieved some great things with us. If McGhee's achievements can be mirrored or improved upon by Wilkins, I'll be delighted.

Tom Hark said:
I'll start...

Well that thread backfired didn't it? :lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Tom Hark said:
I'll start...

Yet....... is all I can say, MM was spared the above for over 2 years, so Deano has a way to go yet. Nothing more fickle than a football fan who's team lose a few..

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: Compare & Contrast: The Reign Of Wilkins vs. The Reign Of McGhee

London Irish said:
Well that thread backfired didn't it? :lolol:

4. London Irish doesn't have to spend all his Saturday nights on NSC vainly trying to defend the indefensible :lol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Re: Re: Re: Compare & Contrast: The Reign Of Wilkins vs. The Reign Of McGhee

Tom Hark said:
4. London Irish doesn't have to spend all his Saturday nights on NSC vainly trying to defend the indefensible :lol:

......such as victories at Palace and West Ham

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Re: Re: Compare & Contrast: The Reign Of Wilkins vs. The Reign Of McGhee

Barrel of Fun said:
1. The substitutions happened in the Championship against teams with vast budgets, with which we couldn't compete!

2. Ditto.

3. Ditto.

4. I am very happy with Wilkins, but McGHee come in for a lot of unnecessary stick. He tried his hardest and we finished our highest for a long time having lost our backbone of the team.

:wave:

Cant argue with that

5. Leon Knight :tosser:

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
chez said:
I'm the same but I thought McGhee would have got us promoted so thats what I'm looking for from Wilkins.
you serious? McGhoo had lost the plot. I will congratulate him for getting us up through the play off's but NEVER liked his style of play and felt he thought of himself as bigger than the club. Plus I'll also add he continually tried to play the wrong tactics with the players constantly saying we needed a big target man and moaning that none were right instead of changing his tactics to suit the players we have which Wilkins has done. Notice how we use wide men better and are scoring goals something we found hard under MM

larus

Seagullible said:
you serious? McGhoo had lost the plot. I will congratulate him for getting us up through the play off's but NEVER liked his style of play and felt he thought of himself as bigger than the club. Plus I'll also add he continually tried to play the wrong tactics with the players constantly saying we needed a big target man and moaning that none were right instead of changing his tactics to suit the players we have which Wilkins has done. Notice how we use wide men better and are scoring goals something we found hard under MM

I have to agree.

I always supported McGhee, but in the end I felt something wasn't right. Either the players weren't up to it, or the tactics or the relationship with the manager.

I am big enough to admit that it was the right thing for McGhee to leave. For a minute, let's forget the results on the pitch. Look at the way that certain players have improved and the manner in which we are playing. We are exciting to watch (OK, we'll have the odd bad day), but the football is more enjoyable. The team spirit appears to be better, and the confidence amongst the team seems better. Whether we go up or not this year is not the most important thing; we need to retain this squad. This is the basis for a successful team for the future.

However, for those that say McGhee was crap, that is frankly bulls**t. He got us promoted, kept us up against the odds the first season, had players sold that he would have rather kept, and was competing at a higher level than DW is, against bigger clubs with bigger budgets and decent facilities which may help attract players.

Totally dismissing what McGhee achieved just shows certain posters to be either stupid or ignorant. How can they expect other posters to listen to their point of view, when they are so myopic?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here