Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cold light of day - post Potter

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I feel extremely let down by Potter, Roberts and Bruno. I hope it goes horribly wrong and Chelsea tank.

As for us, I trust Bloom and Barber to know what they’re doing. The next few weeks define our immediate future, get it right and we will continue the trajectory toward another top half finish, get it wrong and we could be looking over our shoulders sooner than we care to think.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Cold light of the day, Potter is a mercenary knob who stabbed his former bosses in the back in the way he left and who he took with him and not only left us in the shit but, right now, killed our dreams of what could be.

Yes what he did here was amazing. But...

It's like me and my ex-wife. We had a great thing at the time and I've a wonderful daughter, but she's still a f-ing bitch for what she did (the ex) even tho it's nearly 30 years ago and I've been happily remarried for 25 years. Whereas she's gone through a couple more marriages that didn't last (oh dear, not).

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I do feel disappointment over what has happened and who is going.

But I also am sure it is not a decision GP will have taken lightly, he will need to be confident - or as confident as he can be - that Chelsea are in it for the long term.

Yes, we might crash and burn, but the football philosophy is famously and seamlessly instilled throughout the club. If the recruitment process is right, it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that the new guy (or woman, now there’s a thought) can build on what has already there this season.

Yes, I have always been a glass half full person, but I am currently feeling a mixture of trepidation, anticipation and excitement. We are an attractive prospect as a club to attract decent people who can do the right thing.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Cold light of day, I'm still mostly…

5signsyoumightbedepressed-main-1519411682.jpg

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The players have been doing the business on the pitch not Potter, there are many reasons to be excited for the future. This hasn’t been a massive shock to Bloom, Chelsea have been tapping up Potter since the summer.

Not sure I agree entirely with your first point as the tactics will be down to Potter and his team but I certainly agree with your second point.

Still can't believe what's happened. Feels like everything the club has done over last 3 years just dismantled in 24 hours! Begin to wonder whether Potter had thought that he wasn't being backed in terms of getting that elusive striker with the Cuca cash and therefore feeling he'd done all he can and the writing was on the wall before season kicked off?. I'm probably wrong though.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Ok. I feel let down and disappointed by the events of yesterday. Bruno going was the emotional punch to the stomach.

But, I feel supreme confidence in Tony Bloom and Paul Barber. They will be ready for this and all the evidence suggests that their plans to replace are in place and rolling. Reading PB’s comments on the club website reinforce that belief.

We will have a new management team in place soon, and let’s remember that unlike last time, we are at the top end of the league. There will not only be managers we have kept tabs on, the phone will be ringing.

As to GP and his team. I wish them well. I just wish it was at a club where I did not mind him succeeding. Hopefully he will be England manager soon.

We will get through this transition. The project continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think ‘the project’ just ended! But yes, we will regroup and find our way through in time, make a fresh start. Will take a bit of time though, no dressing things up: we’ve been practically gutted as a club. Serious upheaval, which could even see us relegated.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Ok. I feel let down and disappointed by the events of yesterday. Bruno going was the emotional punch to the stomach.

But, I feel supreme confidence in Tony Bloom and Paul Barber. They will be ready for this and all the evidence suggests that their plans to replace are in place and rolling. Reading PB’s comments on the club website reinforce that belief.

We will have a new management team in place soon, and let’s remember that unlike last time, we are at the top end of the league. There will not only be managers we have kept tabs on, the phone will be ringing.

As to GP and his team. I wish them well. I just wish it was at a club where I did not mind him succeeding. Hopefully he will be England manager soon.

We will get through this transition. The project continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish I could show the same generosity of spirit as yourself.
This man has clearly negotiated an exit behind Tony Bloom's back and for some time. These events don't happen this quickly without everything already being in place. It has been planned and ruthlessly executed. Tony Bloom and Thomas Tuchel were totally in the dark, left shocked and devastated. According to reports the ex Chelsea manager was in tears, begging for his job.
Our owner deserved better. We have been stripped bare. Even losing people he inherited.
No goodwill here.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
My thoughts:

The Potter reign, which was very much a collective effort from TB downwards including scouting and recruitment, transformed us to a team capable of outplaying and beating anyone except Mansour’s sports-washers (down to 10 men, when 11 they always played through and around us). A huge feat on our budget.

