Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

COG Stays

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
What the **** is wrong with this forum. How can anyone seriously think we're going to aspire to be in or around the promotion places with CHRIS O'GRADY in the team. Did you not watch any football last year? DId you not see that we COULDN'T SCORE and he absolutely DOESN'T suit our style of play?

The mind truly baffles. CMS scored more than COG last year and I don't see anyone saying we should keep him, so why are muppets backing O'grady?

Feb 14, 2010
What the **** is wrong with this forum. How can anyone seriously think we're going to aspire to be in or around the promotion places with CHRIS O'GRADY in the team. Did you not watch any football last year? DId you not see that we COULDN'T SCORE and he absolutely DOESN'T suit our style of play?

The mind truly baffles. CMS scored more than COG last year and I don't see anyone saying we should keep him, so why are muppets backing O'grady?

well, I couldnt agree more, but then we are a club who thought it a great idea to spend £2.5 Million on CMS instead of giving Murray a pay rise.. and some still think that was a good idea.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
COG is an absolute load of rubbish as a footballer and has no place being in a top 6 squad.

But we don't have one at the moment, we are transitioning from our current squad to, hopefully, a better one. If this season only sees us sign a few players we'd need the few that remain. I don't wamt to see COG play much next season but some matches do need different options and we need a whole squad of players.

Feb 14, 2010
COG is an absolute load of rubbish as a footballer and has no place being in a top 6 squad.

But we don't have one at the moment, we are transitioning from our current squad to, hopefully, a better one. If this season only sees us sign a few players we'd need the few that remain. I don't wamt to see COG play much next season but some matches do need different options and we need a whole squad of players.

Can I just ask what is "transitional". Is this the same myth that said that we cant go straight up after promotion from div 1 and we had to "consolidate". Interesting that neither palace or Bournemouth suffered from the same afflictions as "consolidation" and "transition".

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
Peter Withe was a similar sort of forward to COG. Bit of a nomadic player, no real pace, his strengths were largely with his back to goal and he never really had a prolific goal scoring record. He bumbled around for years until Clough and Taylor picked him up, then he went on to pick up a handful of England caps, win two first division titles (with Forest and Villa) and a European Cup (Villa). I'm not for one second suggesting that COG is going to evolve into an England international or European cup winner, but what I'm saying is that sometimes things just 'click' for a player especially when they've got some faith or knowledge in the future (he now knows he's staying put).

I may be way off by saying all this and I'm sure some clever clogs will remind me if things don't turn out the way we all would like, but I honestly believe that COG is good enough at this level to play in a top tier team. Whether that's as a regular or as a member of the squad - who knows.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Oh I was referring to BG's anti Stockdale stanci would e.

I wouldnt disagree with the fact that based on his mostly poor performances I was anti Stockdale but Ihave said recently on here that this is a new season and all start with a clean sheet. If he performs like one would expect for a £1m rated keeper who was on the verges of international call up rather than an inexperienced lower league keeper out of his depth, then he will get support and praise from everybody me Inckuded.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Two years left on his contract at 15k a week apparently. I doubt he's going anywhere too.

15k a week!? Same as CMS was supposedly on and he was a big money transfer record for us! Find that very very hard to believe. Very!

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Try this one for starters, post 144 in this thread When will we complete our first signing of the summer?

chaileyjem
Jun 2012

I'm not dressing it up. I agree with you.Ultimately the transfer window last summer was poor one for the club, the targets / signings should have been better, and its frustrating given the money TB spent and for that matter the 3 season tickets and countless pies i cough up for. I trust and hope this season is better. I'm sure O Grady will be able to double his goal tally for starters
However i don't agree that it was because "we dragged our heels" ... Our targets were wrong or the targets we landed didn't in the end deliver.
We had a poor season and made most of our 10 new signings in August doesn't mean we had a poor season BECAUSE we made most of our new signings in August. I've said this already haven't I.

Won't be hard for him to double one will it ffs! Pay him up and get shot! Just not good enough! :facepalm:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Keep avoiding answering Bensgrandad's question CJ, well done.

