Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Common names fr pet dogs

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I wanted to call ours Defur (defur dog, geddit) but was outvoted.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
When I was growing up my parents owned a dog boarding kennels in Shoreham, so with 100 or so dogs around all the time we got quite a variety of names. One thing always struck though, whenever you had a dog get famous on the TV, after a few weeks you would get inundated with dogs of the same name - admitedly this is going back to the 70s, but at one point we had loads called "Freeway" after the pooch in Hart to Hart and later there were loads of "Bouncers" (neighbours).

Just no originality, some people. Had to laugh the other day though when I heard some scruffy woman calling her dog "Aquarius" - ridiculous.

'Fido' used to be the name for all theoretical, cartoon, or sketched dogs - but it's never one I've heard of for an actual pet.

Great name for any pet, really.
Fido the lizard, budgie, gerbil, hamster, goldfish ??

(tough crowd, can't hear any applause for this one)

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Tyson is still a hugely popular name for a certain breed of dog. We talked our son out of calling his staff Tyson so he opted for Bruno instead!

Tentative plans to call our Newfoundland "Nigel" failed and we ended up with Lewis. Can you imagine standing in the park shouting "Nigel!"?

My wife's uncle has a dog called Rex and one called Prince.

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
We wanted to call our dog 'Gary' but couldn't because my brother-in-law doesn't get on with his neighbour also called Gary!
If I had a staffy which I wanted I would have called him Bowser.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here