But it wasn’t overnight, even last season there were huge non-winning runs, over Potter’s time, home wins and goals were rare.

Until it all, finally, clicked into place last April at the Emirates. From then on in, the best Albion football I’ve seen. Finding Caicedo, MacA, Veltman, Cucu, Trossard isn’t on Potter …. the praise lies with others at the club.

Regarding Potter’s departure, I think the emotional investment we put in him was one-sided, hence the hurt now. To him, it was purely business, we were a brief stepping stone in his ambitions and the wonderful support of TB/PB/PW facilitated that. It’s a two-way street, if Potter hadn’t joined us and instead one of the many knee-jerk clubs, it’s quite possible that he wouldn’t be at a top 6 club right now.

Gutted that he’s unblinkingly taking so many staff with him. Revealing that Boehly and Potter see this as simply cold, hard business. There’s no special bond with us, managers sometimes have that with former clubs, not here. You can bet your bottom dollar that will continue with laser focus in taking Caicedo and Mac Allister.

So, thanks for the football, and the wins in the final 6 months. But at this time, I reciprocate his lack of sentiment.

Looking forward, I have total trust in TB and PB, the club’s in a great place. The right appointment, this could be different and exciting. Let’s stick together and UTA.

Superb post and I echo. Can’t find words myself, very strange morning.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Naively, I’d love to think that’s not the case.

But as times goes on, I suspect you’re right. Boehly probably also sounded out Poch and Zidane.
Unfortunately they admitted to sounding out Potter during the Cucurella transfer even asking him if he felt comfortable stepping up to a top six club.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Still can't believe what's happened. Feels like everything the club has done over last 3 years just dismantled in 24 hours! Begin to wonder whether Potter had thought that he wasn't being backed in terms of getting that elusive striker with the Cuca cash and therefore feeling he'd done all he can and the writing was on the wall before season kicked off?. I'm probably wrong though.

Nah………we now know there are 60 million reasons why he left.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think ‘the project’ just ended! But yes, we will regroup and find our way through in time, make a fresh start. Will take a bit of time though, no dressing things up: we’ve been practically gutted as a club. Serious upheaval, which could even see us relegated.

Nope. One of the project managers and a few of his staff are changing, but the project carries on. Tony won’t **** this up, him and Barbs are too experienced at this PL game now.

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
Cold light of the day, Potter is a mercenary knob who stabbed his former bosses in the back in the way he left and who he took with him and not only left us in the shit but, right now, killed our dreams of what could be.

Yes what he did here was amazing. But...

It's like me and my ex-wife. We had a great thing at the time and I've a wonderful daughter, but she's still a f-ing bitch for what she did (the ex) even tho it's nearly 30 years ago and I've been happily remarried for 25 years. Whereas she's gone through a couple more marriages that didn't last (oh dear, not).
Spot on

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
At this moment in time I worry about the next appointment. I'm sure the club are far more aware of potential candidates than me, but I can't see practically one good candidate out there who would suit us.

Rodgers - is a no for me. Seems to have lost his love of the game over the last year.
Frank - would fit our profile but with relations between us and Brentford, I just can't see this happening.
Postecoglou - I know little about him in fairness but his previous experience and profile doesn't appear attractive - similar case with Mazzu and would he leave Anderlecht after 3 months?
Nathan Jones - Too inexperienced and hot headed
Pochettino - will see us too small and only a stepping stone
Dyche and Parker - just No and No

Leaving Knutsen as the most viable.

Knowing the Albion they will find someone none of us have heard of or predicted. In TB I trust.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here