Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Come On Gus. Time to Prove you are a top manager

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
There is no point to him keep saying that "If the players are not good enough we'll get more in.... simple" He has to make do with what he has, and manage them to play to the best of their ability. There's no point in flogging a dead horse trying to play a way that is clearly no longer is working.

Now other teams have sussed us out, its hard to see where the next 3 points come from, all the time Gus persists with his way of football.

Nine league games without a win and 3 or 4 points, suggests it isn't working any more.

He can't keep asking players to play a way they are clearly not up to playing.

Anyone manager can manage a team when they are winning every week. Great managers show their true worth when sides are struggling, and Lord Gus at the moment is coming up woefully short. He needs to sort things out fast, otherwise forget about Tottenham or another top side poaching him, he may well get his wish and go home.

Sure he has been unlucky with injuiries, but he has to manage the side, and manage the players he has left to their strengths. We all love the pretty football, but nows the time to change it for a while until we get things back on track. If he can't/wont do it and can't get the side playing another way, then we are in trouble.

Not many managers get away with this sort of run these days, and whilst thankfully no one has called for his head yet, he's going to have to start rethinking things, because its clearly not working any more Gus, and if he cannot come up with another system to kick start things again, I think Lord Gus of Poyet, may well be in for a bit of shock.

Last edited:

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I think when Buckley comes back we need to go big time offensive, especially our home games. Im talking about Buckley and Noone/LuaLua on both wings and Vicente behind CMS. We have a massive pitch which was specifically made for us to play with wingers and playing fast attacking football.

Our defence is clearly not good enough for us to play so tight, we need to scare the shit out of other teams so they worry about US and not us worrying about them.

Thats my thoughts after one too many beers tonight!

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
There is no point to him keep saying that "If the players are not good enough we'll get more in.... simple" He has to make do with what he has, and manage them to play to the best of their ability. There's no point in flogging a dead horse trying to play a way that is clearly no longer is working.

Now other teams have sussed us out, its hard to see where the next 3 points come from, all the time Gus persists with his way of football.

Nine league games without a win and 3 or 4 points, suggests it isn't working any more.

He can't keep asking players to play a way they are clearly not up to playing.

Anyone manager can manage a team when they are winning every week. Great managers show their true worth when sides are struggling, and Lord Gus at the moment is coming up woefully short. He needs to sort things out fast, otherwise forget about Tottenham or another top side poaching him, he may well get his wish and go home.

Sure he has been unlucky with injuiries, but he has to manage the side, and manage the players he has left to their strengths. We all love the pretty football, but nows the time to change it for a while until we get things back on track. If he can't/wont do it and can't get the side playing another way, then we are in trouble.

Not many managers get away with this sort of run these days, and whilst thankfully no one has called for his head yet, he's going to have to start rethinking things, because its clearly not working any more Gus, and if he cannot come up with another system to kick start things again, I think Lord Gus of Poyet, may well be in for a bit of shock.

You know what, some of our players arn't good enough, but you can't just change the way you play overnight! Tonight the team DIDN'T pass the ball around and this was worse I have seen them play for a long while! What do you want? Shall we go back to the hoof ball of Adams? Some idiots like yourself need a reality check, we are going to have shit performances this season, we are not going to win the league and we won't be relegated. People like you need to man up and realise that building a team takes time, this year should be about staying in this league and will do that! Just accept that maybe we arn't as good as buffoons like you maybe thought we were after 5 games!

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
You know what, some of our players arn't good enough, but you can't just change the way you play overnight! Tonight the team DIDN'T pass the ball around and this was worse I have seen them play for a long while! What do you want? Shall we go back to the hoof ball of Adams? Some idiots like yourself need a reality check, we are going to have shit performances this season, we are not going to win the league and we won't be relegated. People like you need to man up and realise that building a team takes time, this year should be about staying in this league and will do that! Just accept that maybe we arn't as good as buffoons like you maybe thought we were after 5 games!
Calm down Doris. Take a f***ing chill pill.

I know you can't change the way you play overnight, but then you dont lose 5 and draw 4 games over night. Hell of a fixture list if we did. That takes a couple of months, so yes, I'd say he needs to change it.

No, I don't want hoof ball. Did you not know there are more than 2 ways of playing football. Although judging by your reply, I doubt if you do. Gus' way, and hoof ball are not the only way of doing things.

