Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cologne - any advice?

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
If you've any interest in modern history, go to Bonn for a day.

The Haus der Geschichte (History of West Germany) is brilliant.

Have to say I was not overbothered by Cologne - much preferred Düsseldorf. A brilliant city for a raucous night out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Definitely go to the cathedral (the Dom) as it houses my favourite ever piece of art: Gerhard Richter's "symphony of light."

There's also a cool little crossroads with three bars on it. One is housed in an old pharmacy. Ill find out the address for you today.

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
yes the dom is a must and a trip down the rhine to bonn not a bad idea
but carnival is crazy, if you around on the thursday "weiberfastnacht" make sure you get up early ,
the party starts before breakfast
on monday..."rosenmontag" find yourself a good place to enjoy the procession from
the only alternative is to get out of town!
have you booked a hotel, prices will be higher for that weekend

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Loads of footy within easy reach of cologne. dortmund is about 1 hour on the train (i think?) to experience the biggest and best tarrace in european football for example. great train connections from cologne. dusseldorf. leverkusen etc etc. check out the fixtures for the weekend sir.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Loads of footy within easy reach of cologne. dortmund is about 1 hour on the train (i think?) to experience the biggest and best tarrace in european football for example. great train connections from cologne. dusseldorf. leverkusen etc etc. check out the fixtures for the weekend sir.

Ah cool, I shall have to check the trains out.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
There are many bars and Brauhäuser in Köln, including many where you can sit outside overlooking the Rhine or the market squares in the touristy Altstadt. My favourite was Päffgen (Friesenstrasse 64), a roomy, relaxed Hausbrauerei (brewpub) about 5-10 minutes from the Dom by foot. It is popular with the locals and is outside of the main tourist trap, serving excellent food and their own, pleasingly hoppy Päffgen Kölsch. There's a leafy, walled Biergarten at the rear and their Himmel un Äd was sublime

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's pretty easy to have a good time in Cologne. Lots of Brauhaus activity, eat and drink well, get out and about in those old streets down by the river, walk all the way up the Dom, boat trip, football in the city or nearby. Sorted.

And don't bother buying any original Cologne from that shop for the other half, it might be a nice idea but she'll hate it, and it will still be standing unused five years later in the bathroom.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here