Why ? Why ? Why ? I dunno SF. Perhaps the club thought O Grady who'd scored 15 goals the season before might score a similar amount.I doubt they expected a league return of er, zero. Perhaps they thought L1 top scorer Baldock might score more than 3 goals in a season. Perhaps they thought Danny Holla who looked alright in Eridverse last season might shine in the Champ. Perhaps they thought McCourt would come on and / when make a few goals if needed. Perhaps they're perplexed that Gardner had a pretty good 2nd half of a season for Nottm Forest but didn't exactly perform for us in the first half.. Bennett, Stockdale might have all shown what the club saw in them but perhaps they might have been more consistent. Who knows why Tex pretty much stopped playing as soon as the clocks went back and only woke up again at Xmas. Perhaps Hyypia just wasn't up to it. Perhaps Burke had lost his touch (some on here think he never had it). I suppose these most likely answers given that they've now left the club. Perhaps it really was because a lot of the signings were made in August last summer instead of May and June but i doubt it. Perhaps it was because instead of outspending 16 of the Championship in the wages dept, we should have outspent 20 or 24 even though Bloom is already funding £10m losses a year and has invested £205m so far. I doubt that one too. Perhaps we should have signed Ward for whatever fee Wolves invented at the beginning of the window. Perhaps we shouldn't have sold Ulloa even though he and his family wanted to play in the Prem and we got £10m for him. Perhaps its because the club's have an evil plan to get us back to League 1. Perhaps its all Barbers fault. After all.

Whatever the result it wasn't because we didn't spend. We did. And we spent badly. Did we get dross as BG put it ? I hope not as I suspect Baldock, Stockdale, COG, Kayal might just well be be key players next season.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Thank you
I will now bookmark that reply for future reference, for when you lecture other posters who give their views as to why we had sh*te transfer windows and see how yours compares. But there are a lot of perhaps there, but still I detect no firm view on your part how the club can improve or have made sure our future transfer windows are not again as I quote from your previous post "were poor and targets/signings should have been better"

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Thank you
I will now bookmark that reply for future reference, for when you lecture other posters who give their views as to why we had sh*te transfer windows and see how yours compares.

Please don't . Haven' we all suffered enough.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Thank you
I will now bookmark that reply for future reference, for when you lecture other posters who give their views as to why we had sh*te transfer windows and see how yours compares. But there are a lot of perhaps there, but still I detect no firm view on your part how the club can improve or have made sure our future transfer windows are not again as I quote from your previous post "were poor and targets/signings should have been better"

What is your view on how the club can ensure that every future transfer is a success?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
What is your view on how the club can ensure that every future transfer is a success?

My view is that we have one of the best grounds and training facilities in the league. We have a great supporter base and a chairman who does not duck the issue as far as putting money into the club. But I still feel we failed in our recruitment team and policy in the last two seasons. I feel that this is the area that has let the club down and I hope that the new team we have in place will push us forward now and put a stop to money wasteful signings and be on the ball as to our future targets and start talking to these players when officially they can (6 month's prior to the end of their contract). It is too early to see if in fact we have learnt this lesson as a club, but like many others on here think, if we have been talking to players/targets in advance we will make early signings.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Thought they both got 3! As for not suiting our style, then neither does CMS.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sign better players.
There is certainly a case for signing quality over quantity.

Also, to be smarter with loan signings, and not get into the situation where we have 6 of them, yet can only play 5 in a squad.

Furthermore, we need to do an analysis of where we went wrong with the Ward transfer, and learn the lessons.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My view is that we have one of the best grounds and training facilities in the league. We have a great supporter base and a chairman who does not duck the issue as far as putting money into the club. But I still feel we failed in our recruitment team and policy in the last two seasons. I feel that this is the area that has let the club down and I hope that the new team we have in place will push us forward now and put a stop to money wasteful signings and be on the ball as to our future targets and start talking to these players when officially they can (6 month's prior to the end of their contract). It is too early to see if in fact we have learnt this lesson as a club, but like many others on here think, if we have been talking to players/targets in advance we will make early signings.
So basically you have no idea how to guarantee every future transfer is a success.

As for a chairman who does not duck the issue as far as putting money into the club
Shouldn't that read:-

a Chairman who does not duck the issue as far as putting money into the club to underwrite the ongoing multi million pound debt, as well as attempting to finance a competitive team.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
My view is that we have one of the best grounds and training facilities in the league. We have a great supporter base and a chairman who does not duck the issue as far as putting money into the club. But I still feel we failed in our recruitment team and policy in the last two seasons. I feel that this is the area that has let the club down and I hope that the new team we have in place will push us forward now and put a stop to money wasteful signings and be on the ball as to our future targets and start talking to these players when officially they can (6 month's prior to the end of their contract) . It is too early to see if in fact we have learnt this lesson as a club, but like many others on here think, if we have been talking to players/targets in advance we will make early signings.

I could be wrong, probably am, but I thought it was the last month of their contracts for domestic transfers with 6 months for everywhere else?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here