I'm an idiot, buffoon, and need to man up! You need to learn to debate things, Mr JCL. f***ing hell, and people say I need anger management!! Whats the matter mate, wifey not letting you have any!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Have to say I don't understand why you have to be abusive to people in order to get your point across, comes over as not being able to communicate in a civilised manner. C'est la vie.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Think he already has and think a little perspective is needed. He won us the championship of league 1 last year and we are now 11th in the Championship.....4 points off a play off place (for the Premier League)and were top for a while. If you were asked last season if you would take that scenario we all would have bitten their hand off for that. I went tonight and find the performance hard to accept but this is the reality of the Championship and we have stepped to a different standard of football. No shots on target tonight is a disgrace......but we can't win every game, we can't play amazing every game and things go bad.....for everyone time to time....some more than others admittedly!
Dos'nt have to prove anything...................because right now there's nobody else I would want in charge other than Gus.
Think about it....

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
We need a plan B. We also need to be opportunistic. If we need a bit of direct hoof ball occasionally as a plan B instead of messing around at the back then let's just whack it up there. I like pretty tippy-tappy football as much as anyone but we've hit relegation form and we need goals and points. Simple as that.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I dont get how, when I would like us to be QUICKER (witness Hulls precise passing ON THE DECK recently) and show more URGENCY I am advocating long balll hoofing. Not at all. But as commented by people last nite when we get over the half way line e DONT Have to go back to the keeper!

We need to match what other teams are doing. Hell even Peterboro looked better than us and if it wasnt for their woeful finishing it would have been a draw.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
We need a plan B. We also need to be opportunistic. If we need a bit of direct hoof ball occasionally as a plan B instead of messing around at the back then let's just whack it up there. I like pretty tippy-tappy football as much as anyone but we've hit relegation form and we need goals and points. Simple as that.

YES,YES AND A BILLION TIMES YES

I still have total faith in Gus , and I'm certain he'll turn it around.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think, mr burns, you have been too... reasoned(?) with this post. You need to make wild accusation of cowardice (or "acting like a coward") and then tell eople they can't use all the stats showing the good aspects of Gus's career to defend him, and generally antagonise nsc with a more aggressive and negative appraisal.

It helped propel Ashley Barnes to a 20 goals season, and you've lost the chance to help turn Gus's season around. Shame on you!

(I mean this all in a lighthearted way :jester:)

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Has nothing to prove to me.

Has done an immense job thus far. We are in a ridiculous injury crisis and mid table. No panic.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Work in progress, and will be for the rest of the season. He can only take the current crop so far.

Did he make an error in thinking the quality within his squad was better than it is? Maybe, maybe not. But then he's on a learning curve too. Knowing what to do to remedy this, and having the quality in place to do so are two different issues.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Its annoying after a good SOLID perf at Brum we serve up that shit last nite :(

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Gus is treading in areas he hasn't been before tactically, trouble is the players may lose faith in his methods before all the supporters do and unrest in the dressing room is a recipe for disaster, it's a very tough league so any drop in effort is punished, as is tactical uncertainty, which is what last night sounded like, teams will only let us play tip tap stuff in our own half, where it doesn't hurt them, cross halfway and we need pace and guile.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

spot on

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that Gus big mistake is that he expected Harley to slot in immediately and do for us what George Boyd does for Peterborough and provide CMS with the goalscoring opportunities. Unfortunately this hasn't worked out and with Vicente not being fit we do not have a brain in midfield to supply the front men with chances.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Work in progress, and will be for the rest of the season. He can only take the current crop so far.

Did he make an error in thinking the quality within his squad was better than it is? Maybe, maybe not. But then he's on a learning curve too. Knowing what to do to remedy this, and having the quality in place to do so are two different issues.

he made it clear at the start of the season he wanted to find out how good the team were...he gave it time...played down the start we made and has tried to rectify the problems with three signings...4 if u include vincente...unfortunately 2 of those are injured and one has just joined ..he has also made it clear there isn't any magic pot of dough ..the rest..time will tell

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I think, mr burns, you have been too... reasoned(?) with this post. You need to make wild accusation of cowardice (or "acting like a coward") and then tell eople they can't use all the stats showing the good aspects of Gus's career to defend him, and generally antagonise nsc with a more aggressive and negative appraisal.

It helped propel Ashley Barnes to a 20 goals season, and you've lost the chance to help turn Gus's season around. Shame on you!

(I mean this all in a lighthearted way :jester:)
Too be fair though, I think I have been proved right on Ashley Barnes. He clearly is a class below everyone else we have here. I Still believe if the injuiries weren't the way they have been this season, he would be out on loan somewhere by now.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here