Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coldean Lane closed 5 to 7 March

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
For anyone who usually drives down Coldean Lane to either park in Coldean or get to the P&R at Mithras, please note there are currently roadworks and temporary lights on Coldean Lane by the church.

These will last for 3 weeks before moving to the bottom of the lane by The Hikers for another 3 weeks.

Please leave extra time for your journey, and be aware it will likely take longer to get home after the game (but please don't leave the game early to make up for it...).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just had been warned by the Coldean Residents Association that Coldean Lane will be closed completely between 5 and 7 March. It doesn't give any timings but if they're working in the evening, it will have an impact on access to the Cardiff game.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Is it totally shut as in you cannot even drive down it ? Or up it after the game on Wednesday ?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Is it totally shut as in you cannot even drive down it ? Or up it after the game on Wednesday ?

Yes. It's totally shut - what I don't know is whether it will be reopened on Weds evening

Road Works on Coldean Lane | Coldean Residents Association

Oh, and *** Roadworks on Coldean Lane *** - although I won't fixture you as is had slipped down the pages and it is important (plus you give more info)

I did do a search and as the other threads did mention roadworks but NOT total closure, I thought it would be worth flagging again

The plan seems to be to send anyone travelling from the A23 / A27 via Coldean Lane to the Sussex University car parks along a diversionary route that uses Forest / Rushlake / Hawkhurst Roads. The same diversion will apply to people who use Coldean Lane to get to the Mithras House P&R site.

Will they be banning all parking on those roads as well?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The plan seems to be to send anyone travelling from the A23 / A27 via Coldean Lane to the Sussex University car parks along a diversionary route that uses Forest / Rushlake / Hawkhurst Roads. The same diversion will apply to people who use Coldean Lane to get to the Mithras House P&R site.

Will they be banning all parking on those roads as well?

There are police No Parking bollards on Rushlake Road and Forest Road already so I suspect they will be clamping down hard on parking. The bottom end of Rushlake Road is not very wide.

And for those who park on the green outside the Hikers - there are now bollards in place trying to stop parking there.

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
f***ing roadworks, who city is a mess at the moment, especially ditchling road....complete joke this town is sometimes

A joke? Does it not happen elsewhere then?

How about they do it in the summer then? :rolleyes:

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
A joke? Does it not happen elsewhere then?

How about they do it in the summer then? :rolleyes:

what im saying is, are these roadworks essential, and theyre not actually spending it so they get more money from the government, yes its all over the country, but it just pisses me off, i mean, the cycle lane in shoreham road, do we need that? how about doing the roadworks at different times if theyre so close to each other, you have ditchling road, london road just past preston circus, down to 1 lane, and old shoreham road, all in the main area, just pisses me off

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
The works in Ditchling Road are gas replacement works aren't they? In which case the government has no influence here.

The cycle lane (which I don't object to) does sound like more of a case of local government using up their budget before the end of March though.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The roadworks in Coldean Lane are to install new traffic lights to serve the expanded Varley Halls.

They've been needed for some time - there's a bus stop there and it's a bit of a pain trying to cross the road.

The works in Ditchling Road are gas replacement works aren't they? In which case the government has no influence here.
Electricity. The Ditchling Road works are to allow UK Power Networks to replace a high voltage cable on the main distribution network. The works were originally intended to be done in a way that allowed single file traffic to pass the site at reduced speeds, but what happened was that so many drivers ignored the restrictions that speeding traffic became a constant hazard to the contractor's work force. UK Power Networks therefore introduced a complete road closure, causing a huge inconvenience to everyone. They now hope to re-open the road on 20 March, but it could take longer. Who's to blame? Inconsiderate drivers.

The organisation that I work for is providing a minibus service (every 20 minutes, 9am - 6pm, free of charge) to serve people who live between Warleigh Road and Five Ways, to cover for the fact that Brighton & Hove Buses can't run their buses down Ditchling Road and only a minibus can manage the turning manoeuvre that is need at the southern end of the stretch of road that is affected.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
This is about to get much worse. Coldean Lane is closed for 3 days from Hawkhurst Road to just past the church. There is a diversion through the estate.

I'm not sure if it reopens on Wednesday evening or Thursday morning, but please be aware.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here