Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Colston Four Cleared

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I find that a lot of these extreme right wingers are angry little ****ers who can't leave anything alone, whether they understand it or not. The 'thumbs upping' is so passive-agressive. I can imagine them perpetually straining at stool, not sure whether to force it out or hold it in :lolol:

View attachment 143502

What an interesting thought process.

Still, whatever floats yer boat, or floater in this case.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
The crime of murdering 19,000 innocent people is far greater, this was clearly in the minds of the jury

Hopefully they will replace the statue with someone who represents the common good

Why do we need statues? Everybody’s cupboard contains a skeleton, everyone’s got enemies and we seem to live in a world now where nothing less than perfection will do. And you need to define that first! In other words, you’ll never get agreement on who is good and who is bad so best do away with altogether? Stick a tree up instead.
#SaveTheCement

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The crime of murdering 19,000 innocent people is far greater, this was clearly in the minds of the jury

Hopefully they will replace the statue with someone who represents the common good

I'm intrigued as to how you know what was 'clearly' in the mind of the jurors?

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I assume you hadn't got to my later post?

Now I don't think I've commented on the actual trial before, and don't think I have anything to add - the jury will have heard the evidence, been given direction by the judge, and come to their verdict. That is how it is supposed to work, justice has been done.
No - sorry - I will look now. Busy times mean I'm not on here for long and read the first few posts of a topic...

Absolutely agree about the trial. The jury were there and (thankfully) I was not. I really don't envy those on a jury.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
There are no historic figures who could be honoured for their good deeds. Who in history had all the right views about slavery, votes for women, homosexuality, and transgender rights? I suspect it is no-one at all.

I am not sure we have reliable opinion from most historical figures, we do know Colston was happy to profit from slavery. On the other hand, I am not sure how philanthropic other slavers were at home, so perhaps he deserves some level of note for that, and if in fact the council had updated the plaque on the statue to include the facts of where his wealth came from, instead of just "Erected by citizens of Bristol as a memorial of one of the most virtuous and wise sons of their city" it would not have caused so much upset.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think this is the rub for me. As I've said previously, this sets a defensive precedent for others that take the law into their own hands. For example, lets say Extinction Rebellion start torching cars on the basis that the use of those cars is contributing to the destruction of the planet and therefore destroying the cars is, in the long term, justifiable.

My view is it would have served a better purpose if they had been found guilty but given a token punishment eg fine 1p which would reflect the historical nature of what they did.

Again....I agree, but it may be the case that sentencing guidelines don't allow this.

Jurors, though. Fancy letting members of the public decide cases?

I would add that whereas a majority (yes, a majority; Das Reich is not representative of the majority) of the populace can see that a slave owner is probably not someone to be venerated, the same majority would not regard a family car as something deserving of immolation. Yes, extinction rebellion may decide to burn family cars, but a jury, even a raving left wing activist jury like the one, obviously, that acquitted the statue Criminals, is unlikely to determine that, yes, that Mondeo had it coming, the prefabricated mechanical barstard!

This thread appears to be manifesting the reciprocal of Godwin's law, whereby we start with an action against a racist, and end up condemning the action because what if someone decided that they objected to motherhood - we'd have to burn all the mothers! I'll call this Das Reich's law :rolleyes:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm intrigued as to how you know what was 'clearly' in the mind of the jurors?

Well it's difficult, but I'd imagine they were presented a compelling argument from the defence that a crime wasn't committed and agreed.

But of course, that is only my opinion.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You're just pissed off because the blacks won.

I also support their right to identify as black

_122601201_11fa332a-7726-4188-bea6-c8d874edb4c3.jpg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think this is the rub for me. As I've said previously, this sets a defensive precedent for others that take the law into their own hands. For example, lets say Extinction Rebellion start torching cars on the basis that the use of those cars is contributing to the destruction of the planet and therefore destroying the cars is, in the long term, justifiable.

My view is it would have served a better purpose if they had been found guilty but given a token punishment eg fine 1p which would reflect the historical nature of what they did.

I said earlier that I understand this point of view but don't agree with it. Extinction Rebellion have been tried and acquitted on similar charges. Doesn't seem to have sparked a wave in criminal damage.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ebellion-protesters-despite-no-defence-in-law

You say they should have been found guilty and given a token charge. But they were found innocent. So they should be found guilty and fined? Even though they are innocent? Just to appease people who don't understand the law and might attack another statue? Again. that is simply not how the law works.

Frankly, I worry that you have been on Jury service with that philosophy! :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here