Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Come On Gus. Time to Prove you are a top manager

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Think he already has and think a little perspective is needed. He won us the championship of league 1 last year and we are now 11th in the Championship.....4 points off a play off place (for the Premier League)and were top for a while. If you were asked last season if you would take that scenario we all would have bitten their hand off for that. I went tonight and find the performance hard to accept but this is the reality of the Championship and we have stepped to a different standard of football. No shots on target tonight is a disgrace......but we can't win every game, we can't play amazing every game and things go bad.....for everyone time to time....some more than others admittedly!
Dos'nt have to prove anything...................because right now there's nobody else I would want in charge other than Gus.
Think about it....
But last week we were 2 pts of a play off spot. Half a dozen games ago we were a point or so from the top. We are now also 4 pts from the team above the drop. We are in free fall.

There is no doubt Lord Gus can produce great football. My point is when things are going wrong, and lets face it 4 points from 27, I think we can class that as something wrong, he needs to be able to adapt. I fail to see the point of trying to play his brand of football week in week out, and not getting any results. One goal in 5, and I think 1 shot on target in the last three games, says it all.

He needs to be able to switch the style of play, to better suit the players he has available. Sure the end result of pretty football is great, but what's the point of it when all you do is continue to drop down the league. I think he needs to change the style for a few games, and then go back to playing sexy football when results pick up, and he has all his sexy footballers fit and rearing to go. Too many of the current crop are not good enough, so why ask them to do something they are not capable of.

Because at the moment defeat defeat draw defeat defeat draw is only going to lead to one thing.

The only other major grip I would have with him, is playing Barnes where hes playing him. Nothing against Barnes, but either play him as a striker or don't, because he clearly is out of position. For a team that has Mackil-Smith up top, Buckley Vincente LuaLua and Noone, we should be more attack minded, not just playing one winger and an out of position striker playing out wide and being asked to defend.

And before people moan, it clearly isn't working any more, and he needs to change it, as otherwise I dont see where the next win is going to come from. Teams have sussed us, and take West Ham, teams can sit back and play that way as they have done in the last few games or so, and thats why our shots on target tally is so shit. Teams dont care if we have all the possesion, because we are not doing anything with it.

And I dont want to see any else in charge other than Gus, becuase the good times under him are like nothing else we'll ever know. All I am saying, is he needs to be able to apadt when things go wrong, because we are clearly not good enough to play his way when things are not going well.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Too be fair though, I think I have been proved right on Ashley Barnes. He clearly is a class below everyone else we have here. Still believe if the injuiries weren't the way they have been this season, he would be out on loan somewhere by now

I disagree. I think last season he showed he was befitting of a place in the team. If he isn't shining this year it's a combination of signing up players with champions league and premier league experience, him being barely into his twenties, so not being in his prime yet, and playing him in a withdrawn role that negates his positive contributions he made last year, and some people (and I mean some people, I'm not saying it as a veiled implication I mean you) ignore the contribution he has made defensively this season because they only judge him a striker or forward not as a footballer or team player. (I have also experienced several people around me criticising him because they mistook Dicker and Sparrow for him, so I do wonder how much of his supposed negatives are actually his and not someone else's being pushed on to him). But this is something we'll never agree on, so there's no point in getting into it.

joker

BHA Blues Away
Aug 2, 2010
Eastbourne
Good thread this, to be fair, I saw flashes of our pre Gus football last night with hoof ball at times, in fairness to Gus he is missing the quality signings apart from CMS, look at our injury list, Vicente, Reyes, Buckley, Hoskins, we miss the grit of El-Abd, Bridcutt picked up an injury, god knows what is wrong with Dunk and Lua-Lua, add all that together and we go back to Gus statement of League one players in the Championship.
I agree with Mr Burns that this is the first real managerial test of Gus career, I'm sure he will come out successful and my cup is always half full but he does need to get the team believing again.
Unfortunately Greer is going through a dip in form and as captain it is spreading throughout the team, three points on Sunday and it all looks completely different again, we are only four points from the play offs after all

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
But last week we were 2 pts of a play off spot. Half a dozen games ago we were a point or so from the top. We are now also 4 pts from the team above the drop. We are in free fall.

There is no doubt Lord Gus can produce great football. My point is when things are going wrong, and lets face it 4 points from 27, I think we can class that as something wrong, he needs to be able to adapt. I fail to see the point of trying to play his brand of football week in week out, and not getting any results. One goal in 5, and I think 1 shot on target in the last three games, says it all.

He needs to be able to switch the style of play, to better suit the players he has available. Sure the end result of pretty football is great, but what's the point of it when all you do is continue to drop down the league. I think he needs to change the style for a few games, and then go back to playing sexy football when results pick up, and he has all his sexy footballers fit and rearing to go. Too many of the current crop are not good enough, so why ask them to do something they are not capable of.

Because at the moment defeat defeat draw defeat defeat draw is only going to lead to one thing.

The only other major grip I would have with him, is playing Barnes where hes playing him. Nothing against Barnes, but either play him as a striker or don't, because he clearly is out of position. For a team that has Mackil-Smith up top, Buckley Vincente LuaLua and Noone, we should be more attack minded, not just playing one winger and an out of position striker playing out wide and being asked to defend.

And before people moan, it clearly isn't working any more, and he needs to change it, as otherwise I dont see where the next win is going to come from. Teams have sussed us, and take West Ham, teams can sit back and play that way as they have done in the last few games or so, and thats why our shots on target tally is so shit. Teams dont care if we have all the possesion, because we are not doing anything with it.

And I dont want to see any else in charge other than Gus, becuase the good times under him are like nothing else we'll ever know. All I am saying, is he needs to be able to apadt when things go wrong, because we are clearly not good enough to play his way when things are not going well.

Cannot disagree with a word of that....The fact is that we have scored one goal in four games. Played 90mins last night against a side that will be in the bottom 6 and did not have one shot on target. If there was a table based on the last 9 games, we would be bottom. Some people on here are saying Poyet is the greatest manager we have ever had. The bare fact is he has won one promotion from league 1. As did McGhee(with no money),Taylor, Lloyd(and got us one game away from the top flight), Mullery......What Poyet done last season was fantastic and cannot be taken away from him, but that is history. Maybe just maybe, he isn't up to championship standard and if he cant take a bit of flack then football managment is clearly not for him long term because as sure as eggs are eggs, all managers get some.

Interesting thread but having just heard the Gus post match interview I have my concerns of how he is going to react to this situation as well as how the team reacts.

The interview was another of his 'latin temperament' ones where he is deeply depressed and making subtle threats which can be counter productive. It was only last week he said 'Brighton is back' and I agreed that the 'football' part of the West Ham game was the best for a long time but it still didn't carry a goal scoring threat and at the moment that is the MAJOR issue to be concerned about.

We haven't scored goals and we don't look like scoring goals - hence Gus has to make his main priority an improvement is creating goal scoring opportunities. If he doesn't we will fall into trouble - if he does then with the players we have we should start to score again.

He needs to be less emotional and more focussed on how we are going to improve things and lets hope that starts on Sunday as if we don't beat Barnsley it won't just be the pies people will be complaining about!
Personaly

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
IN--GUS--I--TRUST

we are in a decent position

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here